Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    New (to me) Manufacturer.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New (to me) Manufacturer.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted
Zobie has started a line of autographed trading cards:

https://shopzobie.com/collections/zobie-flipz

So far there have been 4 releases:

David Patrick Kelly ($99)
Shelley Duvall ($59.99)
Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter ($69.99 or $159.99 for 3)
William Zabka and Martin Kove of Cobra Kai ($59 Kove, $79 Zabka, $129 for both)

I just ordered the Dexter set -- which consists of a Hall autograph, Carpenter autograph and dual autograph signed by both for $160. I was able to find a coupon code online.

I'm very happy to see another manufacturer enter this space and hope they do very well.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I hope they do very well but for me these are not trading cards and it is not a trading card manufacturer, it is an autograph seller.

....or am i being harsh there?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's really interesting, thanks for pointing the site out.

I'm not sure if this one is more card making or in-person signing in nature. There are many small sites springing up now for contracting personal signings from various celebrities. Some are oddball people, but major stars are also being advertised. This seems to be the big idea because the money in autographs has gotten high enough to notice.

For Zobie, which I have not heard about, those signed cards seem to have sketch likenesses, rather than actual photos of the actors. Can't tell if they are on card autos. Also other merchandise is available for signings and pre-orders are being taken. So I don't think they are a card manufacturer just yet.

Just caught wolfie's post. I agree.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I had seen the David Patrick Kelly on Ebay before and was wondering where it came from. Already have the Star Pics and Rittenhouse versions of him. You can tell they didn't have licensing for The Warriors. Big Grin

Picked up the Duvall, certainly a much cooler card than that ugly pop century metal junk. Very cool they are limited.

The Dexter and the Cobra Kai need better designs. Dexter image almost looks like he lived during the Revolutionary War.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Can't tell if they are on card autos.

If you zoom in you can tell they are on card. I thought the Duvall was a sticker at first.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I hope they do very well but for me these are not trading cards and it is not a trading card manufacturer, it is an autograph seller.

Personally I see them as cards, and since they make a product that I think is awesome I'm going to do everything I can to support them.

I reminds me of 258 West. I wish more people supported 258 West's cards because I really enjoyed them.

I did make some suggestions to Zobie -- i.e. come up with a consistent design for their cards, be more specific about the autograph guarantee on the back of the card, try to stick with photos, rethink the branding of Zobie Flipz as the term Flip is used to describe graded card holders, and 'Fliptz' -- aka 'Action Flipz' were a failed line from Artbox, etc.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
The Dexter and the Cobra Kai need better designs. Dexter image almost looks like he lived during the Revolutionary War.

Agree with the design -- definitely room for improvement.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I asked them if they were going to do a card for the upcoming Elisabeth Shue signing.

They said no.

And still I wait.............

posted Hide Post
quote:
I asked them if they were going to do a card for the upcoming Elisabeth Shue signing.

They said no.

Where did you ask that you got a response? I responded to an email they sent me, and contacted them through eBay and didn't get a response.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:

They said no.

Where did you ask that you got a response? I responded to an email they sent me, and contacted them through eBay and didn't get a response.

customer service email on their website.

posted Hide Post
I agree that "Zobie Flipz" is a horrible name for a product. The cards are okay but could use some work.

I actually only heard about Zobie a few days ago. It looks like a limited version of Galaxy Con Live without the live part.

Posts: 62 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Technically I agree with you but as a collector desperate for something other than Star Trek, Star Wars, MARVEL or Bond I say stop being so harsh! Twak Big Grin

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I'll be in the corner. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Technically I agree with you but as a collector desperate for something other than Star Trek, Star Wars, MARVEL or Bond I say stop being so harsh! Twak Big Grin

Yep -- especially with autographs everything has gotten really repetitive.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting design idea with the whited-out hair on the Dexter ones. Pretty sure that would have looked better left alone.

Still, if I didn't already have both autographs (more than once each) from the Breygent sets, I'd have investigated these.

Nice to see someone new trying to bring something to the market.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Interesting design idea with the whited-out hair on the Dexter ones. Pretty sure that would have looked better left alone.

Still, if I didn't already have both autographs (more than once each) from the Breygent sets, I'd have investigated these.

Nice to see someone new trying to bring something to the market.

Those two cards look like a combined photo and drawing. The whited out hair gives the appearance of powdered wigs in the Revolutionary War and I'm not getting passed that. Big Grin Both Carpenter and Hall have illegible signatures and the big red spot and red ink doesn't help.

Yes I'm for something new too, but the Dexter autograph cards on these two are just better looking and have the advantage of the title license. Carpenter only signed once in the first season. Hall signed every year I think and for awhile there you could find him for around $70.

I do like that you can get a Duvall autograph because she is not available, but again the drawn picture is not very good. To me Zobie needs better designs or better artists if they want to keep doing their own cards.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Yes I'm for something new too, but the Dexter autograph cards on these two are just better looking and have the advantage of the title license. Carpenter only signed once in the first season. Hall signed every year I think and for awhile there you could find him for around $70.

She signed again for season 3, on a costume card.

Hall was definitely cheaper than that. I've got 5 or 6 of his (basically all except the various duals in the last couple of sets, and the SDCC season 3 one), and I'm sure I paid less than $70 in all cases. But I see that's not the case now Big Grin

Also noticed a dealer who used to always be very closely affiliated with Breygent Stateside has gotten hold of (been given?) left over blank autograph cards from the earlier sets, and left over signed stickers from the later ones, and put 2 and 2 together to make a "variant" Mad

And I agree, those are super poor versions of their signatures. Still, at those prices, there'll be a market for them amongst people who missed out on the earlier ones. Especially with the new season of the show around the corner.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Also noticed a dealer who used to always be very closely affiliated with Breygent Stateside has gotten hold of (been given?) left over blank autograph cards from the earlier sets, and left over signed stickers from the later ones, and put 2 and 2 together to make a "variant" Mad

Personally I wouldn't consider that a variant because the card manufacturer never made it. Somebody else put it together from spare parts, although all may be separately genuine.

This is a trend that may deserve its own subject thread. On another board someone took 4 of Emilia Clarke's RA relic cards, sent them in to a personal signing, and she autographed them in gold. They came out really nice, but RA never made them. As a personal collection item I think its great, but other people are doing similar things to mass sell. Especially with sticker signatures or cuts, they are making cards that look deceptively legitmate, while never being officially made by the licensed manufacturer.

It's a problem that card collectors should be aware enough to research when they see an autograph or relic card that doesn't match the checklist.