Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Dexter season 7 & 8

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/5337094876

July 26, 2021, 05:36 PM
Raven
Dexter season 7 & 8
Just called up this old thread because it was the last mention of the old Dexter series cards produced by Breygent.

Now ten years later Dexter New Blood, Season 9 has been made and will be broadcast. I don't expect that any card makers will pick up the license for new cards, so no point in making a new thread, but perhaps it will revive interest in the old Breygent cards. And they were very well made cards indeed.

Speaking for myself, the series did not end well. Michael C. Hall is also saying the series did not end well. So this may be a chance to recapture the better part of the story. Oddly enough it looks like a couple of original actors with dead characters will be popping in, fantasy maybe?

Anyway, its something to try. if you don't mind getting burned again. Wink
July 26, 2021, 06:31 PM
mykdude
If for nothing else I just hope they fix it.

If we could pretend that season 8 of GoT doesn't exist I would be ok with that as well. Wink

July 26, 2021, 06:56 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

If we could pretend that season 8 of GoT doesn't exist I would be ok with that as well. Wink

Yeah, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Lost, Battlestar Galatica, Justified, Tru Blood, Xena and Buffy, just the ones I can think of right now. All great shows in the beginning, ruined by final seasons that could have been better written by any series fan. What is wrong that the show runners don't know how to give viewers a satisfying ending after they have invested all that time? Shake Head
July 27, 2021, 05:24 AM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Yeah, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Lost, Battlestar Galatica, Justified, Tru Blood, Xena and Buffy, just the ones I can think of right now. All great shows in the beginning, ruined by final seasons that could have been better written by any series fan. What is wrong that the show runners don't know how to give viewers a satisfying ending after they have invested all that time? Shake Head

Can't say I was a faithful watcher of Blood, Xena and Buffy but weren't they less of a chronological order show than the others? Of course LOST went sideways, backward, up and down. Big Grin

Seems easier to handle a bad ending if the entire existence of the show doesn't depend on it.

Totally unrelated but I just finished "Behind Her Eyes" on Netflix if you want an ending that is unforgettable and does not suck.

July 27, 2021, 05:28 AM
catskilleagle
I don't know why they had to kill off Trip in the last episode of "Star Trek: Enterprise." Why make it such a downer when it was otherwise a nice good-bye? I just watched that tonight - hadn't seen it since it first aired.

Yeah, I stopped watching "Lost" at some point because it dragged on too long. "The Office" should have ended after Michael left. The show was about him growing as a person. At least it had a good last episode after a couple of seasons of meandering pointlessness.

"Seinfeld" had a bad last episode.

Some shows didn't even get an ending - just a cliffhanger. I kept thinking there'd be some wrap-up to "Lost World." Nope.

"The Mary Tyler Moore Show" had a good ending and so did "The Odd Couple." The best series ending episode ever had to be "Newhart."

I think if the original minds behind the show don't have an idea about the end at the beginning, it's a risk. A few of those people might be gone for whatever reason by the last season. As long as there's still someone with a say who has a feel for how the show started, and where it should go, there's a chance at a good ending. Perfect landings are tough.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

July 27, 2021, 11:12 AM
Raven
quote:
Can't say I was a faithful watcher of Blood, Xena and Buffy but weren't they less of a chronological order show than the others? Of course LOST went sideways, backward, up and down. Big Grin

Seems easier to handle a bad ending if the entire existence of the show doesn't depend on it.

Totally unrelated but I just finished "Behind Her Eyes" on Netflix if you want an ending that is unforgettable and does not suck.

I gave up on Tru Blood after the first season because I could see that it was just going to go extreme. Didn't see more than a few episodes of Xena, but I think it was linear. The Xena ending was really horrible for fans. Buffy I saw all the way through and it was chronological, but the last season was such a let down to me for lots of reasons.

Won't beat a dead horse with the rest, but even a successful show like the Sopranos couldn't quite stick the landing. How many people really wanted a fade to black?

There are so many shows on these streaming channels now, I can't keep up. I even have a backlog on DVD that I have no time to watch. It's amazing haw many are supposed to be wonderful and win all these awards. "Behind Her Eyes" is one I haven't heard about, but I will look it up since you recommend it.

Note to mykdude: Just looked it up. Big Grin Something a bit similar that I liked, no supernatural element, "We Hunt Together".

Back on topic, this reminds me to go back and look at my Dexter cards. I should really try to fill holes. I completed the first season autograph list, but just got bits and pieces for other seasons. As I recall first season Dexter was also the first time that Breygent came out with those small premium box sets that had one base set and inserts and a couple of hits. I really loved that format because it was cheaper and had no waste. Breygent had so many good ideas and well done cards, its a shame they couldn't figure out how to keep going.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
July 28, 2021, 02:40 AM
chesspieceface
"Behind Her Eyes" was solid. The lead actress is the daughter of Bono from U2, and the second-lead male actor, Robert Aramayo, has an autograph card in the GoT set as he played young Ned Stark.

Best show finish in my book is "Six Feet Under", which also starred Michael C. Hall.

Glad "Dexter" is back. One more chance to get it right. Here's my haul from the Breygent line, along with a couple of "eh, good enoughs".

July 28, 2021, 05:52 AM
wolfie
That's a great card the Lauren Velez and i like the Charlotte Rampling one aswell. Thumb Up

July 28, 2021, 05:08 PM
hammer
Very happy to have all of the cast on official Dexter Cards - Great set by Breygent.
September 09, 2021, 05:39 PM
Raven
The trailer for the new Dexter has dropped and it looks very similar to the first season storyline that was arguably the one that got people hooked. Instead of working for the police, his girlfriend is police. There is a local killer running around and grown son is back. Should be good, at least for one year. Big Grin
October 04, 2021, 01:36 AM
mykdude
Yvonne sold for $700

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20361...rksid=p2047675.l2557

October 04, 2021, 02:15 AM
Raven
That's a lot and you can't even blame grading, but one went cheaper 3 days earlier. Seems like anything goes now. I mean its a good card to have, she's a better actress than most, but I no longer know how I can even draw my own lines with some of these autograph cards. Its hard for me to justify anyone over $200, forget about over $500.
October 04, 2021, 04:46 AM
hammer
quote:
Yvonne sold for $700

That's a nice price. Same seller has a second one up for same price
October 04, 2021, 11:59 AM
mykdude
And still John Lithgow sells for $50. Weird hobby.

October 04, 2021, 12:23 PM
wolfie
I've never even heard of Yvonne but then again she probably has never heard of me so fair's fair.

October 04, 2021, 01:07 PM
Raven
quote:
And still John Lithgow sells for $50. Weird hobby.

Its all driven by Pop Culture demand, simple as that. No point in comparing anybody's autograph card. Jane Alexander's only certified autograph card can be had for $12 and a few of Megan Fox's can still cost you hundreds of dollars. Compare that! Big Grin
October 04, 2021, 01:23 PM
chesspieceface
quote:
Yvonne sold for $700

Well, gee, I wonder if that deep-pocketed buyer wants the other one? (which I have, see above Smokin')

She had plenty of fans from the "Chuck" series on NBC, and has delivered some teriffic acting (as a decidedly non-glamorous character) on Hulu's "The Handmaid's Tale" for the last 5 years or so. I guess that and her Dexter work adds up to the 7 hundo.

October 05, 2021, 04:53 AM
ravenheart
quote:
Yvonne sold for $700

Still the only autograph in the entire series I don't have Frown
April 13, 2022, 03:18 PM
Raven
Bumping up the old thread because it was the only place that Dexter New Blood was mentioned.

No cards of course, but it's out on DVD now. Did anyone see it? Did it wrap up any better or are we set up for another one?

The autograph cards for Hall seem to have taken a jump since I last looked. For a while there they were only in the $70 range.
April 13, 2022, 09:32 PM
webjon
We saw New Blood.

I thought it started off really strong, but after a while several coincidences and significant plot holes reminded me of the writing in the original series -- but no where near as bad as the original dumpster fire finale.

Overall it was enjoyable Michael C Hall is fantastic and Dexter is a great character.

As far as a set up for another one I think they said this would be the last Dexter series, but who knows.