Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Orphan Black Season 3 (Cryptozoic)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Orphan Black Season 3 (Cryptozoic)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
All the same as the season 2 set. Release date is July 19, premium packs containing 3 autographs and one subset card ("chain" ones this time), 12 premium packs per case, guaranteed 3 Tatiana Maslany autos per case.

Again, there's no mention of a base set or other sub sets, and no binder so far either.

This one looks like it has more auto-costumes than the season 2 one.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
Hmm, definitely seems like these are being dumped somewhat by Cryptozoic. Shame, but I suppose I'm part of the problem - I haven't got around to buying anything from Season 1 yet. I'll be honest though that it's partly because the actors were posting photos of their Seasons 2 and 3 autograph cards on Twitter, and I just liked the designs better so figured I'd wait as a) we knew unofficially that Seasons 2 & 3 were coming, and b) it is the autographs that persuade me into buying the cards primarily. I don't know how many other people thought that way too. The same thing has happened with one of the Arrow Season 3 cards I wanted - I know the signer is included in the Season 4 release as well, which, looks like a much nicer card design. Again it was a Twitter photo IIRC.

Cryptozoic might be better off trying to censor that a bit more. I might probably be wrong but I suspect that Rittenhouse releases the 'least attractive' card first so people would buy it for the signer, and then release a more attractive card in a later set so that people would buy it again for the card design. At least that's how I feel about Game of Thrones 'blue' cards, anyway. Not intended as a criticism though, and there's a good chance that it's just coincidental that the card designs/image choices I prefer are released in later sets. I don't think I've ever seen Rittenhouse cards on Twitter or the like first, however, so I'm more likely to buy the first cards that might be released because future cards aren't quite as guaranteed as they were here with Cryptozoic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rwn410,

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Some details on the set:

http://www.beckett.com/news/or...son-3-trading-cards/

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
guess it will be the best time to get a Maslany auto
I have been holding off

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The word is that both Season 2 and 3 will be SDCC exclusives. No doubt scalpers will now be charging outrageous prices on eBay since anyone who doesn't attend SDCC has no other way to get them. This is not a good move in my opinion. Shake Head

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
The word is that both Season 2 and 3 will be SDCC exclusives. No doubt scalpers will now be charging outrageous prices on eBay since anyone who doesn't attend SDCC has no other way to get them. This is not a good move in my opinion. Shake Head

I have a feeling scalpers are going to have a hard time finding them there too. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess that saves me money. I was actually going to go off my hiatus of buying Crypto products and give them another chance. I was truly thinking of getting a case or two of this and season 2.

But screw that. I'm not paying SDCC prices, especially since I'm not going to SDCC.

What a great way to alienate your customers Crypto. What a great way to screw out a loyal fanbase.

It just validates my hiatus reasons.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:
Well, I guess that saves me money. I was actually going to go off my hiatus of buying Crypto products and give them another chance. I was truly thinking of getting a case or two of this and season 2.

I very much doubt you could have done that even before this announcement. These are premium packs for both seasons and the production has to be short. I think there is a pecking order of who can get it first and it works down to whatever is left over. If it does not do well you will find it, but if there is good demand and the chance of profits, you would have to be high on the list to get a large order at SRP.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Since Tatiana signed 30 cards for each clone for Season 1 then that's what I'm guessing she signed for 2 and 3 also. She has 8 different autographs in Season 2 and 10 autographs in Season 3. At 3 per case, that would work out to around 80 cases of Season 2 and 100 of Season 3. That's if she signed 30 of each like Season 1.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jessica:

Well, I guess that saves me money. I was actually going to go off my hiatus of buying Crypto products and give them another chance. I was truly thinking of getting a case or two of this and season 2.QUOTE]

You may still be in luck as it appears they're not going to be "exclusive" to SDCC.

Here's George's statement on them via their Orphan Black facebook group:

"Cryptozoic will sell both S2 and S3 Premium Packs at SDCC (which starts on July 19th.)
Premium Packs are $50 each plus tax.
There will be a pre-sale leading up to SDCC that ought to launch next week.
If any product remains after SDCC it will be available elsewhere like our eStore."

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I think people are way over reacting to this consider that if they did not go this route these cards may never have seen the market to start with. I think it will be relatively easy to track these down even after SDCC it's not Outlander for goodness sake. It seems like with the preorder anyone who wants them can get them. Stop the bitching and moaning it's pathetic and does nothing to push the hobby forward.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming Season 1 didn't sell well?? If that is the case then a full blown release for S2/3 couldn't be justified. I think we must be careful as our hobby seems in a fragile state at the moment and we might have to actually be grateful for what we get!

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm assuming Season 1 didn't sell well?? If that is the case then a full blown release for S2/3 couldn't be justified. I think we must be careful as our hobby seems in a fragile state at the moment and we might have to actually be grateful for what we get!

Hammer hit the nail on the head (pun intended, aaah thank you very much).

If things keep going the way they are now, I give this hobby another 2 years max.

It never ceases to amaze me the way people act- about trading cards of all things.

After 30 years in the hobby, as both a collector and a dealer, there are a few things I have learned. I am more than willing to share them with you.
1. An announced product sell-out is almost never a “true” sell-out.
2. A rare, UN-NUMBERED card is almost never as rare as you are lead to believe.
3. A product not avail from a distributor is almost always “not avail” because they are hoping the few boxes/cases they put aside will go up in value from the current pricing.
4. A manufacturer will almost always do what they want with a product without regard to the general public who buys their product.
5. Very few non-sport products go up in value over time. There are the odd exception here and there, but for the most part, you can always pick up boxes/cases of whatever you want later for a (usually) greatly reduced amount from initial cost.
6. If a product does well the first time, you can almost bet the farm that it will never do as well in subsequent releases. For several reasons.

Orphan Black season 1 was a great looking set. Did it sell well- maybe- maybe not.

Since Crypto is doing seasons 2 and 3 the way they are, and seeing as how you can get season 1 boxes now for $40-$50 a box, I tend to lean on the maybe not side of the discussion. Let’s see how Father’s Day treats season 1. If the usual sources offer 100’s of boxes at greatly reduced prices, we will assume a ton of season 1 was left unsold and dumped to these guys. Happens all the time. How many of you purchased Sleepy Hollow for $20 a box (or less) and there is still a ton of it avail.

I can’t guarantee it, but seasons 2 and 3 will probably be the same. From what I understand, Crypto will be selling the boxes on their own- no distributors. Pre-sale- then at the SDCC- then left-overs on their e-store. How they intend on handling that is beyond me since I thought that their inability to handle shipping of product was one of the main reasons why they went the distributor only route in the first place. Anyway, I am more than confident that there will be plenty made- maybe in the 300-350 case range for each. I doubt they will sell thru all that in pre-sale- SDCC and e-store sales. It will, more than likely, wind up being discounted on e-store or finally sold off to one of the usual guys on sale for Black Friday. This is the way things happen these days. Those with patients are greatly rewarded.

Oh, and a little more advice- if you only want certain cards from the set- don’t buy a box/case anyway- wait for the cards to find their way onto Ebay. Here is the way it usually works. People buy boxes/cases. People open the packs. People list the cards they pull on Ebay. Some people start them on auction for $0.99 cents each. Not just one of each card- but several of the same card- at the same time. They almost always go for stupid low prices.

Some other people put them up for fixed price. These people figure- I paid $600 for the case- got 3 Tatiana autos- If I list them for $200 each, I can sell everything else for almost nothing and still make my 5% profit margin- I am eating steak tonight.

Other people say- I can at least get something for the other cards, so I can live with getting only $150 each for my Tatiana autos. Maybe not steak tonight, but a nice burger.

When the people asking $200 see the $150 price, they usually, more times than not, lower their price to – NOT the same- but LOWER since they not are now worried they should not have gotten the steak and now want to at least get some of their money back. Then, those $150 people return the favor and lower their price to under what the $200 people lowed theirs to. Then it becomes a race to the bottom. Happens almost all the time.

To see people getting so mad about Crypto’s decision about seasons 2 and 3 is crazy. You will be able to get some. Just be patient. You don’t have to have everything the day it comes out.

Posts: 67 | Location: NC | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'd be shocked if there are 300-350 cases made of each. That means they got Tatiana to sign over 1000 cards for each set. I highly doubt that happened. Most of the anger was when everyone thought these were going to be SDCC exclusives and I believe that anger was justified had that been true. As it stands now though I have no problem with the way this is being released and I feel the price is great. As an autograph collector getting 3 autographs for $50 with a 25% chance at pulling a Tatiana is a great deal to me. It's definitely a lot better than $80 for 1 autograph with the Season 1 set. But I agree with everything else you said cubby5454.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Logan,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Cubby, thank you for taking the time to state your opinions as a dealer. Whether people agree with all your points, or some of your points or none of what you said, is up to them and will largely depend on how and what and for how much they collect cards.

Agreement or disagreement is not the goal. The purpose of posting anything to a card forum is to express your opinion and hopefully share your collecting experiences with like minded individuals. Maybe you will learn something, maybe someone else will learn something. The purpose is to discuss, not to keep silent and share nothing.

I am a little perplexed as to the craziness mentioned. Unless you are talking about reactions on other forums or among collectors/dealers in your circle, it doesn't seem as there has been any overreaction in the few posts in this thread. Just a statement on how CZE has decided to distribute two seasons of Orphan Black that are already slated to be premium packs.

Will it be limited products? As premium pack releases I would think that it is safe to assume production is limited. So what does that mean is terms of availability? Absolutely nothing.

It means exactly what I said in my post. If there is little demand for Orphan Black you will easily find it. You will find it in pre-sale, at SDCC, and online afterwards. You will find it for years to come. If there is great demand limited production will dry up fast at SRP. It will still be available, but will cost more.

By all accounts the first season did not sell that well. If it had, we would not have CZE putting seasons 2 and 3 out in this manner. The premium packs may indeed do better if they hold at $50 each. Speculators may be willing to buy on the chance of increased numbers of the Tatiana autographs. All the other cards are very nicely made too. The issue with this product was always the size of the fan base and was it large enough to support a quality card set?

Probably not, if we are going to make the reasonable assumption that CZE would not be making these seasons in this manner if Season 1 was a hit. That doesn't mean the cards are not desirable. They are. It doesn't mean that some collectors don't really want them. They do. It doesn't mean that these packs aren't going to sell out. They might.

Its not crazy talk. Its not negative talk. Its not talk that will bring down the entire card collecting universe. Its just talking about soon to be released products that may be of interest to card collectors. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
I'd be shocked if there are 300-350 cases made of each.

Logan- you are correct.
My bad.
I did a quick calculation when I was posting that and assumed 40-50 of each auto for Tatiana and then messed up when posting. That should have read- 300-350 cases in total and not each. About 150 to 175 cases for each season.
Sorry for the mix up.

Posts: 67 | Location: NC | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I am a little perplexed as to the craziness mentioned. Unless you are talking about reactions on other forums or among collectors/dealers in your circle, it doesn't seem as there has been any overreaction in the few posts in this thread. Just a statement on how CZE has decided to distribute two seasons of Orphan Black that are already slated to be premium packs.

Not to offend the author, but where is the positivity in this post...

"Well, I guess that saves me money. I was actually going to go off my hiatus of buying Crypto products and give them another chance. I was truly thinking of getting a case or two of this and season 2.

But screw that. I'm not paying SDCC prices, especially since I'm not going to SDCC.

What a great way to alienate your customers Crypto. What a great way to screw out a loyal fanbase.

It just validates my hiatus reasons."

This type of thing happens in almost every thread these days. Every forum, every chat group- people are quick to complain.

Batman picked up on it as did many others.
I know Batman personally and know he is a very calm easy going guy. When even he gets riled up, you can bet it's for a reason.

There seems to be a need these days to complain about everything.

If a manufacturer said they were going to put a $100 dollar bill in every box, there would be someone who would actually complain if they got five $20 dollar bills instead of the $100.

I am not looking for agreement. I often don't agree with many things/people. Those are the things/people I identify with the best as they challenge me and make me actually think in ways I never would have. I welcome that.

I just think, that for the health of the hobby, we need to start being a little more understanding and not be so ready to bash everything. These cards will be avail and avail for reasonable prices. Scalpers will not be price gouging. Just wait it out.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cubby5454:
quote:

Not to offend the author, but where is the positivity in this post...

"Well, I guess that saves me money. I was actually going to go off my hiatus of buying Crypto products and give them another chance. I was truly thinking of getting a case or two of this and season 2.

It just validates my hiatus reasons."

This type of thing happens in almost every thread these days. Every forum, every chat group- people are quick to complain.

With all due respect Cubby, your cut kind of looks like you are saying that was my post, and it was not mine.

This is a very short thread so far and only one member had that particular opinion. So to have all the craziness brought up seemed odd. What craziness? Somewhere else?

I don't mind defending my position, but that's not it. I like $50 premium packs with 3 autographs. I didn't do Orphan Black Season 1, but I would consider this if the price holds and they can be ordered.

posted Hide Post
quote:

With all due respect Cubby, your cut kind of looks like you are saying that was my post, and it was not mine.

This is a very short thread so far and only one member had that particular opinion. So to have all the craziness brought up seemed odd. What craziness? Somewhere else?

I don't mind defending my position, but that's not it. I like $50 premium packs with 3 autographs. I didn't do Orphan Black Season 1, but I would consider this if the price holds and they can be ordered.

Sorry Raven, I'm not that good with quotes inside of quotes.
I didn't mean to make it seam like that was your quote.

So how will this go over...
From what I understand, you can pre-order the packs from Crypto- however, you will be required to pick them up at SDCC. You will have to put down a deposit on the packs and then pay the balance at the show when you pick them up.
If any packs go unsold- either thru pre-order or sales at the show- then the balance will be put up on the Crypto e-store.

No distributor I deal with will be getting any of the packs to sell. At least not until Crypto looks to sell out whatever might be left after trying to sell them all themselves.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I will be at SDCC, and I think I will pick up a couple of packs (or more) from each season. One of the best shows on tv, and the only cards I have purchased all year so far were one pack of the May the 4th Star Wars set from Topps, so I am ready to break a few more packs.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post