Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    2022 Pop Century
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2022 Pop Century
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Sounds like a ploy to boost a lagging product
Or a product that the company dose not have the expected number of orders for on issue day.
Although I was thinking of offering higher prices for some of the few items that I need for my personal Inkworks promo collection
Would this be classed as Bounty

They have been doing it for virtually all of their Metal products for a couple of years. It's a limited online exclusive configuration with only the parallels, which aren't in hobby boxes.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:

They have been doing it for virtually all of their Metal products for a couple of years. It's a limited online exclusive configuration with only the parallels, which aren't in hobby boxes.

I think I first saw them last year. Seems like we should have a full checklist by now.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Sounds like a ploy to boost a lagging product
Or a product that the company dose not have the expected number of orders for on issue day.
Although I was thinking of offering higher prices for some of the few items that I need for my personal Inkworks promo collection
Would this be classed as Bounty

I was watching the Pop Century boxes when they went live. I think they sold out in about 5 minutes. Not sure how many they made, but there sure were enough buyers for what they offered.

Posts: 67 | Location: NC | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cubby5454:
I was watching the Pop Century boxes when they went live. I think they sold out in about 5 minutes. Not sure how many they made, but there sure were enough buyers for what they offered.

It's a high risk, high reward product. If it didn't have demand, they wouldn't keep bringing it back. However these signers are really scattered, and I do believe that Leaf can only cut the contents and raise the box price so much before they cancel themselves out. They are walking along the cliff edge now in my opinion.

If I could find a bargain, I would try it too. Smile

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
(Crystal does appear to have been on a couple of baseball cards. I just sent a Monsters Inc. Mike Wazowski card to Crystal at the theater in New York where he's in "Mr. Saturday Night" for a signature; we'll see if he signs in and sends it back.)

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
(Crystal does appear to have been on a couple of baseball cards. I just sent a Monsters Inc. Mike Wazowski card to Crystal at the theater in New York where he's in "Mr. Saturday Night" for a signature; we'll see if he signs in and sends it back.)

Nice! I'd been considering doing the same, guess I better get on it before the run is done!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Leaf announced Bob Odenkirk in this release on Twitter.

Pretty cool autograph, but I would have been much more interested during Breaking Bad. . . at least Saul isn't quite over.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Just posted the full checklist: https://www.beckett.com/news/2...f-metal-pop-century/

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You have to admire Pop Century's card designs and photo selection. Pick of the litter, first card shown, is young Robert De Niro with a blue garbage can lid on his head. Big Grin

Well not really, but they couldn't find any candid picture of him minus the beret, or cap, or whatever fad hat that's called, sometime within the last 30 years? Roll Eyes

Anyway it's a pretty standard Pop Century checklist with some of the usual clunkers and some big names that I wouldn't mind having if I just pulled them. No Holy Grails or "must buy at any cost" for me though. Three big duals out of the ten, GoT and When Harry Met Sally. Plus, more than a couple of the signers are no longer with us.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really is a strong checklist -- there aren't a lot of people on there who I had to look up to figure out who they were, and nearly everyone that I looked up I was familiar with even if I didn't know them by name.

If I were still buying boxes of Pop Century I wouldn't even hesitate on this set -- due to the price increases, and even more so the change to a 'metal' design I no longer buy boxes of Pop Century and only pick up singles. . .

Despite the over all strong checklist of people I wouldn't mind pulling out of a random box there are only a few I actually see myself chasing.

It feels like the checklist is skewing older and older, and many of the signers have signed before. . . I'd like to see more younger talent signing -- no 'stunning starlets' this year.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I've got 9 on my want list. Judd Nelson is the last member of the Breakfast Club to finally sign.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There is 1 autograph on the list I'll chase -- if the prices are reasonable. And probably another half dozen I'll pick up if they seem like a bargain.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Nice! I'd been considering doing the same, guess I better get on it before the run is done!

It runs through Sept. 4. Too bad he doesn't have a Fernando Lamas card in the StarPics SNL set.

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As someone who saves all their concert tickets, I really like the Live In Concert concept!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
An auto by Al Sharpton ? LOL

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
An auto by Al Sharpton ? LOL

Not just an autograph, a cut signature card. Big Grin

But being fair, is there any rush for Oliver North and Newt Gingrich cuts either. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wow! These are painful to look at!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30457...8:g:4iYAAOSwXhti2KhP

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wonder if this is his signature now or just a one off scribble?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Wow! These are painful to look at!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30457...8:g:4iYAAOSwXhti2KhP

Wow -- holy crap.

I HATE most of the designs. I hate them enough to avoid buying cards I was planning on buying.

Geez.

Also -- there are soooo many 'breaks' posted now. I'm not sure if that is normal for Pop Century or not, but it seems excessive this time.

That new Seagal auto is tough. Barely looks like the same signature.

posted Hide Post
Why are the 'Glamour Graphs' in Black and White?!?!?!

I don't know anyone who would prefer that to the original photo.

The graphics in general are SUPER loud on top of generally SUPER loud 'metal' designs. It significantly detracts from the photo and autograph.