Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Trek: TNG Portfolio Prints Series 1 (Rittenhouse)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek: TNG Portfolio Prints Series 1 (Rittenhouse)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Spotted this on Blowout. According to the Rittenhouse schedule the release date is November 11.

Star Trek: TNG Portfolio Prints Trading Cards (Rittenhouse)

3 Autograph Cards Inside Every Box!

1 Color Sketch Card Inside Every Case!

The first of a two-part series of cards featuring never-before published episode art by renowned artist Juan Ortiz. Each of the 177 episodes from Star Trek: The Next Generation will be depicted on its own card, with 89 cards in Series One, and the remaining 88 cards Series Two.

Sketch card artists currently include Irma Ahmed, Kristin Allen, Leon Braojos, Francois Chartier, Adam Cleveland, Roy Cover, David Day, Anthony Douglas, Norman Jim Faustino, Connie Faye, Bien Flores, Javier Gonzalez, Dan Gorman, James Hiralez, Scout Houseman, Gavin Hunt, Laura Inglis, Seth Ismart, John Jackman, Mike James, Jason Kemp, Achilleas Kokkinakis, Rich Kunz, Lee Lightfoot, Tirso Llaneta, Eva Mae, Jeff Mallinson, Warren Martineck, Eric McConnell, Chris Meeks, Rich Molinelli, Nathan Nelson, Tanner Padlo, Gener Pedrina, Sean Pence, Prescilla Petraites, Brent Ragland, Ian Roberts, Scott Rorie, Jason Saldajeno, Richard Salvucci, Tim Shay, Danny Silva, Emily Tester, Brad Utterstrom, Wu Wei and Helga Wojik.

Autograph signers include Whoopi Goldberg (Guinan), Brent Spiner (Data), Jonathan Frakes (Riker), Kevin Conway (Kahless the Unforgettable), Daniel Davis (Professor Moriarty), Bob Gunton (Captain Maxwell; also co-star of Netflix's "Daredevil" TV series), Robert Schenkkan (Lt. Cmdr. Dexter Remmick), Jaime Hubbard (Salia), Leonard John Crofoot (Lal), Brooke Bundy (Chief Engineer Sarah McDougal), J.C. Brandy (Ensign Marta Batanides), Lycia Naff (Ensign Sonya Gomez), Robert Knepper (Wyatt Miller), Tracee Cocco (Lt. Jae), Salome Jens (Ancient Humanoid), Rosalyn Landor (Brenna O'Dell), Joanna Miles (Perrin), Charles Dennis (Sunad) and many more first-time signers! More than 50 different autograph cards!

SET COMPOSITION

89 BASE SET cards featuring all-new episode art by renowned artist Juan Ortiz!

89 GOLD base parallel cards featuring gold facsimile signature of Juan Ortiz (1:24 packs/1 per box)

89 AUTOGRAPH base parallel cards with authentic hand-signed cards by artist Juan Ortiz (insertion rate TBD)

9 SHIPS OF THE LINE bonus cards (1:48 packs)

40 TNG COMICS (1989 series) bonus cards (1:24 packs/1 per box)

40 TNG COMICS ARCHIVE CUTS bonus cards featuring original, authentic cut comic panels (1989 series) (1:48 packs)

9 TNG UNIVERSE ART bonus character cards (1:24 packs/1 per box)

10 TNG METAL bonus cards featuring TNG Silhouette Gallery and TNG
Rendered Art (1:288 packs/1 per case)(sequentially numbered to 100 or less)

AUTOGRAPH cards from more than 50 different actors (1:8 packs/3 per box)

SKETCH cards hand-drawn by top artists (1:288 packs/1 per case)

Case Toppers (1 Per Case):
"Make It So, Number One" Card
"Ode To Spot" Card

6-Case Incentive:
Marina Sirtis (Troi)/Jonathan Frakes (Riker) Dual Autograph Card

9-Case Incentive:
Hand-Painted Sketch/Art Card by Mick Glebe, Matt Glebe or Charles Hall

18-Case Incentive:
STAR TREK: The Next Generation Portfolio Prints Trading Cards Archive Box!

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

40 TNG COMICS ARCHIVE CUTS bonus cards featuring original, authentic cut comic panels (1989 series) (1:48 packs)

EH? Eek

Posts: 1116 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

EH? Eek

Yep, even the mini-master has become impossible. 40 card set at 1 per box? Insane, IMHO.

The cuts I can see. They are "sort-of" a hit, so I wouldn't count them in anything but a master set.

Master sets are even getting out of reach of the biggest collectors.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I've been mulling this over today. One of the biggest challenges is to keep adapting (if we opt to adapt) to the changes and no clear *mini-master* set is kind of..I dunno what word would be right..sad for the people who want to continue to collect in spite of the high bar of cost. I admire that very much. Who somehow hang onto the joy of collect with the odds so stacked against them.
SO, I am mulling over how to make some kinda mini-master set outta this AND to find a good and proper name for it:

common set
common autographs
case toppers
promo cards
1 each of the insert sets: ships of the line, 1 base parallel card, 1 autographed base parallel, 1 comic card, 1 comic archive card, 1 universe art, 1 metal card.
Should it be two levels instead of just 1? So like 1 set has

common set
common autographs
case toppers
promo cards
ships of the line
1 comic card
1 universe art

and 1 set has that PLUS:
1 metal card
1 comic archive card
1 base parallel card, 1 autographed base parallel

and what would we call them, they need pretty names!!
The" This is the best I can do set" Noooo, that seems sad....
The mini-Sampler" and the second level could be
The Sampler...OH. I could send a small box of Whitman's chocolates with it Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: STCardGeek,

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
This may seem a bit of a simple statement but then i am a bit simple but..........

I blame the people who buy it.!

One of these days nobody will buy it and then they will realise that they have gone too far but as long as the product keeps selling out.................

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oh Wolfie, you don't know how much I agree with you on this and I have tried to allude to it in some of my posts before. But you know, you can't be even slightly critical of the behavior of card collectors or card manufacturers on these threads or you will be immediately called too negative. Wink

Non-sport card collectors have gotten what they asked for, ultra limited, multi-layered cards and sets that can't be completed unless you spend a small fortune. And the average collector keeps buying what he/she can until they get to the point that they are disgusted and then we read the "I'm Leaving" posts, like it is such a noble act to be driven out of a hobby that you spent so much time and effort on. Card collectors did not expect that consequence, but that is exactly what happens when you go too far.

And you are absolutely right, as long as it sells out that is the success formula and the next product will be the same or push the envelope even farther. We are now at the stage of ultra limited, custom made and ordered non-sport sets that are pre-sold directly to collectors and regular card products of major titles that dealers can't put together.

You don't have to quit doing what you enjoy. Find the new product you like or go back and pick up the ton of old stuff. If you don't like the direction of whatever, just don't contribute to it and let others decide for themselves.

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I don't think it was a lot of card collectors they are asking 4 a dozen or so subsets and parallel sets that they could never complete. It was dealers demanding that they get more and more money out of a case

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cline:
I don't think it was a lot of card collectors they are asking 4 a dozen or so subsets and parallel sets that they could never complete. It was dealers demanding that they get more and more money out of a case

That's a bit of a different issue and I won't say that it doesn't have an impact, but dealers don't set the market, collectors do it with their buying power. Dealers take all the risk once they get their product either from the manufacturer or one of the larger distributors. The average dealer is working on a relatively small profit margin and non-sport cards is usually not their big draw.

So while you could certainly make the argument that the whole case(s) incentives and dealer incentives business is tied into dealer compensation, titles and set formulation is driven by what sells and what card collectors seem to want. The gauge of what they want is what they buy and what sells out, which is why I say stop complaining and stop buying.

If you don't like the direction of a product, but you continue to purchase it because you have all the others, you are just ensuring that the direction will continue and go farther. If you don't like how a new title/product turned out, but the typical comment is "I'm just glad they made it" and you buy it, that direction will continue with the next new title/product.

There are many card choices here. There is a ton of old products to fall back on and there are some great new sets of all types, big and small. Support what you like or it will go away on you. If you continue to contribute to what you really don't like, you will only ensure that it keeps getting repeated. One person can only change themselves and the market will respond whenever enough people go in the same direction. And I think that's about it for me waxing philosophically. Wink

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I'm reading all these posts and thinking to myself: when was doing a Trek master set ever easy?!?

I agree that it looks too expensive/difficult to complete for most collectors but then again, I like to see the good in sets. The last set of Ortiz base cards for TOS were phenomenal but I am a big TNG fan so I'm looking forward to a cracking base set (and a second one to come). These art cards are right up my street.

Interested to see what the "Ships of the Line" / "TNG Universe character cards" / "Metal Silhouette & Rendered Art" cards look like.

The Sirtis and Frakes double auto is a nice looking card and the silver series autos for the main crew look very nice.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Some sketches!!

https://www.facebook.com/15409...3593/?type=3&theater

Some more sketches!!

https://www.facebook.com/Ritte...osts/953784131326721

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Salome Jens yay hope she signs for the next ds9 set ,PLEASE rittenhouse

Posts: 157 | Location: ENGLAND | Registered: February 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Checklist has been posted:

http://www.scifihobby.com/prod...cklist.cfm?SetID=323

....and the full list of sketch artists with rarities:

http://www.scifihobby.com/prod...ints/artist-list.cfm

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So there are 50 signers, 3 autos per box, and all I can say is, who are these people? Big Grin

Of course I know a handful, the few regulars and Whoopie, who is again extremely limited, but sometimes less is more.

This is billed as Series 1, why divide it up? Put out one loaded set of the best hits you can put together and maybe even non-Star Trek experts will find some must-haves to chase.

Maybe I'm wrong because I am not invested in just the name alone, but I don't see where older titles that have been mined to death need 2 series per year. I actually think it's counter productive to selling the product.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
series one makes sense as there are 176 episodes vs. 80 Classic Trek episodes.....

Star Trek TOS Portfolio had 80 card ...one per episode......

The Only EL is Whoopi....
Some of the VL Autos will be Very close to EL numbers...............

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Product page for Series Two is up on Rittenhouse's site:

http://www.scifihobby.com/prod...tngportfolioprints2/

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
Sweeet! That's my O'Brien sketch on the very right of the ad!

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post