Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Legendary Lovecraft (Monsterwax) release date
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legendary Lovecraft (Monsterwax) release date
 Login/Join

Picture of monsterwax
posted
Just a note to let everyone know we’re running a month behind on "Legendary Lovecraft" -- a beautiful (yet, horrifying) art series celebrating the best of H.P. Lovecraft. We had announced in NSU a November release, but the series has grown because we keep adding more “goodies” and even more artists to our original sketch crew. It’s well worth the wait, though. All the base artwork is by Ricardo Garijo Jr,, and he’s done a phenomenal job. It’s all new art and created especially for this series. Check it out and you’ll see why we’re so excited.

They should be out before Christmas. When you get it, you’ll see why we spent the extra time and money to pull out all the stops. This has turned into one incredible series!

Content: (note the insert rates—the best in the biz!)

66 base cards and--
6 fright foils (by Chrissy Spallone, 1 per 4 packs).
3 sacred souvenir cards (1 per 8 packs)
6 different promos (1 per 12 packs)
Credit Card (1 per 24 packs)
Lovecraft Letters card (1 per 24 packs)
Lenticular “Necronomicard” (1 per 24 packs),
Prismatic “Necronomicard” (1 per 48 packs).
An actual printing plate (1 per 48 packs)
Original Artist sketch card (1 per 24 packs)
Plus several other surprises yet to be announced.
And of course, Ghoul Gum, the gum so devilishly delightful, even the dead crave it!
(1 per pack)

We’re announcing the various sketch card artists an showing their samples on facebook (as they arrive) at:

https://www.facebook.com/pages...413305031099?fref=ts

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Here's one of the upcoming NSU promos...

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
it all sounds fantastic, looking forward to it, hope it goes well for you. Thumb Up

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Kurt, there are 6 promos ?

3 NSU, 1 Wrapper, 1 Philly show

What is the sixth one ?

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Hey David, the 6th promo doesn't say Legendary Lovecraft on it, but it has a Lovecraft (tomb) image on the front, plus the same reverse format and artist (Ricardo Garijo, jr.). It was also issued at the same time the Legendary Lovecraft Promo 1 was issued at Philly. Only about a hundred were released, so we're putting another 166 more in the boxes.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks ! I have that one. Just need the NSU promos

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
One advantage to the later release date was that several new sketch artists were able to join in the fun. The latest is Mark Finneral, who did some incredible images for Topps' Mars Attacks Invasion. (The prices they're fetching on eBay are astounding.) In fact, some of his fans contacted me and requested he be included since he was a natural for this series... and I very eagerly agreed!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: monsterwax,

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, those Finneral sketches look great, Kurt! Please make sure that one of them are inserted into MY boxes. Big Grin

Seriously, great stuff and I've been looking forward to this release for awhile now. Once again, the box content looks fantastic and I'm really looking forward to opening them! Thumb Up

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man! I wish I had known abou this set. I love to draw me some Lovecraft

Posts: 32 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Here are some Lovecraft sketch cards from Shawn Conn: The Hastur, the Shantak, and a ghoul.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Loving The Ghoul. Thumb Up

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Monsterwax is pleased to announce another stellar artist contributing original art cards to Legendary Lovecraft: Jason Crosby will be joining our gang of monster makers. Here are some of his cards for Topps' Mars Attacks Invasion. Welcome aboard, Jason!

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Great addition, Kurt! His work is really good.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These look great, Kurt! Also glad to see that Shawn is back on this set - I liked his Spook Show cards. Thumb Up

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Winter time is a traditional time for telling ghost stories (just like they sing in "It's the most wonderful time of the year" song). So we're gonna bring back that horror habit at Monsterwax with Lovecraft's Chill-of-the-Winter-Week Club. Each week, we'll link to a chilling tale by the master of thrills and chills, along with one of the Lovecraft cards (or original sketches) from the series. Lovecraft's stories are short, atmospheric, and very elegant. If you haven't read him before, you owe it to yourself to find out why (instead of fading) his readership has dramatically GROWN over time.

This week's story is THE SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH. It's a great read, and if the winter air doesn't give you goosebumps, this story will:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/wri...xts/fiction/soi.aspx

Then make a point to leave some comments on our facebook entry discussing the story, so we can compare notes. (Yeah, I know, expecting people to take time to read and comment on a story is like expecting them to exercise. They know they SHOULD, but most never get around to it. But what the heck? If we don't try to have a little fun, then we're contributing to NOT having fun, and where's the fun in that?)

So here's the facebook link:
https://www.facebook.com/pages...rwax/183413305031099

No purchase necessary or expected! We just want your thoughts on the story. We're gonna try to highlight a different tale every week through the Winter. Try it and see how addictive it is, ESPECIALLY if you haven't read Lovecraft before!

(Below: A original artist sketch card from Chrissy Spallone of the bus driver in the story. Creepy!)

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monsterwax:

Then make a point to leave some comments on our facebook entry discussing the story, so we can compare notes. (Yeah, I know, expecting people to take time to read and comment on a story is like expecting them to exercise. They know they SHOULD, but most never get around to it. But what the heck? If we don't try to have a little fun, then we're contributing to NOT having fun, and where's the fun in that?

Gee, I don't know, it sounds a little fishy to me. Wink Big Grin Wavey

Posts: 10408 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Heh-heh, it's fishy alright. If folks want to comment here, that's good too. (I can copy and paste them to the facebook page.) There is an added enjoyment when people share a common experience at the same time. Remember back before cable, there were certain shows that EVERYONE watched, then we would go to school and talk about it? That's gone now. Cable, netflix, Youtube, you name it-- everyone is on a different channel and wavelength these days. It's a real loss that the younger generations will never know or appreciate.

Of course, our parents were probably saying that about us and various old radio shows, and their grandparents said similar things about them and certain books. Be that as it may, I was struck how fun these stories were because they are not only great as stand alone works, but there are all sorts of "easter eggs," unusual characters, and running themes that pop up again and again. So it will be fun to see what people notice (if they will participate (the BIG "if")) because I'm sure I missed a lot. That's one of the neat things about Lovecraft: the more you read him, the more you notice and enjoy his stories.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Its actually been a long time since I re-read Lovecraft, its I great idea to introduce the stories to people who may not have done so.

Here's another one . . .

If you lived in Innsmouth and liked a nice flounder fillet, would that make you a cannibal? Big Grin

Probably. Eek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10408 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I hear you can always tell a guy from that town because he usually has a hook Innsmouth. Twak

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
For those who haven't read it yet, this is a story about a traveler who visits a New England fishing village called Innsmouth. It is very atmospheric, as the town is run down and decaying, and the people who live there seem mongoloid. The narrator speaks with the town drunk and hears an incredible story about the dark, forbidden history of the town, and he laughs it off... at first. But others see the drunk speaking the writer, and when the writer tries to leave town, the bus ominously "breaks down." He's forced to spend the night and he quickly discovers the natives are very determined to keep certain "rumors" from reaching the outside world.

It's a gripping story, read it and see!
The Shadow Over Innsmouth