Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Cryptozoic's New Release Schedule
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryptozoic's New Release Schedule
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
Posted on GTS' public website and referenced on Facebook, so it's not some state secret...
quote:
The Big Bang Theory Trading Cards Season 5 and Binder Set – Releasing Late October / early November, 2013
Adventure Time Dog Tags – Releasing November, 2013
Adventure Time Playpaks – Releasing November, 2013
Archer Trading Cards Seasons 1-4 and Binder Set – Releasing December, 2013
Revenge Trading Cards Season 1 – Releasing December, 2013
The Vampire Diaries Trading Cards Season 3 – Releasing January, 2014
Sons of Anarchy Trading Cards Seasons 1-3 – Releasing January, 2014
Downton Abbey Trading Cards Seasons 1 & 2 – Releasing Q1, 2014
The Walking Dead Trading Cards Season 3 Part 1 Hobby - Releasing Q1, 2014
The Walking Dead Trading Cards Season 3 Part 1 Retail Releasing Q1, 2014
Once Upon a Time Season 1 Trading Cards - Releasing Q1, 2014
Breaking Bad Trading Cards Seasons 1-5 – Releases Q1 2014
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Trading Cards – Releasing Q1, 2014
Fringe Trading Cards Season 5 – Releasing Q2, 2014

Missing from this is both Ender's Game and Pacific Rim, both of which had autograph signers listed as contracted on Miranda's blog post.

Now, if you look closely, there are 8 First Quarter 2014 releases. The quarter has 12 weeks. That's more than 1 release every 2 weeks.

Even if they CAN pull off that schedule, I'm not sure they SHOULD. Both dealers and collectors need time to recoup funds and absorb what was just released. Many of the 'marginal' releases will get ignored and will end up on the discount shelf.

I'll grab a beer, this is going to get interesting... Thumb Up

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
Too bad that The Hobbit is 2014 now, I told my wife I wanted a box for Xmas Frown Now I might not be able to pick up any at all, it might be coming too close to the Star Trek Into Darkness set.

I would have been interested in Fringe, but out of the 2 boxes of seasons 1/2 and 3 boxes of seasons 3/4, I managed to pull three Ryan McDonald autographs. I am not a fan of their collation, and (no offense to Mr. McDonald) I am not able to spend $60 to pull a $4 autograph anymore.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jason00,

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
I am only interested in 5 of those sets and am glad to have the time to save up some money. I have a limited supply of "fun" money per paycheck with 2 kids and a mortgage which means I have to budget months ahead to buy all the sets I want. I also need to budget money to spend at the Chicago Non-sports Card show which will be during the beginning of Q2. Big Grin

If Cryptozoic actually does start releasing products every two weeks,it is probable that I will end up buying less of each set I'm interested in.

I do love that they are thinking big!

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ScoobyDew79
posted Hide Post
I wasn't paying that close of attention when Inkworks went under, but wasn't part of their problem releasing sets for movies/shows that didn't do well? Cryptozoic has already released a number of sets that are selling well below what I assume cost was.

I don't blame them for wanting to make lots of sets and earn lots of money (especially with the death of the WoW TCG, though I'm not sure how much that was making them since they ended it). But producing so many sets, many of which appear to me to have a limited consumer base seems risky.

Obviously I don't have any insight into their inner workings. And I'm not trying to be Debbie downer here. I just want them to stay around and keep producing the stuff that I really enjoy!

Posts: 43 | Location: Oxford, Mississippi | Registered: December 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of the things that hurt Inkworks was definitely a number of licenses they picked up that ended up under performing. Sadly, it seems if they would have been able to hold on just a little bit longer to produce more Twilight sets they may have been ok... speculation, of course.

Regardless. . .

Crypto has 2 things theoretically going for them in this instance. . . First they are first and foremost a gaming company. . . Note the 'games' tab is the first tab on their website. . . also click that games tab and notice they are producing games for Walking Dead, Batman, Big Bang, Ender's Game, The Hobbit, DC Comics, Castle etc. . . so they have multiple income streams for a license (which could also be a good thing when negotiating for a license.

Also, the way their distribution seems to be working means that from Crypto's standpoint every release is seemingly a sell out. . . As long as they keep producing block buster sets like Walking Dead and Big Bang theory the dealers will continue to buy up sets they can't sell well as loss leaders so they can get good allocations on the winners. . .

The downside is that it's sort of a high risk game. . . as soon as there isn't a Walking Dead or Big Bang driving sales of their other products they may stop selling out at the distribution level as the dealers won't buy sets like Alphas anymore . . . My gut feeling is that a lot of players in this game on the buying side are flippers and speculators who will be very quick to move on as soon as they aren't making money. . . That's why it's particularly distressing to me to hear that regular non-sport card dealers are having trouble buying certain product. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Count me in as one of the small dealers who will be buying considerably less of their products than I would have before they changed their distribution policy. I refuse to take a bath on products that I know will not sell just to get the "big 2".

The only ones that I will likely get are Downton Abbey, Once Upon a Time and possibly The Hobbit.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Release calendar from Blowout.

03/31/2014 Downton Abbey Seasons 1-2 Trading Cards (Cryptozoic) - Box
03/31/2014 Downton Abbey Seasons 1-2 Trading Cards (Cryptozoic)-12 Box Case
03/31/2014 Once Upon A Time Season 1 T/C (Cryptozoic) - 12 Box Case
03/31/2014 Once Upon A Time Season 1 T/C (Cryptozoic) - Box
03/31/2014 The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey T/C (Cryptozoic) - 12 Box Case
03/31/2014 The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey T/C (Cryptozoic) - Box
03/31/2014 The Walking Dead Season 3: Part 1 (Cryptozoic) 12 Box Case
03/31/2014 The Walking Dead Season 3: Part 1 (Cryptozoic) Box
Interesting that walking dead is released on the same day as these other ones.

Posts: 49 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: July 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Surely 4 sets wouldn't be released on the same day

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
All they did is take everything that says Q1 and put the very last day of the quarter on it.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If history is any judge, ain't gonna happen. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Aren't most of their products delayed anyway?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post