Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    expensive SW card
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

expensive SW card
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
A 1977 Topps Star Wars card just sold for over $7k.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-...T-PWCC-/352827199247

Is that a record for a modern (post-WW2) non-chase card?

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you haven't read the description . . . well try it. . .

I feel like this hobby has just jumped the shark.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have given it a 10/10, there are a few minor ink spots on the front and back. Big Grin

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Whoever writes up the descriptions for PWCC I want them to write my obituary!

Not saying that auction was shilled but there is one suspect bidder on that auction who really pumped it up.

At least it does not appear to be trimmed.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I see what you mean by the shill bidding but if it was it was not needed. The top 6 bids are all by different people.

The price ( in my opinion ) is crazy but hey each to his own.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
At least it does not appear to be trimmed.

None of them do, unless you can find the same card in a prior sale and compare it point by point, as they are now doing with a lot of graded sports cards. Not saying this is one of those at all, but there is just not the absolute trust in graded cards at this time.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ifish73:
Whoever writes up the descriptions for PWCC I want them to write my obituary!
/QUOTE]

Yes, among the other superlatives. "A world-class investment commodity which comes highly recommended by PWCC".

Oh, and its being sold thru a PWCC auction mind you.

Just calling a Star Wars trading card a "commodity" should tell you everything you need to know, so rush right out and cash in all those 401Ks. Twak Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes me too
But not being into graded cards I think that the shipping costs are worth more than the card

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A Gem Mint #1 of that card went for over $6800 last year.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....697083096#4697083096

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
A Gem Mint #1 of that card went for over $6800 last year.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....697083096#4697083096

Yes, now that you mention it, I remember that thread.

Is it possible that this is the same graded card up for sale again? Could be, since I don't see a scan of the first slab, but if not then there are at least 2 gem mint #1s.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are the four previous PSA 10 #1 Luke sales on eBay:

October 29, 2019 - $7388.55
February 14, 2019 - $4297
November 4, 2018 - $5877.77
June 7, 2018 - $6877

So this most recent sale isn't really a fluke. The card is worth big time money in a PSA 10.

Now the card below is a whole other level. It's valued at $47,500 in a 9 and I have a feeling it would sell for a lot more if it ever came up for auction. There is only one 9 and no 10's. Eek Two 8.5's have sold for over $13,000 each.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Is it possible that this is the same graded card up for sale again? Could be, since I don't see a scan of the first slab, but if not then there are at least 2 gem mint #1s.

The PSA 10 mentioned before had a different serial #. PSA has graded 501 total of the Luke #1 with 9 of them being Gem Mint 10.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Logan,

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I must be missing something Logan, isn't that the same #1 Luke Skywalker card we are talking about. The one that just sold for $7,388.55.

Why would a 9 cost $47,500? I think you meant to show a different card, maybe? Confused

OK, now it switched. Yes 3 Stooges are vintage and tough it high grades. #1 always takes a huge premium.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
OK, now it switched. Yes 3 Stooges are vintage and tough it high grades. #1 always takes a huge premium.

Yeah sorry for the confusion. I posted the wrong pic originally. The OP asked about post-WW2 non-chase cards, so the Curly is certainly the best I can think of.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Very interesting that there are 9 PSA Gem Mint 10s on the #1 Skywalker, thanks for the info. I know they put out the population report, but never have it in time. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Here are the four previous PSA 10 #1 Luke sales on eBay:

October 29, 2019 - $7388.55
February 14, 2019 - $4297
November 4, 2018 - $5877.77
June 7, 2018 - $6877

Where did you get this information -- worthpoint?

And thanks for the info about the 3 Stooges card. I should have thought of those, and am not surprised that one would be more expensive than the SW card.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Where did you get this information -- worthpoint?

PWCC has an eBay "Market Price Research" tool where you can see sale prices on cards going back over a decade.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. There are some other types of collectibles that I would like to research price histories on, but PWCC wouldn't cover them.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
If nothing else it is a nice commercial for PSA grading services. Big Grin

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
If nothing else it is a nice commercial for PSA grading services. Big Grin

Yeah, not sure that's such a good thing for them. The average card collector didn't realize how much of a symbiotic relationship existed between selling platforms, auction sites, large sellers and grading services until the whole trimming scandal blew up. Then it became apparent how much these different entities were able to benefit off each other and how the system was really being rigged, both unintentionally and intentionally, by the accepted practices that were put in place.

As the wait for any investigation conclusions drags on, it remains to be seen if any of these practices will have to be changed or if it will continue to be business as usual. If nothing else, I hope that at least some card collectors have woken up enough to not let the "experts" rip them off so easily.