Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Bob Dylan + $600 = Autopen
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bob Dylan + $600 = Autopen
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
He's right, it is done all the time. Just not when you are selling a $30 book for $600.

You don't need too many functioning brain cells to know what buyer expectations are. 17 variations is strong evidence of intentional deception. It is sad to find out he has been doing it for 3 years.

If you are unable or unwilling to sign then don't. Reasons don't matter after that.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
It is sad to find out he has been doing it for 3 years.

Yeah, that's how long he's admitting to, hard to take his word for it under these circumstances though. Apparently, he has also been autographing art prints along the way that cost more than the $600 book, and those signatures are in question now too.

Sometimes I buy signed editions and a couple of times when I got them, they were autopens. That was disappointing, but I didn't pay more than the cost of the book. If it costs more, I'll only go in for a few bucks higher. When the difference between a regular edition and the limited signed edition is significant, you are paying for the autograph, and it had better be a genuine hand signed autograph. Everybody knows that.

The Dylan book went out with a letter of authenticity from an S&S executive. I really don't think they would have created that legal liability if they knew they were going to be handing out autopens. Dylan has sold his portfolio for more than 500M. He doesn't need the money and he's never been overly concerned about pleasing his public, but he's 80 now. Who knows who may be calling the shots? Things happen to elderly celebrities.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
It is sad to find out he has been doing it for 3 years.

Yeah, that's how long he's admitting to, hard to take his word for it under these circumstances though. Apparently, he has also been autographing art prints along the way that cost more than the $600 book, and those signatures are in question now too.

Sometimes I buy signed editions and a couple of times when I got them, they were autopens. That was disappointing, but I didn't pay more than the cost of the book. If it costs more, I'll only go in for a few bucks higher. When the difference between a regular edition and the limited signed edition is significant, you are paying for the autograph, and it had better be a genuine hand signed autograph. Everybody knows that.

The Dylan book went out with a letter of authenticity from an S&S executive. I really don't think they would have created that legal liability if they knew they were going to be handing out autopens. Dylan has sold his portfolio for more than 500M. He doesn't need the money and he's never been overly concerned about pleasing his public, but he's 80 now. Who knows who may be calling the shots? Things happen to elderly celebrities.

You do have a point - It’s Apples and Oranges, look at what happened to Nichelle Nichols. However, on the other hand, it could be he’s got an old man signature by now or he’s just a lazy, old f@rt.

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
You do have a point - It’s Apples and Oranges, look at what happened to Nichelle Nichols. However, on the other hand, it could be he’s got an old man signature by now or he’s just a lazy, old f@rt.

Those are other valid possibilities too. Big Grin

I always think of Ted Williams. Williams was a signing machine throughout his life and even after he had his stroke. Selling his autographs became the family business and I wouldn't be surprised if they had him signing on his death bed.

What would happen if Bruce Willis suddenly sold a ton of autographs or did a signed book? Would people balk because they know about his health, or would they buy because his authenticate autograph is rare? He took many movies in the last couple of years just for the money, why shouldn't he make some money off autographs if he can't work anymore? Who would be making that decision, him or someone else?

It gets dicey as famous people get older, habits change and their own popularity ebbs and flows. There may even be moral dilemmas. That's why you can never be sure of autograph value as long as the person is still alive. Dylan was a pretty solid bet up to this point for collectors inclined to pay out that much and now they have something to worry about too.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting article -- thanks for sharing.

Super shady. . .

The fact that there were very expensive art prints that he couldn't be bothered to sign is shocking.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I always think of Ted Williams. Williams was a signing machine throughout his life and even after he had his stroke. Selling his autographs became the family business and I wouldn't be surprised if they had him signing on his death bed.

Stan Lee too! His last convention brought in accusations of elder abuse.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Weren't there some similar charges about Nichelle Nichols and the woman who managed her affairs near the end of her life?

Posts: 2212 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Weren't there some similar charges about Nichelle Nichols and the woman who managed her affairs near the end of her life?

I remember reading stuff about her home life but don't recall anything about pushing her out into the autograph/convention scene. The last couple times I saw her there weren't henchmen surrounding her counting money.