Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Cryptozoic Announces Restructuring of its Entertainment Trading Card Distribution
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryptozoic Announces Restructuring of its Entertainment Trading Card Distribution
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
So we reckon CZE products will be more expensive, for the average collector?

Well most likely for the average collector, but aren't we above average? Over all, I see alot of hassle with a little price increase.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
That's how I see it, and tougher to get.

I'm already use to the price and the toughness (allocations), because I buy a small amount of boxes and binders from GTS, and have been allocated nearly every time with any of the CZE TWD products. On the plus side for me, with more product going to GTS, and not everyone wanting to get a GTS account, I may be able to get more product. Problem is, I've already lost customers and potential customers due to allocation issues from both CZE and GTS.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:
Originally posted by jane:
Methinks the price of a cryptozoic box is about to rise. Not a good thing, considering you really don't get your bang for the buck in their boxes anyway. I know I haven't in any release I've bought from them. Nothing but lemons.

Really? I think the quality they put into their products is top-notch. Even when I don't pull big hits, I never feel like I'm opening an inferior product with Crypto.

I said this elsewhere, this move sounds good for Crypto, bad for collectors who I think will pay more inflated prices when limited distributors will be monopolizing the product - less outlets to by from, they won't have any real reason to sell at reasonable prices with little to no competition.

I'm speaking mostly of Fringe, but I pulled a $8 autograph card and an $8 costume card from one box, plus 4 $2 chase cards and one base set. Regardless of how nice the set is, that has been my luck with Cryptozoic.

Posts: 3212 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 007bondcards
posted Hide Post
This changes nothing in Canada as those were the only 2 distributers bringing it to Canada anyways , and we had to buy from them anyways.So it just seems it will be a level playing field,which is a good thing.Get ready for this,you can have all the cases of junk like Alphas and Fringe oh but if you want Walking Dead or Big Bang well we will allocate you 3 boxes but hey we bought some from a second source and they will cost you only 30.00 a box more,how many would you like.LoL welcome to what Canadians have put up with for years,everyone is calling it like UD rule,well in Canada its every company.So like I said nothing changes here just another sunny day. Bouncey Clap

Posts: 87 | Location: ontario | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought I heard there was at least one more distributor bringing Cryptozoic TC product into Canada previously, but I could be mistaken.

If I'm not mistaken Cryptozoic has generally (always?) allocated TWD & Big Bang cards to their distributors but not Alphas or Fringe.

So if Distributors are getting allocated it seems likely those ordering from distributors will be allocated as well, doesn't it? ...and if a product isn't allocated by Cryptozoic, then there's no need for a Distributor to allocate it either - simple supply and demand.

Perhaps now the distributors (or direct accounts?) that had allocated product to sell to other distributors at inflated/secondary market prices will no longer be getting the product. Maybe that's why some of those distributors are no longer getting product from Cryptozoic.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Posts: 700 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very disappointing; I was direct with Crypto and used a distributor that no longer will get product. I supplied a lot of collectors with WD, Fringe, and Vampire Diaries cards. Now I will be lucky to get product and if I do, prices will be up.

Posts: 47 | Location: indiana | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you bought some of your product from a distributor before, why the presumption that you'll pay more from another distributor?

Theoretically if your old distributor isn't getting the product any more, then your (new?) distributor for the product should be getting more and hopefully have some to sell you, no?

otim

Posts: 700 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Here's more on the Cryptozoic distribution announcement. We asked CZE some questions and have some Q&A for you on the blog:

More On Cryptozoic’s Entertainment Card Distribution Restructuring

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having read the above announcement I think what folks mean by an increase in prices relates to volume discounts they get by buying multiple boxes to a case. I know I currently pay below retail for volume purchases. With this announcement if I purchase from my LCBS via Diamond I will be paying full retail.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I guess it comes at a pretty good time as I won't be buying much for the rest of the year, but I probably wouldn't be buying anymore CZE based on this announcement, and this comes from someone who has opened 3 cases of most of their releases. I was considering getting a case of Psych and Revenge, but will now likely have to nip that.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My name is Keith Dennis and I have been a non-sports card dealer since 1983. I started collecting in 1977 and decided to start selling in 1983. I co-promoted the West Coast Non-Sports Shows in San Jose, CA in the 1990s with Roxanne, Marlin & Harris Toser of Non-Sport Update.

I have been a GTS customer for almost 20 years and have had nothing but good relations with them during that time. I recently took a position with them to take the lead on the Cryptozoic distribution restructure to make sure that everything continues to run smoothly. As a former dealer, I see nothing but great opportunities going forward. Please know that myself and GTS will do our utmost to ensure that Cryptozoic products continue to be fairly distributed to all dealers based on their overall support of the line.

If you have any questions or concerns, or would like to inquire about opening an account with GTS, please do not hesitate to contact me at 1-(800) 255-5440 ext. 23 or email me at kdennis@gtsdistribution.com

Posts: 26 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: July 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoopy351:
Very disappointing; I was direct with Crypto and used a distributor that no longer will get product. I supplied a lot of collectors with WD, Fringe, and Vampire Diaries cards. Now I will be lucky to get product and if I do, prices will be up.

We agree this is very disappointing. We been a Distributor for Cryptozoic since day one like many others Distributor/Dealers. We have supported them and help promote their products an image. We feel this is will hurt the non-sport card industry and create higher prices for consumers. The non-sport market is a niche market and should reward those Distributors and Dealers who keep it working for the collectors.

Posts: 2 | Location: CA | Registered: June 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep...you and other big case openers may not be opening as much which will make it that much harder for collectors to complete sets as well. It really is a shame.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just get an account from GTS. I wouldn't recommend Diamond, because I don't trust their allocation process, and their reps (or at least the ones I had) don't know #$%#@. Maybe up compared with going direct, but I doubt it will be up from going with GTS. Why do you say "lucky"? Did you have special service with CZE or your distributor that made you exempt from allocation?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:
quote:

Yep...you and other big case openers may not be opening as much which will make it that much harder for collectors to complete sets as well. It really is a shame.

Harder? You must be talking, "willing to spend a few dollars more" because this restructuring doesn't mention anything about making less of a product.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Tirohn:
Having read the above announcement I think what folks mean by an increase in prices relates to volume discounts they get by buying multiple boxes to a case. I know I currently pay below retail for volume purchases. With this announcement if I purchase from my LCBS via Diamond I will be paying full retail.

I haven't been lucky enough to find a place that volume equaled higher discount, or even heard of that. Yeah, Diamond gives higher discounts, but we're talking about a mom and pop shop verses a major chain.

My LCS only gives discounts on 10 or more comics. Being a statue collector, that sucks. He uses the excuse that additional shipping costs cuts his profits. I'm pretty sure $ value of a statue of equal mass is greater and weight is less. His loss. I just started doing business with DCBS. If not mistaken, entire monthly pre-orders are $7 shipping. I'll have to double check on that and see what they sell cards for. I'll let you guys know.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
quote:
quote:

Harder? You must be talking, "willing to spend a few dollars more" because this restructuring doesn't mention anything about making less of a product.

Is there any difference? To me being more expensive means it will be harder for me to put sets together because I only have so much that I can spend on cards (even if it is only a couple of dollars more for each card, that really does add up. I have a very rigid budget that I have to stick to). If things cost more, I have to get less.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
quote:
quote:

Is there any difference? To me being more expensive means it will be harder for me to put sets together because I only have so much that I can spend on cards (even if it is only a couple of dollars more for each card, that really does add up. I have a very rigid budget that I have to stick to). If things cost more, I have to get less.

Since I've only seen people talk about boxes and cases, that's what I was referring to. I don't see GTS raising their prices. What did I say the other day.....$6 more per box. Yeah if you buy cases that will add up. But hey, it's not retail. For me, if I want something bad enough, and the price is not just plain stupid, I work more at my day job. As I see it, IMO, if the average price goes up on the secondary market, it will mostly be from dealers and flippers using this as an excuse to raise their prices. I'm going to do some price comparing on ebay right now.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Oops, forgot to hit enter. Well for TWD C2 sealed boxes on completed auctions. I could beat all of the selling prices. Wouldn't be much profit at all on the lower ones.

Well, if everyone is giving up as case breakers, maybe it's time for me to step up my orders.

Picture of richscards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nonsports:
My name is Keith Dennis ... I recently took a position with them to take the lead on the Cryptozoic distribution restructure to make sure that everything continues to run smoothly

Congrats Keith! I have dealt with Keith for more than 15 years. Total stand up dealer, and I'm sure he will do a great job with this transition! Looking forward to working with you Keith!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: richscards,

Posts: 178 | Location: SF Bay Area, USA | Registered: August 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post