Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Downton Abbey Seasons 3 & 4 Trading Cards (Cryptozoic)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Downton Abbey Seasons 3 & 4 Trading Cards (Cryptozoic)
 Login/Join

posted

Downton Abbey Seasons 3 & 4 Trading Cards

Follow the Crawley family and their servants during the early 1920s as they live through events like the formation of the Irish Free State in season three and the Teapot Dome scandal in season four. With a 72-card base set, relive your favorite moments and learn about the various residants and visitors of the estate. Look for Autograph and Wardrobe cards that are randomly inserted throughout the packs!

Key Features:

• 72-card base set featuring episodic images from seasons 3 and 4.
  • Wardrobe cards featuring swatches of material used to create the period-authentic costumes, and autograph cards from the stellar cast.
  • Chase set on period-inspired miniature cigarette cards.

Product Details:

Release Date: Q2, 2015
Packs: 5 cards per pack, 24 packs per box
MSRP: $4 pack
Base Set: 72 card base set featuring episodic images from seasons three and four
Chase Sets: Upstairs character biographies, Downstairs character biographies, Quotable, and Miniature Portraits
Inserts: Autograph cards (TBD), Wardrobe cards (TBD)

Autograph Signers (Signers in Bold have returned cards, Signers with an * are under contract):

Autograph Gallery:

Binder:

Promotional Cards:

NSU Magazine Vol. 25, #6
Cover Date: December 2014 -January 2015
P1

http://www.cryptozoic.com/trad...ble-cards-series-3-4

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SerialKilnWalkr,

Posts: 79 | Location: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: October 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The box and pack design are very good.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's going to be a long wait.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I think they did a really good job with the promo and box designs. Looking forward to the series too.....Q2 is a ways off.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hope they can get Maggie Smith, Shirley Maclaine, Paul Giamatti, Brendan Coyle, Dan Stevens, Hugh Bonneville and Elizabeth McGovern to sign this time. Then between the two sets the main cast would be pretty much complete. Not asking for too much. Big Grin Twak

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
I hope they can get Maggie Smith, Shirley Maclaine, Paul Giamatti, Brendan Coyle, Dan Stevens, Hugh Bonneville and Elizabeth McGovern to sign this time. Then between the two sets the main cast would be pretty much complete. Not asking for too much. Big Grin Twak

We can dream it together!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No sketches this time or did they just not announce them yet?

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
Cool design and I can't wait for these cards.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

As nice as it would be to have Maclaine and Giamatti, it would be much more important to have Penelope Wilton and Lily James.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Cryptozoic have confirmed they have cancelled Downton Abbey but have given no reason as to why.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Cryptozoic have confirmed they have cancelled Downton Abbey but have given no reason as to why.

I would guess poor sales of the first release. You can pick up boxes for under half the original price from multiple bulk sellers.

Surprised they have cancelled it outright when they have already invested in the rights. A costly mistake that if repeated too many times can really put a company in difficulties.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
[I would guess poor sales of the first release. You can pick up boxes for under half the original price from multiple bulk sellers.
/QUOTE]

But how could that be, Downton Abbey was #10 in the 2014 most popular card set poll! OK, I had to get my shot in, I'm alright now. Big Grin

This was a hard sell to begin with. British period drama is not a natural fit with non-sport cards collectors. As much as I liked Brideshead Revisited I wouldn't want the cards if they ever made them. People who don't watch Masterpiece Theatre have even less reason to want a Downton Abbey set. A small loyal fan base just means you are guaranteed a marginal title. You can give CZE credit for trying it, but was it ever really a good idea? I would say no, it wasn't worth the risk.

Apart from blaming the cancellation on low sales, which we don't have any confirmation of, there could have been other negative factors. I have read in several of the Card Talk threads that British TV is always hard to deal with in terms of getting approvals. Or maybe resources were not available to provide enough actor autographs or show props. Or maybe the whole thing would just cost too much to produce. Or maybe CZE just couldn't keep up with it's ambitious schedule and had to drop something.

Whatever the reason or reasons, it just proves that we should appreciate the card manufacturers. It is a tough business and it's very easy to see mistakes in the rear view mirror.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never watched the show, but did collect the cards. Just wanted to say thankyou to Cryptozic for producing a great set and giving me such a rare chance to collect British actors autographs.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I think boxes are priced too high for preorders. Paying $84 a box compared to $65, which it used to be when I was buying boxes back 4 years ago. I don't know how much RA charge now, but Crypto are just too expensive.

Downtown Abbey's first set looked good, but people probably wanted more of the regulars to sign. They did get some good autos though, but I agree that this type if show doesn't translate well to cards.

Crypto have picked up some poor licenses imo. Revenge was a disappointment, Breaking Bad was a dud and Stana Katic won't sign for Castle. The Walking Dead has also crashed in price, everyone has signed several times now and spliting up season 3 into 2 parts was a very bad idea.

I know Crypto have other ventures, so it's lucky they are not solely non sports cards, otherwise I could see them going the way if Inkworks.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
I think boxes are priced too high for preorders. Paying $84 a box compared to $65, which it used to be when I was buying boxes back 4 years ago. I don't know how much RA charge now, but Crypto are just too expensive.

$84 is a tad high, a Friendly Dealer would be closer to the $77 mark. Cryptozoic arbitrarily upped their box prices last year, citing the cost of getting autographs for the set. So this one costs dealers more than the first set, which mean collectors get that cost passed along.

Downton did better than I ever expected it to, so I'm not too surprised at a second set. I hope it's not all duplicate autographs though, they'll need to get some of the cast that didn't participate last time.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Ed it's been cancelled now Smile

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this, I loved the first set and was looking forward to this.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post