Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Outlander season 3 (Cryptozoic)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outlander season 3 (Cryptozoic)
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You guys are a tough audience. Big Grin

I had to look after those comments and, besides a few clunkers, the majority of those sketches seem fairly nice for what they are. At least I don't see any stick figures or those darn "Cook-like" comic drawings.

Perhaps its because I don't know the characters well and can't tell how close the portraits are to the actors, which is a good reason to dislike a sketch. There is a controversy in the sketch art world that has not been discussed here. It's about "photorealism" and whether artists are cheating when recreating art from photos. I think it must be very hard to achieve a good likeness, especially the proper facial expression, of a recognizable person.

Most of the Outlander sketches seem to be portraits and that is both a good and bad thing. Masterpiece art is very rare in any sketch oriented set. As long as the average one looks like it was done by a professional artist, and you don't get a "screaming monkey head", you got a 1/1 that someone might like. Smile

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
If the sketch doesn't look like the character then it isn't a good sketch -end of subject.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
As an artist, if you can't do portraits, why take a commission/job/submit portraits?
It's like a plumber taking on a bricklayer's job, they could probably have a go at it, but the finished product is going to be rubbish and not up to standard.
One or two of the sketch cards shown I had to take a guess from the costume that it was probably meant to be "Claire" or Jamie. Too many looked more like a cross between Emily Blunt and Claire Foy than Caitrione Balfe. Big Grin A lot I gave up trying to think who the heck they were.

I've never particularly liked the gimmick of sketch cards. After all, they're just a manufactured hit that have nothing to do with the show or actors beyond the image created. Other than the wonderful David Debois, the standard of sketches are much more miss than hit to even consider them 'artwork'.
I speak as an artist myself so I understand the process of creating paintings, so I'm not just blindly chuntering on. Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
Other than the wonderful David Debois, the standard of sketches are much more miss than hit to even consider them 'artwork'.Big Grin

Better start ducking and weaving on that one. Big Grin

I love Debois, but the chances on my ever having any of his sketches are zero to none, so my standards are a lot lower. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Other than the wonderful David Debois, the standard of sketches are much more miss than hit to even consider them 'artwork'.Big Grin

Better start ducking and weaving on that one. Big Grin

I love Debois, but the chances on my ever having any of his sketches are zero to none, so my standards are a lot lower. Wink

LOL
I'll take the zero and none then. Big Grin But at least there are people who have low standards(or have been missing eye tests); if I have the 'luck' to hit a sketch there are usually buyers...which can then fund me buying a proper card(auto/costume/prop). Wink Big Grin I'd just prefer hitting a 'proper' card first, without having to do the sellers' dance...which is annoying when you have three left feet. Wink Smile
(Yes, my tongue is firmly in my cheek here, but the basic sentiment is true for me. Smile )

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I think I have one of his from Dexter. Maybe. I've got a few, and can't remember who all the artists are. I definitely have at least one Tim Shay.

EDIT: seems I don't. I have Tim Shay and Trev Murphy, amongst others, but no Desbois.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Check this out. Looks like another Outlander set is already in the works...

https://twitter.com/MrStevenCr.../1087336978440437760

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

Can you make out what the weird gold foil logo is? Looks like C-something-X.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
quote:

Can you make out what the weird gold foil logo is? Looks like C-something-X.

I wonder if they are for an Outlander Convention!

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't make it out either.
If it's an S4 set the book for that is Drums of Autumn, so it's not using a book title for the set. They still do one season for each book so far.
I like the design, whatever it is. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They certainly appear to be a thicker card stock and have foil on them. A higher quality card than normal no doubt. The foil part looks like it reads "CZX".

Here's a quote about them from the assistant manager for trading card product development at Cryptozoic:

"Those cards are for a future Cryptozoic project (not a part of Outlander Trading Cards Season 3), which we cannot yet discuss at this time."

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
They certainly appear to be a thicker card stock and have foil on them. A higher quality card than normal no doubt. The foil part looks like it reads "CZX".

Here's a quote about them from the assistant manager for trading card product development at Cryptozoic:

"Those cards are for a future Cryptozoic project (not a part of Outlander Trading Cards Season 3), which we cannot yet discuss at this time."

My next post was going to be "I wonder if these are for a Cryptozoic cross-franchise set".

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And from that same Cryptozoic assistant manager, here are the number of cards signed by each actor...

Albie Marber - 320
Alison Pargeter - 320
Alison Pargeter / Mark Hadfield (Dual) - 25
Caitriona Balfe - 50
Cesar Domboy - 150
Charlie Hiett - 320
Clark Butler - 300
David Berry - 280
Hannah James - 280
John Bell - 160
John Bell / Cesar Domboy (Dual) - 50
Laura Donnelly - 150
Lauren Lyle - 150
Mark Hadfield - 315
Nell Hudson - 145
Nick Fletcher - 320
Richard Rankin - 160
Sam Hoare - 260
Sophie Skelton - 190
Steven Cree - 220
Tobias Menzies - 150
Wil Johnson - 240

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
...and here are the short printed wardrobe cards...

M01 - #/99
M03 - #/99
M04 - #/99
M06 - #/99
M10 - #/99
M11 - #/99
M12 - #/99
M14 - #/99
M15 - #/99
M17 - #/99
M20 - #/99
M24 - #/99
M25 - #/99

DM1 - #/49
DM2 - #/49
DM3 - #/99
DM4 - #/49
DM5 - #/49
DM6 - #/49
DM7 - #/49
DM8 - #/49

TM1 - #/25
TM2 - #/25

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Caitriona Balfe - 50

*sigh*

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Caitriona Balfe - 50

*sigh*

Oh well, the dream of perhaps hitting a Balfe card was there for a brief few weeks. But alas we must all wake up sometimes... Roll Eyes Wink Smile The wardrobe cards are always nicely done, but I would never pay silly money for a swatch of material. Great card to have in a box, but not something I chase down.

I think I'll be picking up autograph cards for just a handful of the new signers and favourite characters. I try not to buy more than one card of the same signer...helps with my budget too. I stand a good chance of getting a David Berry(Lord John Grey) fairly painlessly, anyway. Smile

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, all the other new signers look plentiful enough to be a reasonable price, so I'll just get all those and forget Balfe. I've got all the repeat signers already.

Disappointed there's (as yet) not another shot at Sam Heughan, although it looks like he will be signing the mystery new set.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Caitriona Balfe - 50

*sigh*

Oh well, the dream of perhaps hitting a Balfe card was there for a brief few weeks. But alas we must all wake up sometimes... Roll Eyes Wink Smile The wardrobe cards are always nicely done, but I would never pay silly money for a swatch of material. Great card to have in a box, but not something I chase down. Smile

Agree with the wardrobe cards - I will get a couple in my boxes but I won't look for anymore and if I get one that somebody wants to pay $100 for I will sell it.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, all the other new signers look plentiful enough to be a reasonable price, so I'll just get all those and forget Balfe. I've got all the repeat signers already.

Disappointed there's (as yet) not another shot at Sam Heughan, although it looks like he will be signing the mystery new set.

Again agree, Balfe will be AMAZING if it comes in my boxes but happy to get new signers.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think the Balfe auto could cost at least $500 and that estimate may be low. The Heughan from the first set was selling for $200-$300 out the gate and I think he signed more like 200-300 cards. It seemed like everyone was pulling him from their cases. This is a different story with a much smaller print run than Heughan. Plus she's an attractive woman which gives most autographs a boost in price to begin with. And the show/card sets already have a rabid fan base. Stating the obvious here but this is going to be a high dollar card.