Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    2020 Goodwin Champions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2020 Goodwin Champions
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Hits the street today. Pretty weak if you are a non sports fan but there are a few.

Big Boi - Rapper
Stephen Root - Actor
Danny Trejo - Actor
Jhenny Andrade - UFC girl
Ryan Stasik - Umphrey's McGee
Brendan Bayliss - Umphrey's McGee

Root is a must and the Trejo looks much nicer than the Stargate Atlantis card.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought there were some surfers and American Ninja Warrior people too, but overall I am not impressed.

Travis Barker was on the initial solicitation, I would have been interested in that.

Sports people seem really happy with the checklist this year, so it will probably sell well.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yeah even though I have a few signed CDs from Blink I would have loved the Travis card.

I do have a stage thrown Travis Barker drumstick played by Mark Hoppus that I am pretty proud of. ;-)

I just tossed the surfer and ninja people into the sports group.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That drumstick sounds sweet!

Maybe Travis's auto will show up as a 2020 update autograph in next year's release. One can hope.

I've been looking at the autos on eBay, and there really isn't a single card I'm all that keen on chasing. If I can pick some up cheap I will, but I don't see myself opening up much of this at all.

Kind of a bummer, I typically really enjoy Goodwin.

Is anyone familiar with the band Umphrey's McGee? I looked them up and it doesn't seem that they've had any hits or anything . . . Last year had a really strong music line up. . . so I feel like I might be missing something.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Seen a few breaks on Blowout , looks like a good product for sports fans autograph wise but for non-sports the only really interesting cards are the rare relics like the Aesops Fables and Space cards .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Goodwins are like Allen & Ginter. The cards are well done, but the vast majority is sports figures or sports related. I have sampled a few boxes over the years and never pulled a hit, autograph or relic, that I would have bought myself.

This will sell through quickly. There are a couple of hot rookies, the usual superstars, some first time niche names and it sounds like some holdovers that didn't make the last set. Also sports card collectors/sellers have been pent up and are looking to buy and/or gamble on a big hit.

For non-sport card collectors who just collect, you already know what you should do. Wink

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:

Is anyone familiar with the band Umphrey's McGee? I looked them up and it doesn't seem that they've had any hits or anything . . . Last year had a really strong music line up. . . so I feel like I might be missing something.

Yeah, going from 311 and Brandon Boyd to Umphrey's McGee is a major drop. I don't think I have heard of anything they have done and no major singles or albums.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
For non-sport card collectors who just collect, you already know what you should do.

Hahaha already picked up my Stephen Root and waiting for the Trejo price to drop! Cool

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
If the Stephen Root's have not bottomed out, they are pretty close. A buyers market, for now. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
If the Stephen Root's have not bottomed out, they are pretty close. A buyers market, for now. Wink

And these haven't even hit ePack yet!

Goodwin initially seemed ridiculously hot, now people seem far less excited. . .

I haven't bought anything yet. . . not sure that I will.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

Goodwin initially seemed ridiculously hot, now people seem far less excited. . .

I am kind of glad there were only two cards in the set I wanted. Made the chase easy and didn't spend a bunch of money. So far it looks like Pop Century will only have a few I am looking for as well. Curious what the A&G checklist will provide.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I find that it is very difficult to get an accurate assessment of any new card products in the early stages these days. Just about everything mainstream and premium sells out from the maker, so that sounds good. However the print runs are probably limited to ultra limited and most of it is going to the authorized dealers and distributors. They in turn are selling to local hobby stores and bulk buyers looking to sell for more profit. The end user card collector hasn't even joined in on the Conga line yet. Big Grin

When you read comments on sites like Blowout, almost everything is pumped up. That's because a good portion of those posters are sellers themselves, rather than being merely collectors. The 2020 Goodwin Champions are going great guns according to them right now, so what is the source that says not? Is it just that eBay prices seem lagging on certain cards? Remember that this is primarily a sports card set, so the entertainment stars may be regarded as wasted cards to a sport card collector. It doesn't mean the cards are cooling off or that they weren't hot to begin with.

Card collectors don't know what it means, or at least I don't. It may take months after a product comes out, when boxes linger with large sellers and get discounted or dumped, that maybe we find out that the set was really a dog. That the card maker over estimated demand, that the title has been scraped, that prices tanked. Sometimes we are never told, its more like a rumor that you pick up on.

Anyway it seems very one-sided that the news it's all great until its all bad. As far as I can tell the 2020 Goodwin Champions boxes are not only blowing out, they are selling for more than SRP. I didn't buy any boxes because its not a title I pursue, but that's what I hear.

Is it just hype? I don't know and may not find out. Just look at the threads on Card Talk for new releases. There are multiple pages of speculation and opinion before the set comes out. As soon as its released, the conversation dies rather quickly and collectors starting talking about the next one. Shouldn't it be the opposite way around? Shouldn't we be talking more about the cards when we know what they are doing? Guess not, as we rarely hear any statistics that amount to facts and the titles just get old and put away.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just to add one more monkey wrench, with most UD products now you have to factor in what happens when the ePacks are released. It's not just the quantity of cards in the boxes, because that's just a portion of the print run. How much I don't know? Is it the same percentage for all UD products? I don't know. But there will be more cards and more hits in 90 days or so and some people are waiting for them.

How do you figure out when is the best time for you to buy UD as a collector? I don't know. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
How do you figure out when is the best time for you to buy UD as a collector? I don't know. Big Grin

Not that anything you said is incorrect but there are times the process needs to be simplified a bit. Such as when the autograph card of a well known actor is hitting a BIN of $12.99 I think it is safe to say it has hit close to bottom as it can't go much further. This is also the range where you see shipping costs adjust to help cover the low price where a $7 card and a $12 card can cost the same.

If this card is what I am hunting it does not matter was the rest of the release is doing.

If someone wants to play the e-pack wait game so they can save $5? Sure, why not? For me personally, once the card drops below the price of authentication this is the official bottom line with the option to go lower. This is true no matter what card or company is involved.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with you about common hits or undervalued hits from any card maker. If you want a card and its under $15, there is no point in worrying about a buck or two. Many common autos are going for $8.00 and less now and it doesn't even matter if its from an ultra limited product.

The cards to watch are in the mid-ranges of lower $40 - $139 to upper $140 - $239. I have noticed significant swings in those ranges for autos anyway. Many are pancaking downward, but BINs and price guides are holding old values for some reason. Be careful not to overpay based on a previous market that has moved on for cards/signers that have peaked and will not rise again. Mostly those are autographs that have seen continued increases in supply due to multiple sets getting continuously released. Yeah, GoT is a great example. So is Star Trek.

Finally for my issue with ePacks, its only that they are the "other shoe waiting to drop". How can you tell if a price has settled when a good portion of the supply is not yet available? How do you even know what will be made available or how it will effect ePack buyers who are only looking for resale? Should the card collector strike fast or hold back and maybe wait too long? I would much rather know the print run and see how many of my cards are showing up for sale shortly after release, then try to predict what happens 90 days from now. That's just my opinion of course.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:

I am kind of glad there were only two cards in the set I wanted. Made the chase easy and didn't spend a bunch of money. So far it looks like Pop Century will only have a few I am looking for as well. Curious what the A&G checklist will provide.

What existing theme sets of yours has the Root been added to? A bunch, I'm sure! Hopefully, Bill Hader will someday sign a card. That along with the Stephen Root, a Winkler Fonzie, and the Anthony Carrigan from "Gotham" would already comprise a fine proxy set for HBO's "Barry".

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

What existing theme sets of yours has the Root been added to? A bunch, I'm sure! Hopefully, Bill Hader will someday sign a card. That along with the Stephen Root, a Winkler Fonzie, and the Anthony Carrigan from "Gotham" would already comprise a fine proxy set for HBO's "Barry".

Believe it or not, the original Buffy the Vampire movie. Big Grin Plus he is an addition for my VI Warshawski file.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Looks like 2021 is going to be weak on the autograph side.

2020 had 3 hits from three tiers (Autograph, Relic or Patch) per box.

2021 has 2 hits from six tiers (Autograph, Memorabilia, Patch, Relic, Lenticular or Special Insert)

So far this in the only list out there and release is currently scheduled for Oct/Nov.

Adley Rutschman - Baseball
Chloe Kim - Snowboarding
Cori "Coco" Gauff - Tennis
Jonathan Kuminga - Basketball
Mikaela Shiffrin - Skiing
Naomi Osaka - Tennis
Sabrina Ionescu - Basketball
Sky Brown - Skateboarding
Teofimo Lopez - Boxing

posted Hide Post
Yeah, this year doesn't look all that exciting to me. . . I'll watch for a couple of autographs, but that's it.

I am still hoping that they have some non-athletes. They have had some interesting actors and musicians. . .

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Bumped out to Jan 2022