Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Spiderman Original Animated Series Mini-Set from Rittenhouse Archives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spiderman Original Animated Series Mini-Set from Rittenhouse Archives
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
This came across my email earlier...

quote:
Rittenhouse Archives is pleased to offer this 9-card series of lenticular/motion cards based on the original Spider-Man animated cartoon, which made its debut in 1967. It was for this original series that the famous Spider-Man theme song was recorded.

With each set of 9 lenticular cards, you will also received one of two bonus autograph cards signed by Paul Soles. There are 2 different autograph card variatons: one for Spider-Man and one for Peter Parker. For every 2 sets ordered, you will be guaranteed to receive both variations signed by Paul Soles.

MSRP is $99.99, Friendly Dealers will probably have them closer to $89.00.

I never saw this one coming. Is there any interest in a 1967 animated show?

Will anyone care? Please tell me, I need the feedback...

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Well, the series remains popular on DVD and was lovingly bootlegged for decades on video before the DVD set was finally issued around 10 years ago.

When I think of the show, though, Stan Lee the narrator and even Ralph Bakshi the famed animator who worked on the series would have been excellent autograph choices, and would certainly have sold sets had one or the other, but especially both been involved. Lee may be too expensive for a limited release like this and Bakshi doesn't mention his work on the show at all in his autobiography, so he may not remember it well, and it's easy to see why no autographs from those two, but wow, either or both would have been great for this set.

Soles, the voice actor, is rightly and very well remembered for his work on that show and really captured Spidey's personality, but I don't know if his autograph and 9 cards (even superb effect lenticulars as I'm sure these would be) would merit a ton of interest in the set. I would hope I'm wrong, but I'm a fan of the show and I'm not sure I'd buy a set at that price. Closer to $50 and I'm pretty sure I'd want one.

Posts: 3329 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I heard of this one a week or so ago. I missed the key word 'set'. I love lenticulars, but this is a bit spendy for my taste.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
Lenticulars are cool but the price is a bit high for me.

Check out my blog at Card Crazy!

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
9 lenticular cards and an autograph from someone I've never heard of (until now) for only $99?

I have a fairly large lenticular card/poster/anything collection, but in this economy, $99 is unacceptable for such a small "set".

I suspect Rittenhouse got the 1967 license along with the Amazing SpiderMan 2012 film license. Even at $50 it's still WAY overpriced for what you get. Big expense, little value.

Too bad.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
This definitely seems overpriced. If it was a Stan Lee autograph, $99 would be good.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very strange!

The early Spider-man cartoons were popular as memes, so perhaps that's where the idea came from?

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mintoncard:
9 lenticular cards and an autograph from someone I've never heard of (until now) for only $99?

I have a fairly large lenticular card/poster/anything collection, but in this economy, $99 is unacceptable for such a small "set".

I suspect Rittenhouse got the 1967 license along with the Amazing SpiderMan 2012 film license. Even at $50 it's still WAY overpriced for what you get. Big expense, little value.

Too bad.

I agree. I loved that cartoon as a kid, but didn't know who Paul Soles until I looked him up last night. Lenticulars have been around for decades and are used for restaurant and product promotions all the time. So I doubt they're expensive to produce. I understand the licensing costs, but this seems a bit extreme.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anybody buy this set? I like the design of the Spiderman autograph, but the price is still too high. How much longer until we see this product dumped at $50 or less?

Posts: 283 | Location: San Jose, USA | Registered: September 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I don't see much on Ebay. And of what I see the price is too high IMO. So I wonder if it was bought up right away by collectors, or if dealers can't get rid of it, but not willing to take a loss yet.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I sold several sets.

But didn't get any for backstock. The price point is too high for that.

But there were people that wanted the set and were willing to pay (less than RA's price) for them.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post