Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    2022 Pop Century
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2022 Pop Century
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Early announcement with the usual suspects plus some first time signers I have been waiting a long time for.

Robert DeNiro, Billy Crystal and Hillary Swank.

https://www.cardboardconnectio...al-pop-century-cards

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have always been a huge fan of Pop Century. . .

I'm torn this year -- some great new names, but I hear wholesale the box price is up another $50, and for the last few years I just really have hated the metal design.

As usual I'll probably target a few individual signers, but given the higher box price I'm not sure if any of them will be in my price range.

Really looking forward to the full checklist.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I have always been a huge fan of Pop Century. . .

I'm torn this year -- some great new names, but I hear wholesale the box price is up another $50, and for the last few years I just really have hated the metal design.

As usual I'll probably target a few individual signers, but given the higher box price I'm not sure if any of them will be in my price range.

Really looking forward to the full checklist.

Oh yeah, their designs have been pure garbage ever since going metal. I have never purchased new product. I tried last year but the price went up significantly after my early order and the distributor screwed over my card guy.

Still they are the freshest signers list every year with celebs I thought I would never see sign a card. Hopefully my want list will be short this year. Wink

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Early announcement with the usual suspects plus some first time signers I have been waiting a long time for.

Not only first time signers -- I can't even think of any cards that Swank and DeNiro have been on. (Crystal does appear to have been on a couple of baseball cards. I just sent a Monsters Inc. Mike Wazowski card to Crystal at the theater in New York where he's in "Mr. Saturday Night" for a signature; we'll see if he signs in and sends it back.)

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Leaf announced a number of signers on their Twitter feed.

There are a few I have moderate interest in, but no must haves for me this year so far. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:

Not only first time signers -- I can't even think of any cards that Swank and DeNiro have been on. (Crystal does appear to have been on a couple of baseball cards. I just sent a Monsters Inc. Mike Wazowski card to Crystal at the theater in New York where he's in "Mr. Saturday Night" for a signature; we'll see if he signs in and sends it back.)

French-made "Supercinema" movie poster card set has a nice DeNiro. It's a little oversized, but these cards were actually sold in packs.

He's also on some standard sized USA issued cards that came polybagged with the Topps Comics adaptation of the 90's filmed version of
"Mary Shelley's Frankenstein".

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Not crazy about the back but the front looks great. Looks like they were also sold packaged with a binder and pages. One turn off is they are oversized cards.

Checklist on Jeff's page

http://nslists.com/supercin.htm

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought a box of Pop Century in years. I used to love to open them because the signers were all over the place and I usually got autographs that I would never buy myself. I expected unknowns and commons and was occasionally rewarded with someone I knew and liked. It was fun.

But then this grab bag product started pricing like you were going to pull a big star with huge odds in every box and I for one did not find those stars. So I had to stop buying blind, even though I enjoyed it. No matter how high the price, and I don't see the box cost here yet, that "widest selection of stars from all areas of pop culture" means you are going to get people you would never collect yourself.

For this one, the presentation cards look very good indeed. Stickers or not, that dual Clarke/Harington is going to make it out before the licensed GoT RA dual card, if they have it. The Portman cut is a full signature as compared to her Star Wars "Natal". First time names are big.

One more thing that Leaf has been doing is these bounties on finding cards. Here it's the "ticket set". Recently they were offering $10,000 for some card in another set. Can't remember which one it was. I like all the ideas, too bad it makes no sense to me to gamble on the breaks at the price point they have now established.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not crazy about the back but the front looks great. Looks like they were also sold packaged with a binder and pages. One turn off is they are oversized cards.

Checklist on Jeff's page

The binder set is really nice and has not only enough correct sized album pages to hold the cards, but also a magazine sized booklet about the movies with all of it housed in a handsome slipcase.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The funny thing is a couple of the binder sets have sold in the past 24 hours. This site is a bird dog sometimes. I recall a couple of "Machete" sets selling right after we had a discussion about them a year or two ago. There were a couple of sales of that Get Smart Bernie Kopell autograph right after we talked about that too.

It does look like a nice set for movie card collectors.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:

Checklist on Jeff's page

The binder set is really nice and has not only enough correct sized album pages to hold the cards, but also a magazine sized booklet about the movies with all of it housed in a handsome slipcase.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Also, here are the fronts and backs of 6 of 15 prototypes that Allender listed as possibly/probably linked to the "Supercinema" set. The backs have a very similar design to the regular set but the numbering is off (prototypes skip-number beyond 144 and the titles are different for the same number). Among promo collectors, these are called the Piemmeci prototypes.

I've had a hard time finding the prototypes I have. Two were lucky finds at a flea market; two were lucky finds on Ebay and one was a gift.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think a second, followup set was indeed issued (and it even had a chase card set), but it's now much harder to find than the original set.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
The funny thing is a couple of the binder sets have sold in the past 24 hours. This site is a bird dog sometimes.

What did you just call me?!?! Yeah one of those was me. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Leaf announced a number of signers on their Twitter feed.

There are a few I have moderate interest in, but no must haves for me this year so far. . .

Do tell. I don't do twits....what other names did you see?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
One more thing that Leaf has been doing is these bounties on finding cards. Here it's the "ticket set". Recently they were offering $10,000 for some card in another set. Can't remember which one it was. I like all the ideas, too bad it makes no sense to me to gamble on the breaks at the price point they have now established.

For the record, I got my card makers mixed up here. The $10,000 bounty I remembered is from Zerocool, not Leaf. It's being offered on the 1/1 Knoxville autograph in "Jackass". Not found yet I don't think, but cash buy back bounties for big cards looks like another incentive option that they are picking up on.

I don't know. "Bounties" from the maker on their own cards seems like it could cause some issues when a lot of dough is involved.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It was found about a month ago and the finder got paid the bounty. I think the payoff came from a card-selling website as opposed to being provided by Zerocool themselves.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
It was found about a month ago and the finder got paid the bounty. I think the payoff came from a card-selling website as opposed to being provided by Zerocool themselves.

Oh yeah, you're right, it was D & A who issued the "bounty". Can't find anything about the payout yet. So are we to expect seeing it go for more soon at auction? Crazy stuff, I wouldn't spend $100 for Knoxville and that's the truth. Big Grin

According to Cardboard Connections' write up on Pop Century 2022, "Leaf also mentioned a "massive bounty" for those who can complete the full ticket set". I don't know if that means cash or another sort of prize, but it looks like the word "bounty" has caught on.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the skinny on that:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/...thread.php?t=1521290

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If anyone is interested, there is a new Leaf solicitation out for a "Red, White and Blue" edition of this available tomorrow. The hook on this one is that the 4 cards per box are all numbered to 10 and under, with the hint that bigger signers might prevail. You know if you want to chance it or not.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a ploy to boost a lagging product
Or a product that the company dose not have the expected number of orders for on issue day.
Although I was thinking of offering higher prices for some of the few items that I need for my personal Inkworks promo collection
Would this be classed as Bounty

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post