Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Chrome JEDI VS. SITH
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Chrome JEDI VS. SITH
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted
Topps just Showed These...........

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a few packs from an open box and pulled the Amy Allen autograph, 35/50.

Having seen these cards only online, I was surprised to find that the autograph appears to be on the card. If there is a sticker below the chrome finish I sure don't feel it or see it. The dual autographs in this product are signed on stickers because that is clear in the posted photos.

The other thing I noticed is that the chrome finish is very prone to leaving finger prints.

I have heard that there will be chrome sketches in upcoming Star Wars. Maybe the process will be done the same as these autograph cards and the stickers don't work with it. Anyone know?

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Topps knows that collectors prefer on card autographs.

The Chrome are indeed on-card. They use the stickers for the multiple signed cards because they say the logistics are such that they can't dual/triple signed cards on-card.

This set has received a lot of flack, but honestly it's a beautiful set and has a pretty good spread of autographers.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The cards are very pretty indeed, but there is a lot of Star Wars cards now and they are at the point where a card collector who is not well versed in every aspect of the multi-faceted universe is probably lost.

The Amy Allen autograph is a refractor numbered 35/50, so it's a pretty limited card. Yet I have no idea who Amy Allen is and I did not remember the character, so it's not a big deal to me. A quick google search got me the information that she was part of the crew when picked for the role and the minor character died in episode 3.

This is the problem with a lot of the Star Wars signers. If it's not that core group of well-known actors that you probably won't pull, you are getting some unknown guy or girl in paint and latex. It's not a big draw, which is exactly why fans are so hot for The Force Awakens star autographs. They are new blood and the card sets need it. However they are not going to show up in Journey to the Force, so collectors will have to wait a bit longer.

As for the on-card autographs, I think they are great and I don't know why Topps wouldn't go out of it's way to publicize it. We have to live with the sticker autographs, but I don't think any autograph collector prefers them over the signed card. Maybe it's mentioned somewhere in the threads, but I didn't catch it. I don't know, the info on these Star Wars sets are all over the place, in box breaks and in this section. Some of the particular positives of these sets are bound to be overlooked.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
This is the problem with a lot of the Star Wars signers. If it's not that core group of well-known actors that you probably won't pull, you are getting some unknown guy or girl in paint and latex.

This is EVERY card set. I don't think it's really a problem, though. If sets were all meat and no potatoes we'd be paying 3x what we pay now for sealed boxes/cases.

Personally when new SW sets come out I'm more excited for the secondary characters who've never signed before. I wouldn't complain pulling a Hamill, but his inclusion in every set isn't a draw for me.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:
This is the problem with a lot of the Star Wars signers. If it's not that core group of well-known actors that you probably won't pull, you are getting some unknown guy or girl in paint and latex.

This is EVERY card set. I don't think it's really a problem, though. If sets were all meat and no potatoes we'd be paying 3x what we pay now for sealed boxes/cases.

Personally when new SW sets come out I'm more excited for the secondary characters who've never signed before. I wouldn't complain pulling a Hamill, but his inclusion in every set isn't a draw for me.

I know what you're saying Ted, but you are obviously one of those fans who is well versed in the multi-faceted Star Wars universe. I'm not, I'm just an autograph card collector at heart. Wink

I've never taken a survey, maybe I should, but as an example, I can generally take a Star Trek set and find 5 - 7 autographs of non-regulars and non-stars that I know from other work and I wind up buying the signatures for that reason.

With the Star Wars sets, I can look down the signature list and know none of the secondary actors, or voice actors, or people associated with the comics or whatever. I really never expect to pull a Fisher or a Hamill or a Ford or a Jones, and I never have, so those supporting people are the ones I do get when I buy a box. Some of them are not even actors, I once pulled George Lucas' son's autograph card out of a box. Do you wonder why I think it is more a problem for me with Star Wars? Big Grin

If you love everything Star Wars, then you have no problem. Wink

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:

I know what you're saying Ted, but you are obviously one of those fans who is well versed in the multi-faceted Star Wars universe. I'm not, I'm just an autograph card collector at heart. Wink

I've never taken a survey, maybe I should, but as an example, I can generally take a Star Trek set and find 5 - 7 autographs of non-regulars and non-stars that I know from other work and I wind up buying the signatures for that reason.

With the Star Wars sets, I can look down the signature list and know none of the secondary actors, or voice actors, or people associated with the comics or whatever. I really never expect to pull a Fisher or a Hamill or a Ford or a Jones, and I never have, so those supporting people are the ones I do get when I buy a box. Some of them are not even actors, I once pulled George Lucas' son's autograph card out of a box. Do you wonder why I think it is more a problem for me with Star Wars? Big Grin

If you love everything Star Wars, then you have no problem. Wink

Yup. Smile

Lucas' son isn't an actor, but he was still in the movie. Actually in the prequels a lot of the production crew had cameos - case in point Nick Gillard in this set.

I was going to cite Star Trek and James Bond. All of those sets are teeming with characters who I have absolutely NO idea who they are. But some of those sets have bit actors who also appeared in Star Wars, and I do chase those. Actually some of these cards that DO have autos also in the Star Wars sets I'll chase the others because they're generally cheaper. Sure, I'd prefer them pictured as the Star Wars character, but if I can get the auto for 1/2 the price then I know where I'm shopping! Big Grin

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post