Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Doctor Who Signature Series
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor Who Signature Series
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The reason it happened is Topps uses stickers. No way would Lalla Ward have signed that card in person.

This is a good example to show to actors when explaining why they should not sign these sheets for Upper Deck and Topps. While many actors are glad to get the extra cash I don't think they would be so eager after seeing this type of screw up that really is an insult to both actors.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
The reason it happened is Topps uses stickers. No way would Lalla Ward have signed that card in person.

This is a good example to show to actors when explaining why they should not sign these sheets for Upper Deck and Topps. While many actors are glad to get the extra cash I don't think they would be so eager after seeing this type of screw up that really is an insult to both actors.

I agree with you that this stuff happens because the stickers are held as inventory for whatever product the card manufacturer choses and have no time frame for use. That is precisely why the makers love them.

The problem is that when it comes time to construct the new card product, the people working on it may only have a limited knowledge of the subject so, like me, they have no idea who played all the roles or if names and faces match.

As for actors refusing to sign stickers, I'm pretty sure the vast majority are completely ignorant as to what they are really doing. Most are not up on trading card processes and don't think of it as doing anymore than signing autographs for a fee. Maybe if they knew that these stickers could be used on anything, for as long as the supply lasts, and they had no other rights to it, they might not sign them.

But most do not know that and I'm sure many would not care if they did.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
Because Mary Tamm has died, this is especially insulting. Really, if anyone pulls one of these, Topps should make it right and replace the card for them.

I can tell you though that actors have no idea how the stickers are used. I met Louise Jameson/Leela and mentioned that I pulled her card from my box of the first series and her response was 'oh, you mean that sheet of little stickers? I was wondering what they did with those.'

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of these type of autograph cards, you really need a nice white box behind the signature.

Posts: 21 | Location: Newcastle | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
EPIC FAIL

What are they drinking over @ Topps?

So you are going to have to explain "Epic Fail" to me.

I have no idea who Lalla Ward is, or if she played Romana I. It does look like the sticker is a signature of Lalla Ward.

So what is the big error here for us non-Who viewers?

I just opened my £100 box and this was one of the autos I got, it's a big problem for me, it's like having one less auto for the price,
if they had got it right, either way would have been a great auto to get, this is clumsy.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I won this... I am a sucker for #1 cards

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:

I just opened my £100 box and this was one of the autos I got, it's a big problem for me, it's like having one less auto for the price,
if they had got it right, either way would have been a great auto to get, this is clumsy.

Get in touch with Topps and demand a replacement. If they are not made aware of this mistake, they cannot help you.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
AGREED. People working on this need to be educated on the performers. Hope this is a one-off error.

quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:

Get in touch with Topps and demand a replacement. If they are not made aware of this mistake, they cannot help you.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone. So I got the dreaded Lalla Ward auto yesterday. Sent an email to Topps about it. Does anyone know what's likely to happen? I see they have a procedure for returning defective cards but it involves a receipt, i got mine off Ebay. Even then, if they play ball it sounds like they could just send an auto from the set and I could wind up with the guy that played Clive Jones or something (aka something not on the same level as a companion).

This is a bummer. My box had Arthur Darvill (a good pull), two low tier actors (average pulls and expected), and the Romana I kind of pushed it from being a good pack to a great pack . . . until I learned about the auto snafu.

Sigh and now I dread getting her again.

Anyone ever had any experience with this process?

Posts: 5 | Location: Maryland | Registered: July 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Maybe its because I'm not that close to being a Doctor Who fan, but I think the card should just be considered an uncorrected error and its a conversation piece.

I don't think you could tag it as a defective card because that's what it was meant to look like. The fact that its just plain wrong is TOPPS' screw up, but if you send it back, assuming they would even take it back, you might wind up with something less interesting.

But TOPPS should be told off just so they understand that they have to put people in charge who actually know the title they are producing if they want to avoid lazy mistakes.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:

But TOPPS should be told off just so they understand that they have to put people in charge who actually know the title they are producing if they want to avoid lazy mistakes.

I don't care whether it's a card company, the fast food joint down the road, any business or human being but "telling someone off" because a mistake was made is less likely to get results than carefully explaining the error and why it's important to you.

I've never met anyone who likes being told off. It makes for an awkward situation where emotions dictate rather than sense.

Yes, there may be a time to raise levels, but never on a first approach. The person you're likely to be dealing with probably doesn't know what's going on. The person at the counter at McDonald's didn't put pickles on the cheeseburger when you asked for no pickles. The same thing applies here. It's basic decency.

Can messages be past? Yes. But the person who just took the brunt of being told off is going to be relaying it in much politer terms while having to take it on the other end.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
i have sent a few messages to Topps.

UNANSWERED!

I tried FB & Twitter....NADA.

Try Customer Service... Lalla Ward signed for Extraterrestrial Encounters w/ luck they have some of those tucked away.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven: Big Grin

I don't care whether it's a card company, the fast food joint down the road, any business or human being but "telling someone off" because a mistake was made is less likely to get results than carefully explaining the error and why it's important to you.

I've never met anyone who likes being told off. It makes for an awkward situation where emotions dictate rather than sense.

Yes, there may be a time to raise levels, but never on a first approach. The person you're likely to be dealing with probably doesn't know what's going on. The person at the counter at McDonald's didn't put pickles on the cheeseburger when you asked for no pickles. The same thing applies here. It's basic decency.

Can messages be past? Yes. But the person who just took the brunt of being told off is going to be relaying it in much politer terms while having to take it on the other end.

"Telling someone off" is an old expression, same as "speak your mind".

Had I realized that it is now being interrupted in our ultra sensitive PC world as lacking basic decency I never would have used it. Big Grin

Really, this is what's it has come to? Roll Eyes

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's a great idea. a signature series, having 87/100 base card signers, only missing thirteen including three deceased doctors and only ten others, which include that traitor Karen Gilan who has signed for Guardians of the Galaxy. Razz

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven: Big Grin

"Telling someone off" is an old expression, same as "speak your mind".

Had I realized that it is now being interrupted in our ultra sensitive PC world as lacking basic decency I never would have used it. Big Grin

Really, this is what's it has come to? Roll Eyes

I got what you meant. Telling off was meant to be making sure you actually spoke to Topps (while being diplomatic of course) rather than sitting back and accepting the mistake.

I get the "conversation piece" argument and the possibility I could wind up with an auto of one of the people that played Martha's parents (or worse) meaning less cool than Lalla Ward . . . but having a mistake doesn't sit well with me. If it had been the correct card the pack would have been pretty darn sweet.

The box that arrived the next day was even worse though seemingly free of typos.

As to someones claim that the card was made as intended, was it? It's Romana 2's name on a Romana card. If Sylvester McCoy's auto was on Colin Baker's image, is that what was intended? Sure sounds like a defect to me.

Sigh, I think my time with this set is pretty much over. I may get the occasional box down the road esp. if the price drops . . . but I def peaked early and now it's less enticing. I am just doomed to get repeats now and the chances of getting a Doctor still seem pretty low.

Posts: 5 | Location: Maryland | Registered: July 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe its because I'm not that close to being a Doctor Who fan, but I think the card should just be considered an uncorrected error and its a conversation piece.

I don't think you could tag it as a defective card because that's what it was meant to look like. The fact that its just plain wrong is TOPPS' screw up, but if you send it back, assuming they would even take it back, you might wind up with something less interesting.

I am also like, what are they going to be able to do for people that have this error? How many errors are out there? I think there are quite a bit, right?

Boy, I'd love to have "the office" when it came to their attention about this blunder and who was determined to have been at the wheel on it.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Anyone who gets one can just peel the Lalla Ward sticker off and Topps will find some old Mary Tamm stickers and send you one of those and you can stick it on yourself. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Relax cowboys, (clumsy as it is) it's what's known as an error card, in the 2013 premier gold set, a Jermaine Defoe insert card was a picture of Etienne Capoue, there's a Xena set that goes up to 72 and the last to cards (checklists) are numbered 71 and 73 Razz

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Also don't forget that even with an actor signing on a real card it does not guarantee that you will still get it right picture, you only have to remember what X said regarding some of Rittenhouse's James Bond autograph cards.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And let's not forget Rittenhouse General Moon 4oth anniv fiasco, still can't understand why Kenneth Tsang signed the cards knowing it wasn't his picture ?