Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    BOOTLEG FLASH GORDON TEST SET
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BOOTLEG FLASH GORDON TEST SET
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
Looks like someone reprinted the Topps Flash Gordon test set wrappers and box. This is cool to look at but I see no difference between these and the real deal. It is mentioned in the post that these are reprints but who knows what is going to happen to them once they are sold. SO BE CAREFUL IF YOU START SEEING THESE FOR SALE. Someone may think they are genuine. Should this be reported to E-BAY? 121059615417

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
I don't like this either but I've looked at repro display boxes for many popular 50s/60s card sets being sold on that site. I've seen Elvis, Casper, Addams Family, Green Hornet, Batman, Gilligans Island, King Kong Donruss, etc etc

It usually states that the display box is a reproduction in the description but not always in the item heading. Many of them sell to collectors that can't afford (or even find) an original version so they settle for these fake items.

Agree with you that folks need to be careful when laying down money for these and many other collectibles that are subject to counterfeiting and/or reproductions.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANK AMICO:
Looks like someone reprinted the Topps Flash Gordon test set wrappers and box. This is cool to look at but I see no difference between these and the real deal. It is mentioned in the post that these are reprints but who knows what is going to happen to them once they are sold. SO BE CAREFUL IF YOU START SEEING THESE FOR SALE. Someone may think they are genuine. Should this be reported to E-BAY? 121059615417

If you want to report it, you need to contact King Features who holds the Flash Gordon license and not Ebay. Ebay won't usually do anything unless it's reported by whoever owns the rights.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I've picked up a couple of repro boxes. They look like vintage boxes, but the materials used are much different. As always, buyer beware, but I see nothing wrong with doing this.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The person who makes the Flash Gordon boxes makes them so they dont open. No perferation. He makes all his boxes that way....easy to tell its a repo.

Posts: 1 | Location: Goose Creek | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post