Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Trek TOS Captain's Collection
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek TOS Captain's Collection
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
Info on the next Star Trek TOS Set

http://www.scifihobby.com/prod...-captain-collection/

quote:
More than 20 Classic TOS Signers, including:

William Shatner (A270) Leonard Nimoy (A280)
Walter Koenig (A281) Nichelle Nichols (A282)
George Takei (A283) Steven McEveety (A285)
Sandy Gimpel (A293) William Knight (A300)
Inscriptions Autographs, with multiple inscription cards per signer:

Joan Collins (Edith Keeler) Clint Howard (Balok)
Sean Kenney (Capt. Pike) Gary Lockwood (Gary Mitchell)
Michael Forest (Apollo) Barbara Luna (Mirror Marlena)
Mariette Hartley (Zarabeth) Robert Walker Jr. (Charlie Evans)

All 80 episodes in one complete set, with more than 300 photos,
plus Never-Before Published Captain's Logs by Kirk and Pike!

BONUS Sets Include:

Throwback Style Parallel to Base Set - 80 Cards

"Where No Man Has Gone Before" Uncut - 70 Cards
70-card set, retelling the entire second pilot episode scene-by-scene. The first apperance by
William Shatner as Captain Kirk. Nearly 150 different photos!

Star Trek TOS Lobby Cards - 80 Cards
80-card set with re-imagined artwork created by Juan Ortiz with the look and
feel of classic lobby cards!

Inside the Enterprise - 9 Cards
An inside look at the interiors of the U.S.S. Enterprise - the Bridge, Engineering, the Transporter Room, Shuttlecraft Bay and more!

Star Trek Movies Captain's Log Cards - 7 Cards
Kirk's logs from the first 6 classic Star Trek movies!

Canada Post 50th Anniversary Stamp Cards
Authentic Canada Post stamps, including lenticular stamps of Kirk, Spock and McCoy
beaming from the transporter room; Kirk and Spock jumping through the Guardian
of Forever; plus other key characters and ships.

Star Trek: Discovery Preview Cards - 4 Cards
A sneak peak at our upcoming Star Trek: Discovery Season 1 Trading Cards!

Cut Signature Cards (Insertion Rate TBD)
Numbered, cut signature cards of Vic Tayback as Jojo Krako in "A Piece of the Action"

Average of 1 Sketch Card per Case

Looks great, but I worry about Trek burnout with collectors...

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
BONUS Sets Include:
Throwback Style Parallel to Base Set - 80 Cards (1:24 Packs)
"Where No Man Has Gone Before" Uncut - 70 Cards (1:12 Packs)
Star Trek TOS Lobby Cards - 80 Cards (1:12 Packs)
Inside the Enterprise - 9 Cards (1:48 Packs)
Star Trek Movies Captain's Log Cards - 7 Cards (1:288 Packs)
Canada Post 50th Anniversary Stamp Cards (1:288 Packs)
Plus, Star Trek Discovery Preview Cards - 4 Cards (1:288 Packs)
Case Toppers (1 per case): 16a/17a Base Card Variation of The Menagerie

quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

Looks great...

Ed

I disagree, the autograph cards are only variants of what has gone before, the only new idea in this set is the inscription autograph which would be more in place on a A4 photograph, not on a small card. Again (according to the above odds), a collector/dealer will have to open several cases to complete the 'Bonus sets'.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge Star Trek TOS fan and I eagerly await the possibility of getting new signers for my collection. I'm not a seller of these things so I collect for the sheer love of the show. However,I am getting burned out with collecting the same signatures on different cards. In the end, how many Shatners, Nimoys etc. can I have? After 50 years,these people have signed tons. This reminds me of the rehashes of home video releases. How many times can you purchase the same video with a new,fancy cover?

Posts: 82 | Location: massachusetts | Registered: March 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There may be some Trek burnout by now, there certainly should be if there isn't Big Grin , but not on TOS. That is still the real Star Trek to a lot of people. And not everyone has all the bigger name signatures, so I welcome a greater supply.

I don't like these "multi-cases required" products either. It just means more and faster dumping of dirt cheap fillers.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Those are some nice variants. Reminds me of the Billy Drago variants in various Charmed sets. Some people even collected his autograph exclusively because of it but I don't think it had the monetary return that they'd hope for in the end.
But for true fans these variants are cool to find.

I've only casually collected various new Star Trek sets on and off since 2005. Some were very nicely done but honestly like Stargate and Battlestar as a more general fan I found it hard to keep up.

More power to those big Trekkies who know what's what. Sounds like a great set coming out so will definitely check it out.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Some very HTF chase levels announced.

Wonder why only one sketch per case? Confused

For incentive levels if you ordered 18 cases (in my dreams) would you get the incentive cards from the 'lower' case levels too?

Just looked at the prices and hope I can find some reasonably priced packs because a box without shipping to UK is already out of my league right now. Frown

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:

For incentive levels if you ordered 18 cases (in my dreams) would you get the incentive cards from the 'lower' case levels too?

Yes you would. Not that I have any first-hand experience with that size order either. Wink

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
RA still has Nimoy on autograph card A280 in this one and it has been more than 3 years since he passed away.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I guess RA hold on to some cards a long time, and in this case they must have planned their autograph lists a very long time ago to have it labelled A280 back when it was signed.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
I guess RA hold on to some cards a long time, and in this case they must have planned their autograph lists a very long time ago to have it labelled A280 back when it was signed.

Very clever marketing. Thumb Up

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
quote:

Very clever marketing. Thumb Up

And smart. Plan out your schedule so you have cards ready to go. Topps and Upper Deck could learn from this.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
RA has been operating this way for years and years. They create 4 or 5 autograph card styles for different titles, usually full bleed, bordered, blue, gold, rarely silver and add valyrian for GoT. Then they get signers to autograph multiple styles at the same time and insert them into product as the seasons or movies are released.

It can take years for them to empty their inventory of a given celebrity and its all on-card signatures. So over those years it can be expected that at least a couple of the older signers might pass away.

Topps and UD have already learned from it, but they have taken the short cut of turning to sticker autographs to establish a ready inventory of signatures without having to expense out the making of cards or even needing to plan what sets they will be in. That's why they love stickers, they are good for anything and can be combined on anything at anytime.

I would take an on-card autograph any day over the sticker kind, if it were available. The only thing that is true really in both methods is that collectors have no idea how many autographs are ever ready and waiting to drop. For a hobby that now likes to push the idea of limited products, even high end autographs are not limited in totality. Not when you have companies hanging on to autographs as inventory and especially when they are stickers. A collector may think that 100 autograph cards in one set is rare, which is true. But that same signer is going to appear in 10 sets, so 1000 autographs will be out eventually. Now that's not so rare. Big Grin But it is good business planning. Collectors would do well to remember that when they bite big on those first appearances.

Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I think the numbered cards like they have for autographs in James Bond and Star Trek are the real planned ones(A280 etc). So far GoT don't even have a code number for each card so they can filter in any style they have in stock whenever they want to.
Am I right in thinking that the James Bond numbered autographs have some missing ones now? Or planned numbered cards that never got signed? I assume that's the risk with planning coded/numbered sets and perhaps why they've never even started it with GoT.

I expect Topps and UpperDeck will be bringing out 'new' Carrie Fisher autograph cards in fifty years time. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I right in thinking that the James Bond numbered autographs have some missing ones now? Or planned numbered cards that never got signed? I assume that's the risk with planning coded/numbered sets and perhaps why they've never even started it with GoT. Wink Big Grin

Yes, you are correct. Bond has 3 numbered autograph cards that remain open, A291, A294 and WA48. Probably were meant for signers not received.

RA did a really good job of getting all the number gaps filled before halting Bond, although they had to overload the Final Edition to do it. Just for Roger Moore, 3 numbered cards A223, A224 and A225, plus an unnumbered one were sent out in the Final Edition.

That alone makes me think that RA doesn't have the Bond license anymore and really is not planning on doing another set, even if its just for the next film. They could have held over any of those 4 Moore autograph cards and had a big hit for the next one. They seem to have chosen to empty the inventory, at least for the numbered cards. So maybe this time Bond Final Edition really does mean Bond Final Edition for RA. Wink

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
RA did a really good job of getting all the number gaps filled before halting Bond, although they had to overload the Final Edition to do it. Just for Roger Moore, 3 numbered cards A223, A224 and A225, plus an unnumbered one were sent out in the Final Edition.

That alone makes me think that RA doesn't have the Bond license anymore and really is not planning on doing another set, even if its just for the next film. They could have held over any of those 4 Moore autograph cards and had a big hit for the next one. They seem to have chosen to empty the inventory, at least for the numbered cards. So maybe this time Bond Final Edition really does mean Bond Final Edition for RA. Wink

Steve at RA is on record as saying they've pretty much tapped all the Bond they can until there is another movie.

He also said the licensor prefers the full bleed format cards going forward. So the 40th Anniversary and Women of Bond styles are likely to be retired, leaving us with unnumbered autos from here on out.

I'm sure Steve prefers the unnumbered just because he doesn't have to field hate mail about open numbers in the list.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

...and the unsigned Vina relic card which is an archive box exclusive...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So is that a thread or string from the skirt? Looks like twined hair. You could probably make a lot of them at that rate. Roll Eyes

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Hi guys Smile Sorry I haven't been involved in this thread yet. Family issues (my father fell down a flight of stairs and landed on a concrete floor on the back of his head) has left my world a bit crazy. But, I'm in need of a respite and where better then STAR TREK CARDS!!! Esp, TOS. So much excite!
I like the TOS/reboot insert set they added!!
If the fates are kind, that Chekov sketchcard will be miiiiinnneeeeeeeeeee

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post