Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    expensive SW card
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

expensive SW card
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The fact that a very common card that can easily be bought for a couple of dollars -- or less. Can get graded and then sell for thousands of dollars . . .

Well, I'm honestly not sure what to say.

The people buying these cards are clearly operating under different principles than I am. They care about a PSA grade more than I do. . . In fact I've argued before that these buyers are collecting PSA holders more than they are collecting cards.

I don't know that they care much about the trimming scandal . . . Or how inter connected some of these companies are. How many people in the world do you think are paying $5000+ for a $2 Star Wars card in a PSA holder? The number has to be exceedingly small. . .

I'm still not sure what to say. . .

Posts: 4487 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
How many people in the world do you think are paying $5000+ for a $2 Star Wars card in a PSA holder? The number has to be exceedingly small. . .

I'm still not sure what to say. . .

At least 4 in the past year and a half apparently. Wink

It's a direct result of the grading mania embraced by sports card collectors years and years ago being applied to non-sport cards. Here there is even less merit for it because this card, although #1 in the set, was overproduced and many were safely stored and are still in near mint condition today. Maybe not Gem Mint, but close enough. Big Grin

I agree with everything you said. I myself am not concerned with the people who would buy this card for $5,000. If it's worth it to them, they are welcome to it. I am concerned that high graded non-sport cards are being held up as the shining examples of what we as collectors should strive to own or our raw cards are inferior without a seal of approval and a number. To that I do know what to say.

Poppycock!

Posts: 7641 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Logan
posted Hide Post
Just noticed another PSA 10 Luke sold on eBay for $6877.77 in January.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post