Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Stellar and Mandalorian
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Stellar and Mandalorian
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Two upcoming releases are highlighting Nick Nolte as part of the autograph line up.

Hopefully Carl Weathers will get picked up as well.

I don't think Pedro Pascal signed for GoT so it will be interesting to see if he signs for these.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very cool for Nolte to sign, I really liked his character in Mandalorian.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Willing to bet his autograph for the purposes of cards, turns out as scruffy as his face... Wink

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Willing to bet his autograph for the purposes of cards, turns out as scruffy as his face... Wink

Ha! Was looking at some of his authenticated stuff on line. Not what I would call art but seems to be pretty basic. If he keeps the cards on that level I will be happy. Hopefully he wont be forced to stickerville.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Carl Weathers is a regular at conventions, and now he can charge bigger money now he has Star Wars attached to his name I can't see him not signing cards at some point.

Pascal has recently done a private signing for a SW autograph group on facebook (who have also done them with Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Nick Nolte, Harrison Ford etc.) so I'm sure he'll make it onto cards too.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
2nd year no Sam Jackson and 2nd year with Ewan McGregor. No Gleeson or Mads Mikkelsen this year.

All of the Ridley's I have seen so far have both first and last name.

Carl Weathers and Nick Nolte are FINALLY on an authenticated, official, licensed card product. Dance

Adam Driver as Kylo Ren
Ahmed Best as Jar Jar Binks
Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo
Andy Serkis as Supreme Leader Snoke
Ashley Eckstein as Ahsoka Tano
Ben Burtt as Colonel Dyer
Billie Lourd as Kaydel Ko Connix
Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian
Cameron Monaghan as Cal Kestis
Carl Weathers as Greef Karga
Daisy Ridley as Rey
Debra Wilson as Cere Junda
Dennis Lawson as Wedge Antilles
Dominic Monaghan as Beaumont Kin
Donnie Yen as Chirrut Îmwe
Emily Swallow as The Armorer
Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi
Giancarlo Esposito as Moff Gideon
Gina Carano as Cara Dune
Greg Grunberg as Snap Wexley
Harrison Ford as Han Solo
Hayden Christensen as Darth Vader
Ian McDiarmid as Supreme Chancellor Palpatine
Janina Gavankar as Iden Versio
Jeremy Bulloch as Boba Fett
Joonas Suotamo as Chewbacca
Kenny Baker as R2-D2
Laura Dern as Vice Admiral Holdo
Naomi Ackie as Jannah
Nick Nolte as Kuiil
Omid Abtahi as Dr. Pershing
Pedro Pascal as The Mandalorian
Sam Witwer, voice of Maul
Taika Waititi as IG-11
Temuera Morrison as Jango Fett
Werner Herzog as The Client

Dual Autographs Set Checklist
12 cards. Serial numbered.

Anna Graves as Duchess Satine Kryze & Catherine Taber as Padmé Amidala
Ben Burtt as Captain Dyer & Michael Pennington as Moff Jerjerrod
Cameron Monaghan as Cal Kestis & Debra Wilson as Cere Junda
Daisy Ridley as Rey & Adam Driver as Kylo Ren
Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi & Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker
Greg Grunberg as Snap Wexley & Dominic Monaghan as Beaumont Kin
Harrison Ford as Han Solo & Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian
Ian McDiarmid as Supreme Chancellor Palpatine & Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker
Lars Mikkelsen as Grand Admiral Thrawn & Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Governor Arihnda Pryce
Matt Lanter as Anakin Skywalker & Ashley Eckstein as Ahsoka Tano
Nick Nolte as Kuiil & Gina Carano as Cara Dune
Werner Herzog as The Client & Omid Abtahi as Dr. Pershing

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Werner Herzog! Now there's a signer I never expected to see in Star Wars, or in any other non-sport card set for that matter. If only Klaus Kinski was still alive. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Werner Herzog! Now there's a signer I never expected to see in Star Wars, or in any other non-sport card set for that matter. If only Klaus Kinski was still alive. Wink

RIGHT!!! Meant to bring him up as well. Also looks like he has signed for The Mandalorian release. Did you know he did an episode of Rick and Morty? He could have signed one of those cards as well but didn't

I was recently thinking back to my late 90's and early 2000's collecting days remembering all of the people I wish would sign a non-sports card but didn't hold out much hope for. It is nice to see that every year unique and unexpected signatures find their way into our little hobby.

posted Hide Post
I'm priced out of the Stellar autos. . . Shouldn't be surprised, but some of them are selling for a lot more than I would have guessed.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
The prices being realised for cards from this release have been VERY strong out of the gate. Pedro Pescal has been selling for more than Harrsion Ford!

I think The Mandalorian is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Return of the Jedi, and the strong representation of signers from the show is no doubt behind the hype for this release, what with the new series about to air and Topps locking down all the key names in one set for a change.
We all know Pescal, Weathers, Nolte, Carano, Herzog etc. will likely have loads more auto cards to come in future Topps sets but people seem willing to pay the premiums to have first crack at them now.

...and Daisy Ridley is now signing her full name on ALL cards in this set.

That said, there has also been a lot of buzz about how great the new card design is. I like it, but personally don't think it's as revolutionary as people are making out. The coloured parallels in particular look a bit garish to my eye. I prefer Stellar 2 myself!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Pedro Pescal has been selling for more than Harrsion Ford!

I really have not been following any individual Star Wars Stellar autographs because I'm not a Star Wars fan in general and the prices of Stellar would make those cards the last option for me even if I do want particular signers. Having acknowledged that, that Pascal would be selling for more than Ford, if correct, is proof of the shaky ground this hobby now stands on. Everything is only temporary. Everything turns on the next one and the immediate demand for what is new over what is considered old.

Pascal's Stellar signature should be in demand, but higher than Ford? How do you reconcile that in comparison? Because he is the new star? That's not enough to compare a career or to predict future growth potential. It makes no logical sense, except to say that everything is in the moment and vintage be darned. Who needs old cards and old people when only what's in our faces now matters and has the short lived demand? It does seem contrary to why we long time card collectors started our collections, doesn't it? Wink

Anyway, I'm glad Ridley is now back to a complete signature, although I don't know when she signed these cards. It does seem as though fans deserve the extra letters for the price. I think you may see the values on those "Daisy" cards drop a little because of it.

Just wanted to add my belief that this is because the non-sport card market continues to take on the mentality and priorities of the sport card market, where rookies and current star players are more valued than retired Hall of Famers. Where current daily stats mean more than career records. Where non-sport cards used to be driven by sets and titles, it's now individual autographs that create demand for a product and may even become the entire product. We are marching to the same tune that ruined the enjoyment of sports cards for the mass collectors of the last big boom market and we should at least realize it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Pedro Pescal has been selling for more than Harrsion Ford!

I really have not been following any individual Star Wars Stellar autographs because I'm not a Star Wars fan in general and the prices of Stellar would make those cards the last option for me even if I do want particular signers. Having acknowledged that, that Pascal would be selling for more than Ford, if correct, is proof of the shaky ground this hobby now stands on. Everything is only temporary. Everything turns on the next one and the immediate demand for what is new over what is considered old.

Pascal's Stellar signature should be in demand, but higher than Ford? How do you reconcile that in comparison? Because he is the new star? That's not enough to compare a career or to predict future growth potential. It makes no logical sense, except to say that everything is in the moment and vintage be darned. Who needs old cards and old people when only what's in our faces now matters and has the short lived demand? It does seem contrary to why we long time card collectors started our collections, doesn't it? Wink

Anyway, I'm glad Ridley is now back to a complete signature, although I don't know when she signed these cards. It does seem as though fans deserve the extra letters for the price. I think you may see the values on those "Daisy" cards drop a little because of it.

I've always though Daisy's siganture was an ugly one, and the inclusion of the sirname is the least she could give us.

Even though Stellar is marketed as 'premium', because nearly all the cards seem to hit the market within a short space of time, often they end up being no more expensive than worse sticker equivalents from other SW sets. Then you have another 100 of many signers pumped out in another Stellar set next year which can suppress prices.

The Mandalorian is hot right now so I get the demand, I just think it is very short sighted to pay so much for any auto card when Topps milk these signers set after set. Also, where Pascal is concerned, apparently he is not even in the suit half the time: IMO, he is to the Mandalorian what James Earl Jones is to Darth Vader. I'd be equally happy to have Brendan Wayne (John Wayne's grandson) sign a Mandalorian auto card.

Speaking of which, seeing as Topps always get slammed for reapeat autos why not use their imagination a little? If they want to continue capitalising on The Mandalorian, get Brendan Wayne and Lateef Crowder to each sign cards as The Mandalorian.
Pascal could sign a second card as Din Djarin (helmet off).
Misty Rosas, who performed the role of Kuiil, would be a good one also. Get her on a double with Nolte who did the voice work.
Get all three Mando performers on a triple maybe?
David Accord and Matthew Wood have signed a million times for Topps, how about either sign a card for The Child for people to go crazy over?

And seeing as James Earl Jones has bowed out of signing autographs, why not get Daniel Naprous on a Vader Rogue One auto? THAT is a Stellar card I and many others would love to have.

So many interesting options...!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

I think The Mandalorian is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Return of the Jedi, and the strong representation of signers from the show is no doubt behind the hype for this release, what with the new series about to air and Topps locking down all the key names in one set for a change.

I pick up a case about every two or three years simply because so many of the titles have been ran into the ground. Mandalorian feels new and fun so I thought it would be worth it to get my order in early. My dealer says he can already sell them for a couple hundred more than MSRP. I love the design of what I have seen so far.

I have already picked up the Nolte and Weathers from the Stellar set simply because they are on card and the first release for both. I would hate to see Carl's bold signature jammed onto a piece of sticker.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

I think some of the credit may be due to the COVID lock down. Even the bigger name celebrities have been forced to abandon plans and stay put. They are easier to find and more inclined to have nothing better to do than sign things their agents have negotiated. Any lesser known people with a minor association to the Mandalorian would probably be glad for the extra income at the time.

It does work in favor of any card companies with the money to take advantage of the slow period. Maybe that's just Topps or maybe we'll see more of it come out from others next year.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The Mandalorian should be an interesting product, as its been awhile since I've heard sellers say boxes are going higher than SRP right out of the gate. This is Topps, not exactly known for limiting anything, so I'm not sure how an $80 box turns into $150 before even one gets opened. Wink Nevertheless that seems to be the hype going on.

I'm not interested in the title, but it will be fun seeing what happens when buyers actually get their hands on it.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think a huge part of Mandalorian's perceived value hinges on whether or not Pascal autographs are in there. They got him to sign on-card for Stellar, so everyone now thinks he's going to be in Mandalorian also. That is what's causing the recent jump in box/case prices I think - the chance at a $1000+ autograph.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
I think a huge part of Mandalorian's perceived value hinges on whether or not Pascal autographs are in there. They got him to sign on-card for Stellar, so everyone now thinks he's going to be in Mandalorian also. That is what's causing the recent jump in box/case prices I think - the chance at a $1000+ autograph.

Yeah you're right, that seems to be the logic, but its Topps and there is no checklist yet. Should anyone assume that every Mandalorian actor who signed for Stellar will be in a lesser priced product and how are the card values and quantities supposed to compare if they are there? The Parcals shouldn't be worth as much as in Stellar, although it's possible that the quantity could be less.

My sense is that Pascal signatures will be in The Mandalorian in some limited way, because at this point it would be a disaster for many bulk buyers/sellers if he isn't included.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wow! Best box price showing on cardboard connection right now is $129.

Feeling pretty good about my early case buy averaging $58 Metal

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

If Pasqual is in it, you might consider moving most of that sealed. If he isn't, they will be worth $58. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

Nice pick ups! Congratulations!