Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Fictional soccer club cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fictional soccer club cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Topps is selling trading cards for a soccer club that does not exist. Does this count as non-sports?

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The question i have is Why?

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Does this count as non-sports?

It counts as something...

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
The shirt is good too, I think it's a good bit of fun

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
And you have been to Asbury Park at least a couple of times mate! The Biergarten and Silverball pinball!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
And you have been to Asbury Park at least a couple of times mate! The Biergarten and Silverball pinball!

That's why it appealed to me. I do remember

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
The $48 postage did for me

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wolfie,

It's a lot cheaper to create a team, its logo, and decide its merchandise than to make a deal with a soccer league and a team. On top of it you ride a little of the wave created by the U.S. women's team's championship win.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
The question i have is Why?

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
It's a lot cheaper to create a team, its logo, and decide its merchandise than to make a deal with a soccer league and a team. On top of it you ride a little of the wave created by the U.S. women's team's championship win. QUOTE)

Also it's soccer and the pro structure for the sport in the US is like none other, with different levels and no strong unifying authority. Also, despite the USA women's team success, truth is soccer still has a very low profile here and only works up when they have cup matches some place, so people have an excuse to go out and drink. Wink

I would like to see anyone try to make up a pro baseball, football, basketball or hockey team and sell merchandise. See how long it takes for them to hear from the Commissioner's office, especially if there is a sport card license anywhere. So I'm guessing that's why it's soccer and no one cares. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's weird and silly regardless of the sport. But yes, it's certainly a tactic which will fly under the radar far more easily if you pick a sport in a country that's no good at it with no strong league. It would work in China too.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Raven and Ravenheart you have no sense of humor

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Soccer was growing in popularity in the 70's (my cousins and youngest brother played it) but also seemed to reach a peak in the late 70's. I don't know where it ranks in terms of TV ratings but you can watch soccer here in the U.S. - just not on a major network. It might be somewhere south of golf but north of curling.

I don't know. What's the NFL going to do to me if I create my own football team and merchandise based on it without ever fielding an actual roster? As long as I don't infringe on any of its properties, I think I'm in the clear especially if I make it apparent that it's all a spoof.

It goes back to Wolfie's question, "Why?" Well, there seems to be an underlying joke to it as Batman is indicating. It's that in America you might be able to sell more merchandise of a fictional soccer team than of an actual soccer team.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
It's a lot cheaper to create a team, its logo, and decide its merchandise than to make a deal with a soccer league and a team. On top of it you ride a little of the wave created by the U.S. women's team's championship win. QUOTE)

Also it's soccer and the pro structure for the sport in the US is like none other, with different levels and no strong unifying authority. Also, despite the USA women's team success, truth is soccer still has a very low profile here and only works up when they have cup matches some place, so people have an excuse to go out and drink. Wink

I would like to see anyone try to make up a pro baseball, football, basketball or hockey team and sell merchandise. See how long it takes for them to hear from the Commissioner's office, especially if there is a sport card license anywhere. So I'm guessing that's why it's soccer and no one cares. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You are suggesting whimsey or parody Jess, rather than an actual joke. GPK is funny because we know what they are making fun of. If the parody has to be explained to you, it's not going to be funny to you. If the joke is that it's all fictional, only you don't know that until you're told, and then no one cares anyway, well . . . OK.

Regarding the sport, I have a friend with two sons that both wanted to be pro soccer players. They were quite good in school and they got agents, but there was no places in the US where they could get started. So they both went to Europe a year apart. They tried to get signed to teams in Spain and Italy and they did play for a short period in whatever leagues are over there. Unfortunately both were separately hurt in games and had to come back here to get medical treatment for knee injuries. Neither one ever really played pro again and they now have other careers outside of sports. For whatever reason, unless you can get on Team USA, soccer as a full time job is just very limited in this country despite being a fairly popular school sport.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

It goes back to Wolfie's question, "Why?" Well, there seems to be an underlying joke to it as Batman is indicating. It's that in America you might be able to sell more merchandise of a fictional soccer team than of an actual soccer team.

Well as Batman well knows there is a fictional team here in the UK called West Ham United. Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Well as Batman well knows there is a fictional team here in the UK called West Ham United. Big Grin

Hey now can't all be Liverpool! At least they aren't on track to be relegated like Watford Shake Head

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Raven,

Well, the word "joke" doesn't have just one definition, as it can be just something funny or it can be a communicated set-up and punchline meant to be funny, and I used it in its broad sense. None of us gets every joke and even when we get it, it isn't always funny.

I never got into GPK. I don't think they're funny but I have a promo card a tattoo artist was giving out at a local show a few years ago and it pokes fun at GPK. I thought that was funny.

You once mentioned Schroedinger's cat in a thread from years ago. I don't recall if it was part of a joke but wondered then what percentage of Card Talk members immediately clicked to Google for that one. Not being into physics either, I got it only because I had seen a science show on PBS that discussed it. In any case I thought mentioning Schroedinger's cat on a trading card forum was hilarious.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
You are suggesting whimsey or parody Jess, rather than an actual joke. GPK is funny because we know what they are making fun of. If the parody has to be explained to you, it's not going to be funny to you. If the joke is that it's all fictional, only you don't know that until you're told, and then no one cares anyway, well . . . OK.

Regarding the sport, I have a friend with two sons that both wanted to be pro soccer players. They were quite good in school and they got agents, but there was no places in the US where they could get started. So they both went to Europe a year apart. They tried to get signed to teams in Spain and Italy and they did play for a short period in whatever leagues are over there. Unfortunately both were separately hurt in games and had to come back here to get medical treatment for knee injuries. Neither one ever really played pro again and they now have other careers outside of sports. For whatever reason, unless you can get on Team USA, soccer as a full time job is just very limited in this country despite being a fairly popular school sport.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actually, the cards are free when you buy the $50 jersey. Has anyone bought one yet?

quote:
Topps is selling trading cards for a soccer club that does not exist. Does this count as non-sports?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, the cards are free when you buy the $50 jersey. Has anyone bought one yet?

quote:

I was going to but the $48 postage to UK put me off

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hi Raven,

You once mentioned Schroedinger's cat in a thread from years ago. I don't recall if it was part of a joke but wondered then what percentage of Card Talk members immediately clicked to Google for that one. Not being into physics either, I got it only because I had seen a science show on PBS that discussed it. In any case I thought mentioning Schroedinger's cat on a trading card forum was hilarious.

Jess

Hey Jess,

Physics? PBS science? Me? Big Grin

You are correct, I did mention it and I think quite a few more Card Talk members got it than you would think. The reference came from one of the more classic Big Bang Theory episodes where Sheldon solved Penny and Leonard's dating dilemma by drawing a comparison to the Schroedinger's Cat experiment. To wit, you don't know if it's dead or alive until you open the box.

Who says you need to read books? Some of my best pearls of wisdom are gleaned from watching situation comedies. That was a joke. Big Grin