Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Breygent Marketing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breygent Marketing
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted
Here's a "rumor" I heard over the weekend.
I heard that "Breygent went the way of Inkworks."
Anyone else hear that or have facts about it?

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of MvG
posted Hide Post
I sincerely hope not. I am looking forward to their next Grimm release.

Tom, you there?

Posts: 792 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: April 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Certainly hope that's just a rumor because Breygent hasn't been posting here for quite awhile. They are still advertising in the new NSU, so that's a good sign.

In any event, going the way of Inkworks would mean tons of cards being dumped on the market and collectors and dealers getting burned with the prices shot to hell. That is not Breygent. All their stuff in recent years has been ultra limited, practically custom made. I would not expect much in the way of surplus and prices should hold regardless. No one makes cards quite like they do and hopefully will continue to do, fingers crossed. Smile

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hope that is not the case either, but anything is possible. What licenses does it have, just Bates Motel and Grimm, two shows which are ending ? They need something new

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hope not too -- they've put out some of my favorite releases. . . Their American Horror Story releases are excellent.

I've been a big fan of their sketch card releases too.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Fingers crossed that this is not true (I had heard it in April but didn't want to believe it). Tom has been great for the hobby but I'm not sure that the sets were selling however much we like them.

Here's hoping that the Rumour is wrong.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The last couple of releases from them have certainly felt like "clearing the decks" releases to me. I've loved them. Over-loaded with hits, and absolutely no downturn in quality at all. The Bates Motel and Dexter sets have been some of my favourites.

I hope they stick around, but as mentioned above, they are in desperate need of a couple of new, exciting licenses, and need to fix the things which are doing them no favours, like their website being constantly, woefully, out of date and lacking information (like keep printing on their checklist cards that the full list of autograph signers will be available on the website, and then never actually publishing it).

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hope they stick around also. But some prior sets like that Santa Claus serial killer one, were a bit questionable. Not sure how well it sold

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
we are working on our toy licenses

Posts: 3260 | Location: New York | Registered: March 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Breygent Marketing:

Ooch! Frown Not too good for card collectors.

Tommy, if you mean the Kringle Kards, those sketches were awesome. I picked up two and keep wanting to go back and look for some more when I have extra to spend. I can't speak for others, but I loved the killer Santas because, hey how often do you see that in cards? Big Grin

The sketch art was really terrific, even from artists that I never heard about. So yeah, the Kringle Kards were an example of a niche product that the majors would never attempt just because all they want is to bleed the same titles that are popular and can be mass marketed.

That's why we need to support smaller manufacturers like Breygent while they are still able to do it.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Ooch! Frown

Yep.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am talking about the Kringle cards

I can recall that when these came out, many dealers who usually carry ALL of the Breygent product, chose not to carry this set.

So while it might have been nice, if interest is limited, that does not translate into $$$ to sustain the company !

quote:

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good luck in whatever you do and MANY thanks for the cards Thumb Up

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Yes, I am talking about the Kringle cards

I can recall that when these came out, many dealers who usually carry ALL of the Breygent product, chose not to carry this set.

So while it might have been nice, if interest is limited, that does not translate into $$$ to sustain the company !
[/QUOTE]

Well I think that was always the problem for Breygent, how to make such limited sets and still make enough money.

If you make 200 boxes of anything, and there is no demand for it, of course you lose money. But if you make 200 boxes of something and there is great demand for it, you as the manufacturer just sell out at your price. How much money can you profit off of only 200 boxes? The first buyer can jack up the price on the secondary market because of the demand, but the maker only has what he made from the original sellout.

That's why I honestly don't know how it pays for a card manufacturer to get a license and go through all the work of autographs, props and sketches to put out sets that are so limited they are all gone in pre-sell.

I mean that is why the majors like TOPPS keep mining the same material. They mass produce cards for the retail market and target the hobby with limited sets using similar images, that accumulate to nearly the same mass market. But they make enough money to sustain it.

A small card company can put together the best card set in the world and not make enough to stay in business.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
is toys a first for Breygent?

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Didn't they do Trump bobble heads last year ?

Sort of reminds me of Dart in the 1990s.
They went from cards to Beanie Babies

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they do toys from their card licenses
like lets say American Horror Story

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think NECA is probably the best similar model for toys related to entertainment. NECA does the occasional card title too, but there is really no attempt to design for hobby card collectors, just for cheap quick retail consumption. NECA did pick up some decent licenses, including Twilight and Hunger Games, but did very little when it came to the trading cards.

Maybe Breygent is considering something like that, but NECA has been in business for a long time. I have some of their stuff from the early 2000s, probably well before that. They keep releasing new figures all the time.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Comic Images also made other stuff after moving away from trading cards. Not too long ago, they were in the Star Wars pavilion at Comic-Con selling plush toys and possibly backpacks, although my memory is a little fuzzy on exactly what. I certainly hope we haven't seen the last from Tom and Co. where cards are concerned, but if we have, they can be proud of their sets. Dexter, AHS, Marilyn, Sci-fi and Classic Movie posters, Ghost Whisperer, Three Stooges, John Wayne, Vampirella, Red Sonja, Project Super-Powers, Woodstock, classic Animation, Tudors, Wizard of Oz, these were great sets, one and all. I didn't collect Bates Motel or Grimm, but I could tell those sets were very well made, too.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Are they still releasing a new "Grimm" set?

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post