Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    expensive SW card
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

expensive SW card
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The fact that a very common card that can easily be bought for a couple of dollars -- or less. Can get graded and then sell for thousands of dollars . . .

Well, I'm honestly not sure what to say.

The people buying these cards are clearly operating under different principles than I am. They care about a PSA grade more than I do. . . In fact I've argued before that these buyers are collecting PSA holders more than they are collecting cards.

I don't know that they care much about the trimming scandal . . . Or how inter connected some of these companies are. How many people in the world do you think are paying $5000+ for a $2 Star Wars card in a PSA holder? The number has to be exceedingly small. . .

I'm still not sure what to say. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
How many people in the world do you think are paying $5000+ for a $2 Star Wars card in a PSA holder? The number has to be exceedingly small. . .

I'm still not sure what to say. . .

At least 4 in the past year and a half apparently. Wink

It's a direct result of the grading mania embraced by sports card collectors years and years ago being applied to non-sport cards. Here there is even less merit for it because this card, although #1 in the set, was overproduced and many were safely stored and are still in near mint condition today. Maybe not Gem Mint, but close enough. Big Grin

I agree with everything you said. I myself am not concerned with the people who would buy this card for $5,000. If it's worth it to them, they are welcome to it. I am concerned that high graded non-sport cards are being held up as the shining examples of what we as collectors should strive to own or our raw cards are inferior without a seal of approval and a number. To that I do know what to say.

Poppycock!

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just noticed another PSA 10 Luke sold on eBay for $6877.77 in January.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd never pay that much for these cards either, but I started collecting the graded cards back in 2004 and bought the first PSA 10 Star Wars #1 for about a $100. If you go to the PSA Set Registry, it's the flagship card for the Non-Sport registry. Kind of a point of pride for me, but I'll never pay those kinds of prices for these cards for many of the reasons already stated. I have 305/330 cards in PSA 10, probably won't get many more as the prices have gone up so much for the few cards I still need. Most of the cards I have cost maybe $50 (average over 300 cards), but I have paid up to about $400 for some of the rarer ones. To each their own, but I enjoy them.

Posts: 29 | Location: Bonaire, GA | Registered: November 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It is interesting that you got in early on collecting Gem Mint cards of a particular set. It can be said that the cards are $2 commons but you are chasing rare variants, the rare factor being that someone else has determined that they are in perfect condition. It's no different than the collector hunting a 50's or 60's set in almost any condition because that collector is looking for any survivors of trips to the trash can or the dump or escapees of fires, floods, tornadoes, and earthquakes from the last 60-70 years. Your targets are younger and born of a larger print run but perhaps just as rare because they can't have one nick nor bump - no spot of discoloration nor deformation.

Anybody who collects cards can understand the frustration of nearing the completion of a vintage set and then hitting the wall in front of those last few numbers. However, it sounds like you're having fun even if you don't get there and that is the key.

quote:
Originally posted by Capt Jon1:
I'd never pay that much for these cards either, but I started collecting the graded cards back in 2004 and bought the first PSA 10 Star Wars #1 for about a $100. If you go to the PSA Set Registry, it's the flagship card for the Non-Sport registry. Kind of a point of pride for me, but I'll never pay those kinds of prices for these cards for many of the reasons already stated. I have 305/330 cards in PSA 10, probably won't get many more as the prices have gone up so much for the few cards I still need. Most of the cards I have cost maybe $50 (average over 300 cards), but I have paid up to about $400 for some of the rarer ones. To each their own, but I enjoy them.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
May the Fastidiousness be with you!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Talking about condition graded cards is one of those topics that can be argued either way, because there are valid pro/con opinions either way. It is a concept firmly rooted with sports card collectors and much less so with non-sport card collectors. It's about money plain and simple, and how do we pump up the value of cards beyond the price that they are currently being sold?

Well we get some outside third-party authority to certify a superior condition quality that makes that card rarer and thus worthy of a higher price. Brilliant!

But it works because there is a segment of card collectors who want high graded slabbed cards and the selling prices for those cards of 9 and above is way more than the price of the raw card to the right buyers, even though it might look to many as being in the exact same condition, only some grading service hasn't put it in the registry.

I'm in the other camp, but I'm not interested in turning my hobby into some sideline business either. I also don't have much faith in any grading services because I've seen the manipulation that goes on. I've seen the same card get different grades with multiple submissions to different grading services and with resubmission to the same company at different times. I've heard sellers boost about how clever they are to have gotten a better grade the second time around. And lets not even start talking about the whole trimming/repair controversary that flares up and then disappears again. What ever happened with that FBI investigation? I don't know. Its been more than a year and no one has concluded anything that I heard about, although it is a scandal that was widely acknowledged and will come back again some time. Just not now. Big Grin

Anyway my attitude as strictly a collector has always been that grading can be useful in certain circumstances with old vintage cards, cards known to have been counterfeited, cards of significant value in their own raw state and also for any card that is keeping you awake at night. Even then you are only getting someone's opinion and you have to believe that the "expert" is rating the condition fairly and consistently the same way every time. That really is just a matter of faith because there are too many examples where you know its not being applied that way.

As far as believing in slabbed third party signature authentication or graded forensic autograph reviews, I wouldn't trust that as far as I can throw the handwriting expert. Razz

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I agree.
The only thing grading is good for is the dirt road in front of my house.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I understand some collectors wanting graded cards - "Look, a professional service says my cards are perfect/authentic" - but that's not my thing either. I don't have any graded cards.

I wonder if you find yourself that close to a perfect 330 card set (blue, red, yellow, green, orange) if you do splurge on the missing cards especially if you're thinking of selling the whole thing at some point after you're done. There's always a buyer for perfect.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post