Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Horrors of War - Famous Fabrics
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horrors of War - Famous Fabrics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
It seems we are at a place in the market where people are trying all sorts of specific packages to see what works and what doesn't and, most important, how they can provide something different (all sketch releases, multiple chase packs, no base set releases, etc.)

A couple of thoughts. Famous Fabrics has proven they know how to sell cards. Whether said product retains its value is a separate issue. After all, how much product by other publishers does do so?

We have discussed the 'problem' with premium pack releases. If the consumer continues to support such product, publishers will continue to make them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nicnac,

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blowout has pre-order pricing up, and they jibe with what people have been saying. Hold on to your hats:

Single Pack ($169.95)

10-Box Case ($1649.95)

4 x 10 box case + 8 case toppers ($6199.95)

If this post is in violation of NSU rules, please leave the pricing info for the 3 tiers of product.

-

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Sorry Nicnac...Yes, we frown on linking to card retailers. It's not really fair to those who pay for ads here on the forum.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nicnac:

If this post is in violation of NSU rules

, -

The prices are in violation of sanity. I think these must belong to a section of the card collecting community to which i am not a member.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

If this post is in violation of NSU rules

, -

The prices are in violation of sanity. I think these must belong to a section of the card collecting community to which i am not a member.
Wolfie has become the voice of sanity
169 a pack is insane

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by damien:
169 a pack is insane

Well its too rich for me, but I don't think its a record price, at least not if you consider all card products. The thing is, its the cut autograph card that is driving the price and naturally all the great names are mentioned in the ads, but what buyers really need to know is who makes up the average card?

I mean when you have such a high price point you can't pull a $10 autograph of someone you never heard about or its a waste of a lot of money. You are buying a blind item, so you have to have at least some assurance that any signature you get is going to be of interest and has some basic minimum value.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser: Sorry Nicnac...Yes, we frown on linking to card retailers. It's not really fair to those who pay for ads here on the forum.

No problem. More important that the pricing info is posted (as evidenced by the reactions here) Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie: I think these must belong to a section of the card collecting community to which i am not a member.

Yups. Wish I could afford to buy the whole lot and keep the ones I want to.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven: I mean when you have such a high price point you can't pull a $10 autograph of someone you never heard about or its a waste of a lot of money. You are buying a blind item, so you have to have at least some assurance that any signature you get is going to be of interest and has some basic minimum value.

I guess the same could be said for buying a $2.99 pack of baseball cards and pulling a good 15c worth of cards, including the 'chase'. The difference here is in scale.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven: I mean when you have such a high price point you can't pull a $10 autograph of someone you never heard about or its a waste of a lot of money. You are buying a blind item, so you have to have at least some assurance that any signature you get is going to be of interest and has some basic minimum value.

I guess the same could be said for buying a $2.99 pack of baseball cards and pulling a good 15c worth of cards, including the 'chase'. The difference here is in scale.

Right, that's exactly it, scale. No one can ever expect to make money on a pack, whether it goes for $4 or $40. But when the SRP is this high, that premium insert can't be some $10 filler. The big hit here is the cut signature and you might pull one of those great names, but chances are you will get an average name.

Since these are all 1/1 cuts, there is no completing the autograph list, which means that once the pack has been opened each cut signature will be priced solely on the perceived worth of the person who signed. That average cut card has to be desirable enough to go for $40 - $50, roughly 25% to 30% of the pack price, to put it in line with the average $10 hit that you pull out of $40 pack.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Since these are all 1/1 cuts, there is no completing the autograph list

Interesting. I never though of it this way, that the auto you pull, good or bad is of a value alone. It will never be enhanced by other cards in the set because there is no set.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Since these are all 1/1 cuts, there is no completing the autograph list

Interesting. I never though of it this way, that the auto you pull, good or bad is of a value alone. It will never be enhanced by other cards in the set because there is no set.

All 1/1's could be marketing in action though. If a Hitler auto came off two different documents, would each one not be a 1 of 1?

I'm having a hard time believing there will be 1600 different signers. And if so, there's going to be a lot of filler autos that most people will not know.

I hope it works out for them, but it's too rich for my blood.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
Several years back on this board I predicted that the card trend would go like this . I was promptly, if I recall, told that my insight was wrong. I now get to say, "Told ya so!" I remeber who told me too! Twak

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willgull:

I now get to say, "Told ya so!" I remember who told me too! Twak

It wasn't me was it? Eek

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
Nah...wasn't you Wolfie. I've not seen them post anything in a while and believe they quit in a huff.....

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Good day forum members.

I have just joined your forum to be able to try and answer any questions you may have about any of my Famous Fabrics Ink products and to post announcements about our products.

I hope to bring some insight to collectors about our products with my participation on this forum.

Brian Price

Posts: 1 | Location: Boca Raton Florida | Registered: May 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum Brian, hope you have a nice time here and thank you for providing the information and answering questions. Smile Wavey

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dr. brian h. price:

I hope to bring some insight to collectors about our products with my participation on this forum.

Brian Price

Welcome Dr. Price, its always great to hear directly from the manufacturers.

Since you asked, I'll throw out a couple of questions about your Horrors of War, which appears to be a very limited and fairly expensive product.

Why did you decide to produce a total print run of only 40 base sets? Although the subject matter means that its geared for a specfic type of collector, any unopened pack, any base card held here or there reduces by one the number of full sets that are available. In the end, only a couple of sets may be possible to complete even for high end collectors.

Why did you decide on such a high SRP per pack? Collectors will often try their luck on products, especially ones with guaranteed cut signatures, provided that the price is within their budget. By pricing the packs at $169 it will discourage impulse buying and dealers will not be breaking many packs for fear of getting autographs that will not sell for the price of the unopened pack.

Finally, as we have been discussing, what can we expect to find in the 1600 cut signatures when a premium autograph is not pulled? In other words, who is the average cut signature and are there doubles of these average signers in the 1600?

Thanks for your indulgence and may this be one of many new non-sport products for Famous Fabrics Ink. Smile

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Famous Fabrics posted a whole slew of details on the Horrors of Series today. Too much to repost here, so go over to Dr. Price's blog and take a look.

Horrors of War - August 3rd

What's everyone think?

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
This is definitely an interesting looking product and it certainly is a nice break from all the comic related sets we've been swamped with this year.
I like the premise of this set, but if the set covers from WWII up, why are there cuts from pre-WWII?
What about authentication of the signatures? I would hope that a product with this price level would help ease the mind of someone willing to shellout $169 per pack by having the signatures certified as being real. And finally why do we need to wait one week prior to release of the product before we get a complete checklist of what's in the set?

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
If there are indeed 1600 "unique" cut autos, there's got to be some filler in there.

It's a crying shame that there are only 40 possible sets. To have the artwork for the cards done is the biggest expense. It's a shame so few people will ever see them. I still think a factory set of cards would have been the classy way to let people enjoy a set even if they don't have $150+ to shell out for a single base card and a cut auto.

I too worry about the authentication. I guess at some point it's all a matter of trust?

A set with great potential handled in a way that is very elitist and exclusionary. Definitely not the way to bring more people into the hobby.

Sorry Harris, you DID ask. Wave

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Famous Fabrics has put up a checklist of the cut signature cards in its soon-to-be-released Horrors of War series. Click on the link below for an extensive list.

Famous Fabrics Ink – Horrors of War