Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    New Rittenhouse Star Trek set
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Rittenhouse Star Trek set
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted
On their Release Schedule page - Star Trek Into Darkness (2013 Movie) (Early 2014)

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the movie based sets but am getting tired of all the TV series sets.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It may be due to the studio license, but I can't think of a modern movie card set that will be released so long after the film opened. I know there was that small, expensive preview with the Pine and Quinto autographs, but I don't count that as the mainstream product.

With the short attention span of card collectors for movies, if this was any title other than Star Trek, and maybe Bond, there wouldn't be a big enough demand for it to made at all.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Seems to be an emerging trend. The upcoming Bond set is largely Skyfall. There's this. And Crypto still has their Pacific Rim set as well as the first Hobbit set. Given how protective studios are of images (not to mention last-second special effects), I'd rather have a full set rather than something that's basically a set for the trailer.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
It used to be unheard of, having cards come out after the movie, since a huge reason properties are licensed by the studios is to help promote the film in theatres, that's also been true for comic book adaptations and movie novelizations.

It's a safe bet for RA to come so late to the game with Skyfall and Star Trek Into Darkness since they know for sure both of those film series will continue, and with a lot of anticipation for each already starting to build, especially Bond with the director and star Skyfall, Mendes and Craig, having signed on for the next one. It should be the most successful Bond film of all-time, and in my opinion, Star Trek has never been in better shape, movies wise, than it is now.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
Too bad the set is early 2014, I was planning on telling my wife I wanted a couple of boxes for Xmas. I hope that Rittenhouse keeps the full bleed format of the last movie set, and fingers crossed for Benedict Cumberbatch and Alice Eve autograph cards.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
Seems to be an emerging trend. The upcoming Bond set is largely Skyfall. There's this. And Crypto still has their Pacific Rim set as well as the first Hobbit set. Given how protective studios are of images (not to mention last-second special effects), I'd rather have a full set rather than something that's basically a set for the trailer.

Yes, hopefully the sets will be complete in terms of having a full storyline text and photos through to the end on the film, instead of these 2/3rds jobs that we have been getting. However for movies like the Hobbitt and Pacific Rim, I think there is initial interest that begins to wan the longer you get away from it. Other new movie and TV show sets come out and it starts feeling old before it even shows up.

Bond is a special case because almost all the Bond card sets have been a mixture of the films and just a couple have a single film in the title, so its less time sensitive to a movie release. The new one to come for example is not called Skyfall, although those autographs are what's generating the most demand. The thing with Bond now seems to be just to keep up with the newer films and fill in the holes from the old ones.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post