Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Downton Abbey Seasons 3 & 4 Trading Cards (Cryptozoic)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/6507005376

November 11, 2014, 08:29 PM
SerialKilnWalkr
Downton Abbey Seasons 3 & 4 Trading Cards (Cryptozoic)

Downton Abbey Seasons 3 & 4 Trading Cards

Follow the Crawley family and their servants during the early 1920s as they live through events like the formation of the Irish Free State in season three and the Teapot Dome scandal in season four. With a 72-card base set, relive your favorite moments and learn about the various residants and visitors of the estate. Look for Autograph and Wardrobe cards that are randomly inserted throughout the packs!

Key Features:

Product Details:

Release Date: Q2, 2015
Packs: 5 cards per pack, 24 packs per box
MSRP: $4 pack
Base Set: 72 card base set featuring episodic images from seasons three and four
Chase Sets: Upstairs character biographies, Downstairs character biographies, Quotable, and Miniature Portraits
Inserts: Autograph cards (TBD), Wardrobe cards (TBD)

Autograph Signers (Signers in Bold have returned cards, Signers with an * are under contract):

Autograph Gallery:

Binder:

Promotional Cards:

NSU Magazine Vol. 25, #6
Cover Date: December 2014 -January 2015
P1

http://www.cryptozoic.com/trad...ble-cards-series-3-4

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SerialKilnWalkr,

November 11, 2014, 10:46 PM
barobehere
Sweet!
November 12, 2014, 05:39 AM
wolfie
The box and pack design are very good.

November 12, 2014, 10:49 AM
John Tirohn
It's going to be a long wait.
November 12, 2014, 10:56 AM
H_Toser
I think they did a really good job with the promo and box designs. Looking forward to the series too.....Q2 is a ways off.

November 12, 2014, 10:58 AM
Logan
I hope they can get Maggie Smith, Shirley Maclaine, Paul Giamatti, Brendan Coyle, Dan Stevens, Hugh Bonneville and Elizabeth McGovern to sign this time. Then between the two sets the main cast would be pretty much complete. Not asking for too much. Big Grin Twak
November 12, 2014, 11:07 AM
barobehere
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
I hope they can get Maggie Smith, Shirley Maclaine, Paul Giamatti, Brendan Coyle, Dan Stevens, Hugh Bonneville and Elizabeth McGovern to sign this time. Then between the two sets the main cast would be pretty much complete. Not asking for too much. Big Grin Twak

We can dream it together!
November 12, 2014, 11:15 AM
Logan
No sketches this time or did they just not announce them yet?
November 12, 2014, 11:10 PM
Lovemesomecards
Cool design and I can't wait for these cards.

November 14, 2014, 01:22 PM
igman7
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

As nice as it would be to have Maclaine and Giamatti, it would be much more important to have Penelope Wilton and Lily James.

January 09, 2015, 09:33 AM
wolfie
Cryptozoic have confirmed they have cancelled Downton Abbey but have given no reason as to why.

January 09, 2015, 03:19 PM
Triple-Frog
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Cryptozoic have confirmed they have cancelled Downton Abbey but have given no reason as to why.

I would guess poor sales of the first release. You can pick up boxes for under half the original price from multiple bulk sellers.

Surprised they have cancelled it outright when they have already invested in the rights. A costly mistake that if repeated too many times can really put a company in difficulties.
January 09, 2015, 08:20 PM
Raven
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
[I would guess poor sales of the first release. You can pick up boxes for under half the original price from multiple bulk sellers.
/QUOTE]

But how could that be, Downton Abbey was #10 in the 2014 most popular card set poll! OK, I had to get my shot in, I'm alright now. Big Grin

This was a hard sell to begin with. British period drama is not a natural fit with non-sport cards collectors. As much as I liked Brideshead Revisited I wouldn't want the cards if they ever made them. People who don't watch Masterpiece Theatre have even less reason to want a Downton Abbey set. A small loyal fan base just means you are guaranteed a marginal title. You can give CZE credit for trying it, but was it ever really a good idea? I would say no, it wasn't worth the risk.

Apart from blaming the cancellation on low sales, which we don't have any confirmation of, there could have been other negative factors. I have read in several of the Card Talk threads that British TV is always hard to deal with in terms of getting approvals. Or maybe resources were not available to provide enough actor autographs or show props. Or maybe the whole thing would just cost too much to produce. Or maybe CZE just couldn't keep up with it's ambitious schedule and had to drop something.

Whatever the reason or reasons, it just proves that we should appreciate the card manufacturers. It is a tough business and it's very easy to see mistakes in the rear view mirror.
January 10, 2015, 03:35 AM
Neilsy
I have never watched the show, but did collect the cards. Just wanted to say thankyou to Cryptozic for producing a great set and giving me such a rare chance to collect British actors autographs.
February 07, 2015, 10:11 PM
Sidewinder
I think boxes are priced too high for preorders. Paying $84 a box compared to $65, which it used to be when I was buying boxes back 4 years ago. I don't know how much RA charge now, but Crypto are just too expensive.

Downtown Abbey's first set looked good, but people probably wanted more of the regulars to sign. They did get some good autos though, but I agree that this type if show doesn't translate well to cards.

Crypto have picked up some poor licenses imo. Revenge was a disappointment, Breaking Bad was a dud and Stana Katic won't sign for Castle. The Walking Dead has also crashed in price, everyone has signed several times now and spliting up season 3 into 2 parts was a very bad idea.

I know Crypto have other ventures, so it's lucky they are not solely non sports cards, otherwise I could see them going the way if Inkworks.
February 08, 2015, 03:31 AM
Scifi Cards
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
I think boxes are priced too high for preorders. Paying $84 a box compared to $65, which it used to be when I was buying boxes back 4 years ago. I don't know how much RA charge now, but Crypto are just too expensive.

$84 is a tad high, a Friendly Dealer would be closer to the $77 mark. Cryptozoic arbitrarily upped their box prices last year, citing the cost of getting autographs for the set. So this one costs dealers more than the first set, which mean collectors get that cost passed along.

Downton did better than I ever expected it to, so I'm not too surprised at a second set. I hope it's not all duplicate autographs though, they'll need to get some of the cast that didn't participate last time.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

February 08, 2015, 06:55 AM
WarriorBabe
Ed it's been cancelled now Smile

February 08, 2015, 09:37 AM
John Tirohn
Sorry to hear this, I loved the first set and was looking forward to this.