Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    $100 million free advertising for our hobby [Avengers Spoiler Alert]
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$100 million free advertising for our hobby [Avengers Spoiler Alert]
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
I'm actually very excited about this news. I just finished watching the new Avengers movie and they mention non sports cards not once but 3 times. They also actually showed Marvel trading cards!!!! How about that? $100 million in free advertising for our beloved hobby. Think about the millions and millions of people worldwide who are now going to discover the existence of non sports cards after watching this awesome movie. This is the best thing that's happened to non sports since the first promo card came out Clap

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robomole
posted Hide Post
Yeah that was pretty awesome to see Trading Cards be a key element to the plot! Pretty cool!

Posts: 209 | Location: El Cajon, California | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Imagine what they would go for on e-bay-even with the blood on them. (too soon?)
You could't call them mint.

quote:
Originally posted by robomole:
Yeah that was pretty awesome to see Trading Cards be a key element to the plot! Pretty cool!

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
Umm.. spoiler alert?!?

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clearblue:
Umm.. spoiler alert?!?
What he said.

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I was also very happy about that part of the movie. And many of the other scenes as well!

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dstrohmeng
posted Hide Post
It's too bad Upper Deck couldn't have made those a subset in their Avengers set.

Posts: 380 | Location: Buffalo | Registered: February 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! The movie made $200 million on the first weekend. So far, 25.6 million people have seen it worldwide.Does anyone else share my sense that this could really have a major impact on non sports cards??

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Those were some great looking cards, all right!

And what a terrific movie, hard to imagine it being any better. And now, I can finally look at the Avengers card set I, ahem, assembled a few weeks ago. I didn't want to read the card backs or even look at the pictures too closely for fears of spoilers.

Looks like the next big crossover movie will be "The Infinity War"!

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Chesspieceface, thanks for reminding me of that! I didn't look at my cards either for the same reason!

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Going to see it tomorrow, can't wait and also to understand this topic is all about Wink

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
And now, I can finally look at the Avengers card set I, ahem, assembled a few weeks ago. I didn't want to read the card backs or even look at the pictures too closely for fears of spoilers.

There are no spoilers. Text is very generic. Many of the photos are from the previous Marvel movies and the new ones are nothing more than you see in the TV ads. The last cards are just profile shots and the chase sets. There is not a lot of effort made in any of these sets to tell the story anymore.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Saw the movie with my 9yr old son and his friend. We all loved it. Going again to see it with a friend of mine. I rarely see a movie twice in the theaters.

It's too bad that Upper Deck got the rights to this movie. A few overpriced auto cards. If Crypto or Rittenhouse would have gotten it. Oh well. Frown

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Most of us who broke the Avengers Assemble product would likely argue that point with you. I thought it was an extremely solid offering by Upper Deck.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
The movie is great and now I was able to understand the plot around cards.

Too bad we will not have an Avengers Movie update set with FX base cards and a few more signers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: archifou,

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
I don't know what UD could have done better!? It's a big hit. I cannot find unopened boxes at a reasonable price.

It's got lots of autographs, printing plates, an extensive relic card list, and sketch cards. The autos are overpriced cause of the market price, not because of UD.

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's Agent Phil Coulson's Captain America Trading Cards from Marvel's the Avengers. Remember, They're Vintage!

Agent Coulson's Captain America Cards. They're Vintage. by bigmike2738, on Flickr

Posts: 105 | Location: Mechanicsville | Registered: July 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's Agent Phil Coulson's Captain America Trading Cards from Marvel's the Avengers. Remember, They're Vintage!

This is cool, tx for the pic!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clearblue:
I don't know what UD could have done better!? It's a big hit. I cannot find unopened boxes at a reasonable price.

It's got lots of autographs, printing plates, an extensive relic card list, and sketch cards. The autos are overpriced cause of the market price, not because of UD.

The movie is terrific, the cards are short printed, its a big base set, many of the sketches are outstanding, all the costume inserts are nice looking, and the prices have increased. All and all, it's the best product UD has put out under the Marvel license. That said, UD should have done better on several fronts and I hope card collectors are aware of it, even while they toast the success of Avengers Assemble.

Consider that there are very few autographs here. Its one of the reasons that they are pricing so high, most boxes will contain one sketch and two costume cards. Autographs and printing plates are bonuses, when you are lucky enough to find them. Its a short list of eight signers, but only three were really made for this set. The Hemsworth, Renner and Smulders are from this movie. Hemsworth signed stickers, so even they might have been held over from his Thor inventory and put on the new cards.

The autographs for Feore, Elba, Dennings and Alexander are on Thor cards and really should belong to that set. The Ricci belongs to the Captain America set. I don't think that any of these actors appear in the Avengers film, but I didn't see it yet. It is my understanding that all of the autographs were supposed to have been too late for the original products. Now there are a lot of discounted Thor boxes and really discounted Captain America boxes lying around. Good thing that these autographs were available for use, since only 3 new Avenger signatures would have been on board without them. Wink

I don't mind giving UD credit where credit is due. This release is a very big success, but that's because the movie is great and the product got pumped up following the lesser Marvel movie cards for Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America. One hit every 4th time does not make for a winning model, but that is the history so far.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarvelMorris:

Agent Coulson's Captain America Cards. They're Vintage. by bigmike2738, on Flickr

I wonder who the lucky person was who got to keep the actual cards that were used in the film...
I'm sure there were more than a few sets used throughout the film, but I'd love to get my hands on a set, they're so cool. Big Grin

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post