Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Premium Pack edition of Classic Star Trek Movies: Heroes and Villains
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Premium Pack edition of Classic Star Trek Movies: Heroes and Villains
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always assumed that extremely and very limited cards (aside from "big" names) were just random choices made by Rittenhouse in order to made the sets more challenging.

Then again this is just an assumption for this actor. I don't know the real reason for this actor in particular to be very limited.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
His autograph is easy to find from earlier releases, so for collectors who just want his autograph, that would be the route to take to obtain one.

But it does nothing for a master set collector to have his autograph in another release. Wink

I find this development very interesting because it contradicts what was supposed to be a big plus in this ST premium product construction. Namely that if you bought a box, which is the equivalent of a case in a traditional product, you would have all the autographs for a master set, minus a Shatner or Nimoy and any incentive. Buy two boxes of the right boxes and you have both Shatner and Nimoy, plus many dups to sell or trade.

Assuming that you had the $1,400 or $1,500 to lay out for this, which I certainly don't, it might sound like a good deal to those normal case buyers. Now with at least a third ultra limited card in the mix, it kind of changes the math.

It makes little difference to me because I am apparently not the "target" buyer for this type of pack construction anymore, if I am to judge by several exchanges posted on the RA forum. I just think its ironic that premium products are no better than traditional products when it comes to pre-release news.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
His autograph is easy to find from earlier releases, so for collectors who just want his autograph, that would be the route to take to obtain one.

But it does nothing for a master set collector to have his autograph in another release. Wink

I find this development very interesting because it contradicts what was supposed to be a big plus in this ST premium product construction. Namely that if you bought a box, which is the equivalent of a case in a traditional product, you would have all the autographs for a master set, minus a Shatner or Nimoy and any incentive. Buy two boxes of the right boxes and you have both Shatner and Nimoy, plus many dups to sell or trade.

Assuming that you had the $1,400 or $1,500 to lay out for this, which I certainly don't, it might sound like a good deal to those normal case buyers. Now with at least a third ultra limited card in the mix, it kind of changes the math.

It makes little difference to me because I am apparently not the "target" buyer for this type of pack construction anymore, if I am to judge by several exchanges posted on the RA forum. I just think its ironic that premium products are no better than traditional products when it comes to pre-release news.

I do try and get Master Sets, that is why I've pre-ordered two boxes. Now however it is unclear how close I will be to a master Set. Frown

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Saying that a box will net you a Shatner or a Nimoy card is not the same thing as saying each box will have everything in it EXCEPT one will have a Shatner and one will have a Nimoy. Cause they never said that. Or if they did, feel free to point out my error.
Assumptions may have been made, but that's a different animal. It seems to me all RA was saying is any box you buy will have for sure one awesome name in it..a big change from when one or two or even 4 or 5 cases wouldnt have netted you a big name.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
Saying that a box will net you a Shatner or a Nimoy card is not the same thing as saying each box will have everything in it EXCEPT one will have a Shatner and one will have a Nimoy. Cause they never said that. Or if they did, feel free to point out my error.
Assumptions may have been made, but that's a different animal. It seems to me all RA was saying is any box you buy will have for sure one awesome name in it..a big change from when one or two or even 4 or 5 cases wouldnt have netted you a big name.

Everyone was assuming...

But, it has been the big selling point for ALL previous Premium Pack products that a box of 15 packs would have the complete autograph run in it. People assumed it would be the same.

Now, we assume these are on-card autographs too? Should we be worried since it has not been explicitly stated that they will be on-card and not on Band Aides?

I think they should have been clearer from the beginning. But they didn't really do anything wrong and I'm not going to shy away from the product because of this news.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I guess that's where my ignorance of other products beyond Trek gets me into trouble Wink It never crossed my mind to assume I'd get everything but either Shatner or Nimoy in one box.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know that Steve went into some details on this release during the Card Talk breakfast last week (part of the whole Premium Pack debate). I thought he said you'd get a master set out of a box but I could be wrong. I guess everyone will have to watch the video once Harris posts is.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
I know that Steve went into some details on this release during the Card Talk breakfast last week (part of the whole Premium Pack debate). I thought he said you'd get a master set out of a box but I could be wrong. I guess everyone will have to watch the video once Harris posts is.

I'm working on that now. I had some trouble with the audio not being loud enough but I think I've been able to boost it a bit so I should have it online in a couple of days.

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Hurry up! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I watched video and he doesn't say you can get a master set out of a box (which clearly you couldn't anyway since it wouldnt have one of the two box toppers and either a Shatner or Nimoy)
He does say you shuld expect some of the lower sets to be complete and ahve a few extras.
It was in inteesting discussion on premium products in general.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks Lynne! If anyone else wants to watch the video, here's the link:

NSU BLOG: Manufacturers’ Panel at the 55th Philly Non-Sports Card Show

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
quote:

Thanks Lynne! If anyone else wants to watch the video, here's the link:

NSU BLOG: Manufacturers’ Panel at the 55th Philly Non-Sports Card Show

Watched the Video, very interesting and some useful insights into future releases.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
Just read this on another website and thought I'd share it here since it is such a cool story:

Christian Slater signs Trek Cards

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CordeliaChase_Fan:
Just read this on another website and thought I'd share it here since it is such a cool story:

Val

That is a very neat story! Thanks for posting it. Didn't Leonard Nimoy request a Trek autograph set in exchange for signing cards for the 1999 TOS Season 3 set? I thought I heard that a while ago.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:
Originally posted by CordeliaChase_Fan:

Val

That is a very neat story! Thanks for posting it. Didn't Leonard Nimoy request a Trek autograph set in exchange for signing cards for the 1999 TOS Season 3 set? I thought I heard that a while ago.

You're welcome, as far as the Nimoy story, I don't know- maybe one of our resident Trek experts can chime in on that.

As far as the Slater goes, I definitely want one and this makes me want one even more now Smile

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very intersting read Val. Now just waiting of Steve offering "me a master set for my signature" Thumb Up

Only a day before release of the Premium Packs Elephant , surprised there has not been loads of Pre-Sales as with most of Trek releases.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Very anxious to get a master set for this one!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
A nice looking Rewards Card of Capt. Kirk is on Rittenhouse's site.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
A nice looking Rewards Card of Capt. Kirk is on Rittenhouse's site.

This card is not actually ready to ship yet.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Have Rittenhouse scrapped that ludicrous postage on the rewards cards yet?

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post