Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Topps Walking Dead
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topps Walking Dead
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted
Topps has acquired The Walking Dead card license. They just launched a digital card app.

According to this article on Mashable (which Topps just shared), they're doing physical cards starting in the fall.

http://mashable.com/2016/05/12...leased/#wSKq7BscRZqT

I expect we'll hear a lot more shortly.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Couldn't happen to a nicer group of guys.....

Bub-Bye Cryptozoic.......Bub-Bye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kryten67,

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Here's a little more on the app and how it works (it's not much different than Star Wars): http://www.beckett.com/news/to...trader-app-launches/

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
Couldn't happen to a nicer group of guys.....

Bub-Bye Cryptozoic.......Bub-Bye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js

Sour grapes much?

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I'm not crushed by the news, but I really don't see why anyone should think this is an improvement.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
Bub-Bye On Card Autos......Bub-Bye

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I wonder what this means for Crypto. They don't seem to be releasing a lot of huge sets, and this was really the cornerstone of their output.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Have been using Star Wars Card Trader, as wells as Bunt (Baseball) and Huddle (Football). Will now add Walking Dead

I really have fun with TOPPS digital card apps. Like how they are able to put out new sets or individual cards on almost a daily basis.

Will never completely take over for physical cards, but it is a great companion.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Dealers & Distributors know this....

a Few Years ago, you could order cases of Walking Dead from Crypto direct....... then they made a CHOICE.

You HAVE TO ORDER THE ENTIRE CATALOG FROM CRYPTO to Order any Walking Dead....

Only 3 Distributors could do this.... GTS, Diamond & Alliance.

Diamond Bought Alliance.....

So you could ONLY order from these 3 / 2 Distributors......

These Distributors also made CERTAIN REQUIREMENTS to get ANY WALKING DEAD.

I signed up with one of these Guys.

Season 3 was Split into 2 Releases...

Heavy Allocations on Series One....

I had 6 or 7 cases ordered for Part 2.

I got an email from my Distributor.

Crypto has announced that Part 2 will be Produced 65% of what had been made for Part 1.

My Order was "allocated"

Less than 1 case thru my Distributor.

Then by MAGIC....CRYPTO "found" Some Cases to Sell in Their ONLINE STORE.

LIMIT 1 CASE Per Person! This ran for about a MONTH after the Release....after that, LIMIT 6 BOXES per Person.

They Kept 35%-40% to sell & Under Cut the Dealers & Distributors....

That was my LAST CRYPTO Order.

I talked with my Distributor......

They Weren't Remotely OK with being Forced to carry all the **** to get Walking Dead....only to be LIED to & vissé by Crypto. There are Going to be a lot of Parties about their IMPENDING DOOM!

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
I wonder what this means for Crypto. They don't seem to be releasing a lot of huge sets, and this was really the cornerstone of their output.

It's got me wondering too, especially if this release schedule that Ryan posted from GTS is even remotely accurate:

http://gogts.net/cryptozoic-co...dates-multiple-sets/

That schedule coupled with this news looks like they're trying to release everything as quickly as possible.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of yorkbag
posted Hide Post
I have not been happy with Cryptozoic for a long time either. They really "screwed" me over on Penny Dreadful. I originally pre-ordered 5 cases. Then my distributor called me and said that Cryptozoic is offering master sets if you purchase 9 cases of Penny Dreadful. Also, I was instructed to not tell anyone as this was something that was only being offered to me and someone else and Cryptozoic was testing this “master set thing” out.

Needless to say, I took the offer. My nine cases come in and no master set in my delivery. My distributor said it would be about a month or so until I received the master set. Months went by and still no master set. To this day, I never did receive the master set. Because, I complained to my distributor about it, they made a stink to Cryptozoic and demanded they deliver. Cryptozoic sent half / 60% of a master set, however all the wardrobe cards had a lot of damage to the corners, ends, etc. Basically, they sent the cards that must have fallen behind the machines or something. I would have NEVER purchased the additional 4 cases without the master set incentive. They knew the product was going to tank due to no main actors signing. I am still trying to financially recover from the additional expense of a product that will never sell for the cost paid even at wholesale level.

Posts: 33 | Location: SoFla | Registered: December 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You guys are talking in terms of what is good for dealers and I accept that as valid. When dealers get stuck, so do collectors. As far as I could ever see, Cryptozoic is terrible at the business of getting cards out.

Over a short span of years it had big staff departures and policy changes. The revised distribution system was created and was as bad as described. When they had a winning title it was allocated, how do you make money cutting back on what will sell? They took on too many titles, too many marginal titles and couldn't hit a release schedule if their life depended on it.

All bad news, but their cards were for the most part well done. Autographs were on-card. Marginal titles were made that fans wanted, even if it was a small fan base. I could complete, or mostly complete, many of their titles. So from my point of view as a collector, they are far from the worst card company. They should have been a lot better.

Now Topps will take over Walking Dead. Topps knows how to make cards, but it is a big player and does big retail as well as hobby. First off, you will have sticker autographs. You will have increased production numbers. You will get a slew of manufactured hits, fake patches, pins, medals, whatever is appropriate to the title. If there are sketches, there will be more of them with less quality. Depending on the title, the premiere hits many be boxed skipped. The hobby boxes are no cheaper than anybody else and may be more. They could do a Star Wars and come out with multiple sets per year.

You see where I am coming from. As a card collector I am not in love with a big retail card producer. And virtual card apps do nothing for me. I don't know what any of this means for Cryptozoic in the future, maybe they just lost one big title to someone who probably could pay more for the license. I'm sure we will hear more shortly to clarify.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Unlike Inkworks, I won't be upset to see Cryptozoic go away.

The Requirement to carry Walking Dead would be like saying .... Ohh, You Like Star Wars Cards??? I can Only sell that if you Buy a This Product as well.

Making the Three Distributors Buy all their Products to Carry the Walking Dead, Then SCREWING OVER THE DISTRIBUTORS & DEALERS after making TONS of MONEY OFF THEM....

Then CUTTING ORDERS SO THEY CAN SELL THE CARDS IN THEIR ON-LINE STORE.

Basically BLACKMAIL, Then RELEASING THE BLACKMAIL MATERIAL AFTER YOU'VE PAID THE BLACKMAIL.

CRAPPYZOIC - DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE *** ON THE WAY OUT TO OBLIVION!

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Interesting thing is going to happen here...

I assume this puts a deadline on Cryptozoic getting their Season 4 sets out the door...

Can they do it? And will they live up to the quality from previous sets, or be rushed out the door.

I'm assuming that Topps does not have the silly limitation on characters featured too. That will make season sets better.

But, I will miss the on-card autos.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cripplezoic hopefully you will now fade into oblivion - your policies, your cutbacks, your lies, your delays - c ya and Topps will do a so much better job - true they are totally aloof from the common world but quality wise and on time wise they are on a different planet than cripple

Posts: 198 | Location: United States | Registered: December 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
Unlike Inkworks, I won't be upset to see Cryptozoic go away.

OK, Krysten, you've said you don't like them, you might move along now. No need to keep repeating it and bashing the manufacturer, which we've never been big on around here.

Thanks!

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I'm not crushed by the news, but I really don't see why anyone should think this is an improvement.

This was my first thought.

Guess I am not in the dealer/distributor loop about all that is going on. Although I very much disliked the two part release and their out of the gate prices are really high. As a collector I have had no real complaints over Cryptozoic's quality of product and choices of imagery. Not to mention manufacturers with on card autos are very few.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Krysten - U GO GIRL - tell it like it is

Posts: 198 | Location: United States | Registered: December 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
Here's a little more on the app and how it works (it's not much different than Star Wars): http://www.beckett.com/news/to...trader-app-launches/

Is anyone on the board doing digital cards? Just not feeling it.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Is anyone on the board doing digital cards? Just not feeling it.

I've never done before, but I signed up last night and actually quite enjoyed it as something to pass the time. Didn't think I'd be as hooked, and even more surprised/bemused that I was kind of excited by pulling green parallels. I'll admit that my interest in this hobby these days is 95% just for the autographs, so it's kind of fun to regress back into trying to a build a base set and parallel base sets (even if they are digital) which is an experience that buying cards by the box has definitely diminished.

Seems hopeless to ever be able to have a 'master' set without paying good actual money - which they've got no chance of seeing from me - so not really sure what I'm aiming for with the app, but it's a fun enough thing to pass the time instead of the old Candy Crush.

I was a bit strangely offended that it refused to take my e-mail address when I signed up!? Is Hotmail not a thing anymore? Defaulted to using my Gmail which is what I use on card forums anyway.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post