Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Doctor Who Signature Series
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor Who Signature Series
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted
Pretty straightforward - 1 autograph per pack plus base cards.

No other inserts were in the announcement.

Due in June.

http://www.beckett.com/news/20...eries-trading-cards/

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
While I was busy composing my post about the Signature Series arriving June 21st, you beat me to it. I deleted my thread.

So its 4 packs to a box, 1 autograph per pack, 5 cards per pack (not sure if that includes the autograph card since one website said it was 6 cards per pack), 8 boxes per case.

This has over 70 signers on single, dual and triple autograph cards. Everyone seems to be in there, old and modern, with what looks like most of the big names.

I have seen no prices given so far. Me thinks it will not be cheap.

Boy, these stickers sure get around. Big Grin

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
My guess is $20-25 per pack. So, yes, expensive to a certain extent but cheaper than buying a box of other stuff, hoping for an autograph and getting none.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I hope you're right about that Ryan, I would regard that as reasonable. In that range it would $100 or less per box and you are getting 4 autographs. Compare that with other Doctor Who products that cost $85 a box and you are not even guaranteed 1 autograph card.

My original thought was that it will be sold like premium packs and the packs will be around $40 - $50 each, which would make a box high end at $160 and over. If the Signature Series does indeed come out at under $100 a box, I would certainly try it. I think all of these TOPPS Who products have been very well made as far as the cards go. We shall see. Smile

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I would expect this to be priced at Raven's estimate of $40-$50 when first released and then reduced to Ryan's estimate of $20-$25 when it does not sell.

Pretty much what happened with the Widevision set.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
All the autographs I have seen are duplicate names, no new ones at present. We need autos of the 11th and 12th doctor and #9 for that matter. I like the card design though! I will need a full list of signers before I part with cash. I'm still collecting the 1st 2 series: 2015 and timeless.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I think I saw £100 for a box quoted. Good if you get some big names, poor if you get 4 minor characters! Base set will be tough with 20 base cards per box and Topps collation you will be lucky to get a base set in a case!

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like the same signers as always. If they could get Smith, Capaldi, or Gillan, I feel like they would have done it already. This will be set #5 since 2015.

I think Extraterrestrial Encounters had the Doctor, major companion, and major guest star autos printed 1/1 only or printed 1/1 and #/5. I'm not sure I've seen an individual auto from one of the Doctors show up yet. Only the 1/1 Coleman has shown up, and I haven't seen anything other than #/5 for Piper, Corden, Gatiss, etc.

If they do the same here, it will be tough to pull something decent. Resale prices on most of the autos are so low that it would be hard to justify $25 or $50 (or whatever it ends up being) for a single pack when you're nearly guaranteed to get an auto you could buy for cheaper than that from a previous set.

Posts: 12 | Location: USA | Registered: February 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I dealer in the UK is asking £92.99 per box supposedly based on a R/Ex of $1.26.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jade2013:
Looks like the same signers as always. If they could get Smith, Capaldi, or Gillan, I feel like they would have done it already. This will be set #5 since 2015.

Well they have all these stickers, probably signed in a single session by each person, and they have to use them. Big Grin

These cards are very nice looking, but I don't know how the market can absorb them. Doctor Who is a UK character. The series is known in the US, there are people who watch it. How many there are I couldn't say. How many are also card collectors, who knows? My guess, not enough for 5 sets in 30 months. TOPPS aimed this at US collectors, but only UK collectors are likely to know most of both the actors and the characters. I mean we are talking about a series that spans many years.

So a Signature Series could mean the final purge of the sticker inventory and maybe the last of Doctor Who for this card maker. Again just a guess, we shall see.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can say this--here in America I have been to Target, Wal Mart etc. looking for DVDs and Blue Rays of Dr. Who, and was told by everyone that they don't carry them

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I can say this--here in America I have been to Target, Wal Mart etc. looking for DVDs and Blue Rays of Dr. Who, and was told by everyone that they don't carry them

David, they are pretty easy to order online. Try Target with free shipping first, but Walmart, Amazon, you can get pretty much all of them. Sold in stores, NO, they have no demand for it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked up the 3 DVDs with the cards in them on ebay, so I am all set. Smile

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
Ryan was correct on the price for this - I have seen two large sites put it up now and they are $90 per box. I will be buying one box for sure.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
Ryan was correct on the price for this - I have seen two large sites put it up now and they are $90 per box. I will be buying one box for sure.

Which two sites are those? All I can find are the original announcements without any pricing.

That would be a great price for 4 guaranteed autographs in comparison to previous TOPPS Who products. Never look a gift horse in the mouth, but it sounds a little too good too be true. However I would certainly be in for a couple if it is. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I pre ordered a box and including postage (in UK) it's £100, have I got mug written somewhere ? and I WANT JOHN HURT Wink

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jade2013:

I think Extraterrestrial Encounters had the Doctor, major companion, and major guest star autos printed 1/1 only or printed 1/1 and #/5. I'm not sure I've seen an individual auto from one of the Doctors show up yet. Only the 1/1 Coleman has shown up, and I haven't seen anything other than #/5 for Piper, Corden, Gatiss, etc.

If they do the same here, it will be tough to pull something decent. Resale prices on most of the autos are so low that it would be hard to justify $25 or $50 (or whatever it ends up being) for a single pack when you're nearly guaranteed to get an auto you could buy for cheaper than that from a previous set.

When Doctor who was first announced, they had a mock duel auto of Smith and Gillan, don't know if that means anything.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:

Which two sites are those? All I can find are the original announcements without any pricing.

That would be a great price for 4 guaranteed autographs in comparison to previous TOPPS Who products. Never look a gift horse in the mouth, but it sounds a little too good too be true. However I would certainly be in for a couple if it is. Smile

I didn't want to name names because we used to not be able to mention specific retailers on here, but it was Blowout and DA Card World.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
I would expect this to be priced at Raven's estimate of $40-$50 when first released and then reduced to Ryan's estimate of $20-$25 when it does not sell.

Pretty much what happened with the Widevision set.

The price drop has happened on all of Topps Dr. Who sets so far as they are producing too many of them too quickly. The last series (Encounters?) was being discounted less than two months after it was released.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
The price drop has happened on all of Topps Dr. Who sets so far as they are producing too many of them too quickly. The last series (Encounters?) was being discounted less than two months after it was released.

Very true, but at least they dropped. I did see the pre-orders Jason reported and I am quite surprised they are under $100 a box. On the one hand I'm happy, because I think its a good value for 4 autographs. On the other hand, the majority of Doctor Who autograph cards in the other releases are going to drop in price as a consequence. An average signer is going to find the same level of decreasing value all over. Stars may experience less of a fall off because they are still limited, even with the increase in supply.

This is good for collectors who have not been buying many Who autograph cards and not so good for those that have been.