Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
New James Bond set

This topic can be found at:
http://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/5477089176

October 24, 2014, 10:37 AM
cheifbrody
New James Bond set
007bondcards email me

brody.real@ntlworld.com
October 27, 2014, 07:34 AM
Goldfish
Hi chiefbrody,

I am in uk and have opened a couple of cases and have some swaps including full bleeds, Beswicke etc, can you list your spare 40th, women of bond cards? (I also got Halle Berry!)

Thanks.
October 28, 2014, 05:37 PM
X
No thoughts from anyone now the set has actually been released?

I'm always grateful for a star's inclusion, particularly such a big one, but the more I'm seeing of Craig's auto, the more annoyed I am at how sloppy his signature is. You look at his dual auto with Dench and the consistent signature of his 79 year old co-star who is going blind puts his to shame.

One of my most anticipated cards was Berenice Marlohe but her signature is truly shocking, even compared to her 40th card from last time.

Is anyone else surprised that more cards aren't on eBay? There really don't seem to be as many cards as I expected and buyers don't seem to be snapping up the expensive (but not totally outrageous) BINs for the tough cards.
October 28, 2014, 05:59 PM
wolfie
I like the Brosnan auto full bleed and the Seymour auto full bleed, they look really nice. I like the Craig / Dench auto but as you say the Craig auto is hopeless.

The throwback sets are too expensive to buy at the moment and I'm struggling to find an expansion set to buy.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
October 28, 2014, 06:03 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by X:
No thoughts from anyone now the set has actually been released?

I'm always grateful for a star's inclusion, particularly such a big one, but the more I'm seeing of Craig's auto, the more annoyed I am at how sloppy his signature is. You look at his dual auto with Dench and the consistent signature of his 79 year old co-star who is going blind puts his to shame.

One of my most anticipated cards was Berenice Marlohe but her signature is truly shocking, even compared to her 40th card from last time.

Is anyone else surprised that more cards aren't on eBay? There really don't seem to be as many cards as I expected and buyers don't seem to be snapping up the expensive (but not totally outrageous) BINs for the tough cards.


You may be a little early, at least over here. My LHS isn't expecting to get them in until tomorrow, that's if it goes as scheduled.

I don't know about the tough Bond cards, but the trend that I've noticed lately is that big autograph cards are not carrying the big prices anymore. I'm kind of surprised by how soft the market is for Walking Dead in particular. So as where I once would say jump on the tough ones in early BINs, I'm not nearly so sure that it is a good idea now.

As for Craig, the man doesn't care. Everything about him, from his interviews to his crappy autographs for fans, says that the man doesn't care. I wouldn't mind pulling his card, but I would never spend the money to buy one.
October 29, 2014, 03:27 PM
X
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I like the Brosnan auto full bleed and the Seymour auto full bleed, they look really nice. I like the Craig / Dench auto but as you say the Craig auto is hopeless.

The throwback sets are too expensive to buy at the moment and I'm struggling to find an expansion set to buy.


I agree, the Jane Seymour auto is really nice. I'd love to have it but she's big money and it makes it harder when I think I got her WOB card for £25 back in day. I don't think such 'good' cards need to be rare (and therefore expensive).

Really weird that not many throwback/chase sets are getting listed. I think a lot of dealers are trying to get their biggest pulls out the door first. I can't imagine all the extra time you'd spend collating a base set, three throwback sets and two parallel sets.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
You may be a little early, at least over here. My LHS isn't expecting to get them in until tomorrow, that's if it goes as scheduled.

I don't know about the tough Bond cards, but the trend that I've noticed lately is that big autograph cards are not carrying the big prices anymore. I'm kind of surprised by how soft the market is for Walking Dead in particular. So as where I once would say jump on the tough ones in early BINs, I'm not nearly so sure that it is a good idea now.

As for Craig, the man doesn't care. Everything about him, from his interviews to his crappy autographs for fans, says that the man doesn't care. I wouldn't mind pulling his card, but I would never spend the money to buy one.


Strange that a few UK dealers have their stock before you guys in the US.

I think with Bond, as the sets are getting bigger, there is only so much money completests have to spend on the big cards (less!) and as I have said earlier in the thread, more repeats of that signer = less expensive. Brosnan's first full bleed was £250-£300, now he's hovering around £175. Craig's CR full bleed was £300+ but his Skyfall sig is struggling at £175ish... maybe his ever worsening signature is playing a part?!? Hell, you could get Roger's auto from the last set for under £60... not bad for James Bond himself.
I'm a stickler for nice signatures so unfortunately I'm not willing to sit it out for years on end for any old generic scanned example, even if it might cost less in the long run. I try and stick to a price I feel comfortable paying, bearing in mind what their previous cards have sold for. But for the reasons you've stated, it is far more nerve wracking hitting that BIN these days.

As for Craig's signature, I do think he sees Bond as just another 'gig' and not the privilege that Lazenby (albeit too late), Moore, Dalton and Brosnan (in particular) saw it as. Craig is far more aloof with it all - I think maybe to avoid type-casting. I think there will come a day where he won't sign Bond stuff anymore.
His autos may look naff but he will sign Bond stuff through the mail, at premieres, as well as theatre bumf when he is on stage. He can be prickly in interviews and it is known he's not super keen on the autograph scene (he signs over his face to deter dealers) but he still doesn't shun the activity when it's clearly not his favourite thing in the world - I think that has to count for something. And I have seen worse autographs!

Do you not think that the Walking Dead cards where a bit overpriced to begin with due to the hype more than anything else - like Buffy was many years ago? So now they're settling down to a more 'normal' level?
October 29, 2014, 09:36 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by X:

I think with Bond, as the sets are getting bigger, there is only so much money completests have to spend on the big cards (less!) and as I have said earlier in the thread, more repeats of that signer = less expensive. Brosnan's first full bleed was £250-£300, now he's hovering around £175. Craig's CR full bleed was £300+ but his Skyfall sig is struggling at £175ish... maybe his ever worsening signature is playing a part?!? Hell, you could get Roger's auto from the last set for under £60... not bad for James Bond himself.

But for the reasons you've stated, it is far more nerve wracking hitting that BIN these days.

Do you not think that the Walking Dead cards where a bit overpriced to begin with due to the hype more than anything else - like Buffy was many years ago? So now they're settling down to a more 'normal' level?


Yes, the increasing supply of autographs from the "Bond" actors is starting to show up in decreasing prices. The demand is definitely still there, but collector mentality appears to be more modest, maybe because people already have an autograph of their favorite Bond. For whatever reason, there was a time when I never thought I could pick up a Roger Moore and now he is affordable. I think the first release for any of the big names are holding, but subsequent autographs in the same style have dropped, a lot in some cases. I do think the style is important though, because I myself would view a full bleed autograph card as much more preferable.

As for The Walking Dead, good question. I picked up my first and only box of Season 3, Part 2 the other day. I was surprised to see one as I thought they were sold out. It was also at the original SRP.

I'm not a big fan of the show. I got a couple of boxes in the first season and did not find anything good. I got one box in the second season and pulled the Lincoln auto. Clap I quit after that. I did not see any Season 3, Part 1 boxes at all.

So you can imagine my surprise when this Part 2 box yielded the combo Lincoln auto/costume. I think this guy must just be lucky for me. Wink Anyway I go to eBay right away to check my good fortune and what do I see? The BINs on that card, which I would personally consider to be the best autograph, are between $110 - $125. That is real low for a great card in a product that was supposed to be short printed, heavily allocated and in high demand. Something is not adding up here, but I am not in a position to really know why. Maybe collectors were turned off by the hype, maybe the supply was more than thought, maybe the distribution system and allocations to reliable dealers created a backlash. All I do know is that the prices on the secondary market for WD star autographs have fallen since their first appearance.

I don't think that's a bad thing for collectors that are trying to pick up individual cards. I do think it could be a bad thing for manufacturers if it continues. Why? Because the box and case prices are still being priced high. I paid a discounted $90 for that WD box. I pulled arguably the best signature card in it and it can be had for $110.

For a Bond release, with many good premium hits, it won't matter much if the individual cards have fallen off a bit from their previous highs. However in a release with only 2 or 3 good hits it will matter a lot more.
October 30, 2014, 07:48 AM
Kevin F
One of the things that has affected prices for the latest WD release is that you can still buy boxes direct from Cryptozoic at their standard RRP of $96. So there is no way collectors are going to pay inflated prices of $100+ to buy them from dealers.
October 31, 2014, 07:55 AM
ts
Raven, another possibility. Is that Andrew Lincoln is a great signer through the mail. Maybe, that is why his autograph might be lower than normal.
October 31, 2014, 02:27 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by ts:
Raven, another possibility. Is that Andrew Lincoln is a great signer through the mail. Maybe, that is why his autograph might be lower than normal.


I don't think that his mail autographs are a factor here, although I do understand your reasoning. As a willing signer, either in-person or by mail, it does increase the availability of his autograph on the secondary market, which may count to decrease value. I have heard that certain celebrities actually say that they won't sign autographs for fans because they are protecting it's worth.

However there is a big difference between certified autograph cards and uncertified signatures on cards, even when the uncertified ones are quite authentic.

For starters the certified card, being part of a set and having it's own production number, has it's own rarity level and it's own demand that is separate from the specific signer. Then it has the guarantee of certification, which is not present with a signature returned in the mail or one received in-person anywhere other than a paid signing.

If Kevin is correct in saying that boxes of Season 3 Part 2 are still being sold on the CZE website, that would be a better explanation for the depressed autograph prices. It's not just Andrew Lincoln after all, all the autographs that are repeats have fallen off since the first appearance.

But that is not just true for WD either, take a look at Game of Thrones and you will find the same drop off for star autograph cards on repeaters in the next releases.
November 04, 2014, 09:08 AM
X
For a 9,500 box release I'm surprised there aren't more cards on eBay and so few breaks in the on the forum. Are we seeing Bond fatigue similar to Star Trek and Star Wars?

I've had my main delivery through and my thoughts:
- Binder is necessarily massive, which I appreciate and I like how it's the same design as the last Archives binder which I skyways liked;
- The Casino Royale and Tomorrow Never Dies sets do a good job of being 'fresh'. There is some scene repetition but lots and lots of new shots and angles have even used including some shots I have never seen, which is always a nice surprise. RA get slap on the hand for their TND card back #1: the story is was not "originally by Ian Fleming"! Rookie error.
- I don't collect the gold parallels but have one for each set and the gold foil is nice enough.
- I am loving picking up so many new WOB signers at fair prices, like Eaton, Mallet, S.Bond, Schell, Avery, Hey etc. even Fullerton won't break the bank and that's not bad when there are a couple Very Limiteds in there.
- I never thought I'd say this but I am really pleased to have a Halle Berry auto in my collection. An elegant if 'unique' autograph and a major achievement that RA got her to sign after Inkworks and Topps couldn't.
- I only have one Skyfall expansion card and one common prop but they're to the usual high standard. I would have liked to have picked up some more props but the prices are too string for me. Still, good for dealers and collectors who want 'value' in their cards. Makes me think just how much of a steal the far more limited Skyfall costumes in the last set were!

A puzzling one for me, I really don't get why 'random pool girl' Lizzie Warville gets a Women of Bond card! Or Sheena Easton even if she was seen in the films credits. And I didn't think Berenice Marlohe's auto could get worse than her 40th card, but she's managed it!
November 04, 2014, 03:01 PM
Raven
[QUOTE]Originally posted by X:
For a 9,500 box release I'm surprised there aren't more cards on eBay and so few breaks in the on the forum. Are we seeing Bond fatigue similar to Star Trek and Star Wars?/QUOTE]

I know that I don't usually post box breaks unless I feel I have pulled something good or have something worthwhile to say about the product. Otherwise it justs sounds like you are complaining about getting an average box. Wink

So I did pick up 2 boxes, but only opened one. The other I intend to hold till Xmas for a little anticipation.

The box I opened was slightly above average because it did have the added prop card, JBR29 Parahawk Canopy from The World Is Not Enough. Both autographs are marked as limited, Joie Chitwood and Michelle Arthur. The Arthur is a full bleed, so I was happy about that. I don't know either actor and would not have gone out of my way to pick up these autographs, but that is the luck of the draw.

The borderless base cards are nice, but the gloss may be a problem later on. I was neither wowed or displeased with the photos, but the set and inserts are way to big to be completed by any other method than just buying them from a dealer. The casual buyer won't be doing that.

I would give it all a B-, but like anything else, if I had pulled a big hit I would have been a lot happier about it. Big Grin
November 04, 2014, 03:09 PM
wolfie
If it's right ( and I have no info on this ) that they are having trouble selling the cases I'm fairly sure it is because of the throwback sets. Unless you are prepared to buy a large amount of cases you have no chance of having any of these items to sell.

As for buying one box I think I will leave that to the Vegas crowd.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
November 04, 2014, 03:40 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
As for buying one box I think I will leave that to the Vegas crowd.


You have to be in it to win it wolfie. I keep hoping for that Brosnan, but get a Chitwood instead. Big Grin
November 04, 2014, 07:52 PM
allender
I bought one box and got a Moore, but no base set. The throwback sets waited for a mini-master off the auction site. I'm wondering whether we're moving to a time when nobody buys just a box any more. A friend and I used to share a case for a lot of releases, but then it's tough to have enough stuff for two people from just a single case!
November 05, 2014, 01:45 AM
cheifbrody
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish:
Hi chiefbrody,

I am in uk and have opened a couple of cases and have some swaps including full bleeds, Beswicke etc, can you list your spare 40th, women of bond cards? (I also got Halle Berry!)

Thanks.


Goldfish, did you swap with me ?
November 05, 2014, 03:31 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
I'm wondering whether we're moving to a time when nobody buys just a box any more. A friend and I used to share a case for a lot of releases, but then it's tough to have enough stuff for two people from just a single case!


I find that a pretty depressing assessment. As a card collector I have never bought a case, or even a half of case, of any one title. I wonder how many members that are non-dealers really buy in bulk like that?

As it is, completists and master set builders can't keep up and are settling for less or dropping out. The box buyer is now known as the little guy and manufacturers readily acknowledge that they are constructing set production with the case buyer and multiple case buyer in mind.

So my simple question is, who is going to be buying cards from all these case busters if and when both the big completists and the little box buyers get disgusted?
November 05, 2014, 04:30 PM
Tommy C
Well, I was shocked to see a "sign of the times" recently.

2 big dealers who used to carry EVERYTHING told me this summer that in 2014 they stopped carrying Rittenhouse products other than Star Trek, Bond, and Marvel... No more of the little sci-fi stuff like Under the Dome, etc.
November 05, 2014, 05:18 PM
WOMBLE
quote:
Originally posted by X:
No thoughts from anyone now the set has actually been released?


I like the 'Casino Royale' set and the 'Skyfall' expansion cards. Thumb Up
November 06, 2014, 12:05 PM
cheifbrody
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
No thoughts from anyone now the set has actually been released?


I like the 'Casino Royale' set and the 'Skyfall' expansion cards. Thumb Up


Fullbleed photo with slim white border is the perfect base card, you get nice images of movie (no gimmick or multiple photos) and white border showing no scratching/chipping