Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Topps purchased by Fanatics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topps purchased by Fanatics
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
It appears Topps has been purchased by Fanatics.

WSJ Article

For those that don't like to click...

It appears Topps was worth $500 million.
Includes Sports AND Entertainment divisions.
Does not include the candy division.

So, once the deal is finalized, Fanatics is instantly in the card business. No huge growing pains or new "brands" to follow.

This means the Star Wars and GPK cards will be from Fanatics as well.

Interesting take from the article is that Topps only employs 350 people. The must outsource a tonne of the design and writing.

Only time will tell if this is a good move for non-sport. Will Fanatics even care about that division?

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, that’s all I can say about that. Hmmm.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That was fast, I thought TOPPS would have tried to consolidate around Star Wars and GPK with other titles coming in, at least make an attempt you know. I guess they had no one willing to pass up the easy solution in uncertain times.

Personally it doesn't matter to me because I have bought almost nothing from TOPPS in the last 6 years, but it gives a brand new player a monopoly and they have no competition to make them do any better or put any more into it than they feel like doing. Frown

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
It appears Topps has been purchased by Fanatics.

WSJ Article

For those that don't like to click...

Thanks, Ed -- I appreciate the summary I don't have a subscription so I can't read the article.

I would have guessed Topps had way fewer employees. Of course I have no idea what they do in house.

My initial gut reaction was that Fanatics bought the entertainment division because they wanted it. . . Topps has a lot of valuable IP in their GPK / Wacky brands (probably others too), so I have to imagine Topps wouldn't have just given that away if Fanatics didn't want it. Hopefully that means good things for the hobby. If Fanatics can increase awareness and availability in entertainment cards I think that's a win.

It will be interesting for sure. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You can also read about it for free here

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/04...opps-deal/index.html

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post