Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Orphan Black
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Announced today at the Phiily Show....

Orphan Black Cards on the way....

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Tatiana Maslany will be able to do autograph cards for every character she plays. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Reading this announcement reminds me of an old Hall of Fame pitcher by the name of Bob Feller. Feller died in 2010 and lived into his 90's. He was rumored to be the most prolific autograph signer ever. After he retired and the number of baseball shows went crazy, he would sign anything, anywhere. He was a great representative for the game.

Now here's why he came to my mind. The big joke for awhile was that it was harder to find a baseball that wasn't autographed by Bob Feller than it was to find one that he had signed. Big Grin

For better or worse, it is harder to find a TV show that is not on CZE's schedule than to find ones that they are producing. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
doing the happy dance

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Can't wait for this! Bouncey Clap

Co-creator John Fawcett recently stated his intentions are to end the show (or at least this story) after 5 seasons. Here is his full quote:

"The series is mapped to a large degree, in that there is always room to move and work organically, but we are working towards a five season story,” John said. “We will arrive at some kind of end destination by the end of season five.”

“I think we want to wrap this story up by the end of season five,” he continued. “And then if there are still a lot of fans and a lot of desire to see this show after that, I think there would be some reinvention necessary or some kind of new spin. I don’t know what that is or could be. I’m not really thinking about that right now, I’m just thinking about trying to get this story told in five seasons.”

So assuming Cryptozoic does a set for each season, Tatiana can sign as Sarah, Cosima, Alison, and Helena for a different season each and then the fifth time she can sign as Rachel or as a Sarah auto/costume card. That'll keep her autograph cards fresh and different. There. That works. I've got it all mapped out. Big Grin

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Well, this will make a lot of people happy I imagine, as there seemed to be quite a few people asking for this set.

I'm hoping this time round they might mix it up and keep with the same style, or at least something similar, for each season released to keep continuity throughout the whole series.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Boo yah!
I'm hoping for some costume cards.... we shall see.

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear this is a popular choice for CZE. Guess I'll have to check the show out.

But, CZE needs to get their machine in high gear. They announced Penny Dreadful last show and we've heard nothing of significance since. They also have these recurring shows to think about:

Walking Dead Season 4
Big Bang Theory
Castle
Sons of Anarchy
Supernatural 4&5
Vampire Diaries???
Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies
Sleepy Hollow???
Arrow
Once Upon a Time???
Plus
Ghost Busters
The Flash

I hate to think about it from a cash flow standpoint, but they need to get in gear and get out 2 releases a month, every month. More than that would hurt any of the marginal titles as people have to decide where to spend their money.

Trying to be a CZE fan, really am. But it's getting harder all the time.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
But, CZE needs to get their machine in high gear. They announced Penny Dreadful last show and we've heard nothing of significance since. They also have these recurring shows to think about:
Ed

They also announced Arrested Development and Outlander a while ago as well.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
quote:
Ed

They also announced Arrested Development and Outlander a while ago as well.

In the April - May NSU the schedule of upcoming releases shows that 17 titles have been announced by Cryptozoic and are in progress. Orphan Black makes number 18.

As card collectors we know that there is a fan base for all these products and it's great to have someone making them, even if some are not what we follow. However it would hard not to notice that CZE is really taking on a lot here, back to back to back. I don't know how any company can do more than one release per month and even that requires a huge effort.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen Orphan Black yet (but it's next on my binge-watching-to-do list when I have some time later this month Thumb Up ) but as a Suits fan I hope they include Patrick J Adams as a signer (much in the way Fringe gave us an autograph from Meghan Markle!)

I like that Cryptozoic has provided us (as above) with some sets and some signers that I'm not sure would otherwise have seen a release, but I do have to wonder about some of their choices sometimes... there are several upcoming sets of theirs that I'm definitely sceptical of at the moment.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Can I be a negative Nellie and say I wish Rittenhouse had gotten this license? Sorry, but I just don't care for Cryptozoic as a company, although they have some amazing licenses.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They announced Penny Dreadful last show and we've heard nothing of significance since.

Ed

Hi Ed!

They did have a generic binder with some Penny Dreadful props at the Cryptozoic table. These included some handwritten letters and some other paper-based props. I should have paid better attention. George did say that they didn't have a definite schedule for the Penny Dreadful release; but, things are going smoothly and they are waiting for autographs.

Hope that information helps.

I am so very much looking forward to Orphan Black which I think is a phenomenal show! I really want an Alison autograph!

Deena

Posts: 465 | Location: Sarasota, FL, USA | Registered: June 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jane:
Can I be a negative Nellie and say I wish Rittenhouse had gotten this license? Sorry, but I just don't care for Cryptozoic as a company, although they have some amazing licenses.

Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way!

posted Hide Post
I'm happy for the people that like this show, but what is the point of making announcements about releases and then not going any further? Is it just to stop rival companies from getting access to titles?

I'm really annoyed that Cryptozoic announced Arrested Development a year ago and there has been nothing since.

Posts: 26 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: April 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poita:

what is the point of making announcements about releases and then not going any further? Is it just to stop rival companies from getting access to titles?

Yes...there have been other companies that have done this over the years.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by poita:

what is the point of making announcements about releases and then not going any further? Is it just to stop rival companies from getting access to titles?

Yes...there have been other companies that have done this over the years.

Well other companies have picked up titles after the license has expired or a manufacturer went out of business. I don't know about doing it just to keep someone else from getting it.

If you were talking about a mega title that really had potential maybe, but really is that Arrested Development, or Orphan Black, or Outlander, or Penny Dreadful.

I am not knocking these titles at all, they all have a loyal fan base, but they are not universally well known. Indeed a lot of their success comes from that cult like feeling of discovering shows that don't fall into that normal TV show mentality.

As a card set prospect I consider these types of titles to be riskier than some of the safer choices you could make as a card company. But I also don't like the idea that you can hedge your bet by releasing something so limited that you can't make any money on it and people who do want it can't find it or can't afford it if they do. I mean, if you are going to buy a license, do it right. What is the point of accumulating licenses if you can't put out the product until 18 months later?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
What is the point of accumulating licenses if you can't put out the product until 18 months later?

This is my main beef with Crypto. I am pretty excited about The Flash, and if it was coming from Rittenhouse I would expect it Sep-Oct to tie in with the new season. I expect 2016 at the earliest for the set, though. I don't know the logistical nightmare some of these sets might be, and I'm sure they would like to do them at a faster pace too, but as someone who needs to budget it can be frustrating.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I would have preferred Rittenhouse or Breygent got this license. Crypto will probablu make half the signers sign only 100 each and make them ridiculously rare, even if they are a barely known actor. That Arrow set was ridiculous. Making Laura Vandervoort's auto from Smallville a short print was also annoying as hell.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
I would have preferred Rittenhouse or Breygent got this license. Crypto will probablu make half the signers sign only 100 each and make them ridiculously rare, even if they are a barely known actor. That Arrow set was ridiculous. Making Laura Vandervoort's auto from Smallville a short print was also annoying as hell.

Yeah I agree, I'm just happy that they haven't announced any licenses that I would really want, because I really don't like the way they make sets.