Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2023 Oscars
 Login/Join

Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
The most recent thing I saw Helen Hunt in was only a couple of years ago in a TV series called World on Fire set in WW2. I didn't really recognize her at first and she seemed to have lost the ability to move her face, let alone her mouth. Even her 'resting' face looked like she was in constipated agony. Roll Eyes Big Grin To begin with I thought she was vaguely familiar but couldn't work out who it was until I looked it up. Bit of a shocker. Eek

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

I always thought she was a superb actor. Another highlight for her was "Castaway" (for which Hanks should've got his 3rd Oscar). She also guest voiced in a classic "Simpsons" episode.

Yeah, I think in some cases it isn't that the actor is failing later in life but more that they have enjoyed a full career already. Why not slow things down a little?

I didn't realize she had a 17 month marriage to Hank Azaria. Wonder if that was her connection to the Simpsons?

Very likely. She played opposite Moe, voiced by Azaria, in that episode, which is called "Dumbbell Indemnity" from Season 9 (1998).

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Congrats to

BRENDAN FRASER
KE HUY QUAN
MICHELLE YEOH
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Very cool to see Jamie Lee Curtis win one for herself and her family legacy.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That was a sad, boring show. Kimmel did virtually nothing as the host, yet he did manage to offend Colin Farrell with his Irish jokes. I don't even remember what they were, which goes to show how eager people are to be offended by anything.

You know the Academy has hit rock bottom when the best movie song is something you never heard of, from a film you never heard of, and it can't even be sung because "Naatu Naatu" is all you can understand.

The wave for "Everything Everywhere All At Once" started with the SAGS. There are going to be people who watch this movie now, after winning 7 Oscars, and expect greatness. It's not even close. Some people won't even know what they are looking at. It got caught in legacy politics and a lack of any competition that the Academy wanted to recognize. The only reason why it didn't take Best Actor too is because it had no Best Actor. If they had put up James Hong, he would have won for his screen time. Wink

I'm glad awards season is finally finished because Ke Huy Quan has overdone his one expression. Big Grin

Anybody who feels like sitting through "The Whale", I wish you well. At least "Elvis" has the songs.

And not everyone was delighted for Jamie Lee Curtis' surprise win either. Angela Basset stayed in her seat for the standing ovation and didn't even clap. At least someone there was honest.

Congrats to my favorite Michelle Yeoh, who should not have won, but did and is very happy.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

You know the Academy has hit rock bottom when the best movie song is something you never heard of, from a film you never heard of, and it can't even be sung because "Naatu Naatu" is all you can understand.

Well, you might know that.

We caught RRR on NetFlix a few months ago. It was highly entertaining, and the song in the middle was a blast of energy in a movie already loaded with that. The song was likewise very important to advancing the plot and helped to emphasize the movie's themes.

It's made 150+ million dollars at the box office, but you're unaware of it, so it doesn't exist.

Some of these other movies you're panning, you don't even pretend to have seen, which makes all criticism of such pointless.

Try watching more stuff and you might be less disappointed.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I'm just trying to be a little entertaining here chesspieceface. That was my opinion of the show and the main films this year. I don't believe it is a minority opinion either. If it is not up to your high standards, you can post your opinion without criticizing me personally. Especially not over things that are absolutely meaningless.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I missed the show - got back from work around the time it ended. That was bad form, Angela Bassett not clapping/standing for Jamie Lee Curtis. I thought Curtis was older but checked and they are actually the same age. Curtis has been in show business longer and comes from a show business family and is said to be a nice person. Stuff like that means something to the Academy. By now Bassett should know that the "best" performance of the year doesn't always win. It seems to happen in at least one category every year with critics also pointing out those that deserved to be nominated but weren't. It was a bad look to the Academy not showing respect for another longtime member.

quote:
And not everyone was delighted for Jamie Lee Curtis' surprise win either. Angela Basset stayed in her seat for the standing ovation and didn't even clap. At least someone there was honest.

Congrats to my favorite Michelle Yeoh, who should not have won, but did and is very happy.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just trying to be a little entertaining here chesspieceface. That was my opinion of the show and the main films this year. I don't believe it is a minority opinion either. If it is not up to your high standards, you can post your opinion without criticizing me personally. Especially not over things that are absolutely meaningless.

How am I supposed to sing-a-long with that?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I did not watch the show either, it is easier to spend about 20 minutes checking the videos the next day.

As a fan I thought the wins were fun. All four of them spring from genres that typically don't catch the attention of the Academy. As much as I loved growing up on their performances of the 80's and 90's never does one think potential Oscar. To see them pull into projects that made the top of the list (can't win unless you achieve that first) is a bit satisfying.

Politics? I'm sure. As far as Bassett is concerned I'm not entirely sure if she lost to politics are was there in the first place because of it. If in the end it was politics at least this time it was well played without any shock and awe sensationalism from the media.

Did the best performances win? Depends on who you talk to.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
More card representation in 2024.

Best Actor
Bradley Cooper
Colman Domingo
Cillian Murphy
Jeffrey Wright

Supporting Actor
Sterling K Brown
Robert De Niro
Robert Downey Jr

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Two more awards for the card collecting community, congrats to RDJ and Cillian Murphy.

Although I did not watch it (as usual) my personal fav was the King of Monsters winning his first Oscar. 70 years is a long time.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This was the first time a movie (Oppemheimer) and its sequel (Godzilla) won an Oscar in the same year

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Best Actor

Cillian Murphy

I found out when they announced his name I had been pronouncing his name incorrectly.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:

Best Actor
Bradley Cooper
Colman Domingo
Cillian Murphy
Jeffrey Wright

Supporting Actor
Sterling K Brown
Robert De Niro
Robert Downey Jr

What set did Colman Domingo sign for?

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
He signed for Fear The Walking Dead if I’m not mistaken?

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Fear the Walking Dead....wide vision cards.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post