Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    The X-Files (Rittenhouse Archives)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The X-Files (Rittenhouse Archives)
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
SEASONS 10 & 11 TRADING CARDS CASE INCENTIVES:
• 6-Case Incentive - Dual Autograph Card Signed by William B. Davis (Cigarette Smoking Man) and Jeremy Schuetze (Younger Cigarette Smoking Man)
• 9-Case Incentive -
• Dual Autograph Card Signed by David Duchovny (Fox Mulder) and Gillian Anderson (Dana Scully) First-Ever On-Card, Dual Autograph Card Signed by These Two Iconic Stars!
• 18-Case Incentive - The X-Files Seasons 10 & 11 Trading Cards Archive Box, including a set of 4 color printing plates used to make the front of one base set card and more!

So, the dual exists but only as an incentive. Still something special?

Ed

Yes it is still something special, but it goes for at least the cost of 9 cases to distributor/dealers and then for however much they can get from a buyer. This appears to be the pattern that RA has been following for a long time now. The best autographs or hits are incentives to prop up the dealer sales. Recently RA has also leaned heavily on the Scarce designation, more so because of the multiple card designs for the same signer I think. Regardless short printed autographs abound in these sets, but at least these are pack inserted.

Here's a question for you Ed, or for any other higher volume sellers reading this. Is it possible that these high demand incentive cards might not serve sellers better if they were in the product? Is it possible that if there were no Archives Boxes, and all autograph cards were pack inserted, it might not serve you better to sell product?

I mean that in the sense that more collectors would take a chance and pick up boxes. I mean that in the sense that boxes could actually be sold for higher than SRP right from the start. Maybe a lot higher. I mean that in the sense that sport card gamblers and flippers and speculators not necessarily interested in the title might buy in anyway, thus expanding the market. How many small dealers who can't afford 6, 9, 18 case orders would benefit from selling a product that actually has all the best autographs and hits in the boxes?

Just curious . . .

BTW, the dual for the 6 case incentive really isn't worth it IMHO. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
SEASONS 10 & 11 TRADING CARDS CASE INCENTIVES:
• 6-Case Incentive - Dual Autograph Card Signed by William B. Davis (Cigarette Smoking Man) and Jeremy Schuetze (Younger Cigarette Smoking Man)
• 9-Case Incentive -
• Dual Autograph Card Signed by David Duchovny (Fox Mulder) and Gillian Anderson (Dana Scully) First-Ever On-Card, Dual Autograph Card Signed by These Two Iconic Stars!
• 18-Case Incentive - The X-Files Seasons 10 & 11 Trading Cards Archive Box, including a set of 4 color printing plates used to make the front of one base set card and more!

So, the dual exists but only as an incentive. Still something special?

Ed

Yes it is still something special, but it goes for at least the cost of 9 cases to distributor/dealers and then for however much they can get from a buyer. This appears to be the pattern that RA has been following for a long time now. The best autographs or hits are incentives to prop up the dealer sales. Recently RA has also leaned heavily on the Scarce designation, more so because of the multiple card designs for the same signer I think. Regardless short printed autographs abound in these sets, but at least these are pack inserted.

Here's a question for you Ed, or for any other higher volume sellers reading this. Is it possible that these high demand incentive cards might not serve sellers better if they were in the product? Is it possible that if there were no Archives Boxes, and all autograph cards were pack inserted, it might not serve you better to sell product?

I mean that in the sense that more collectors would take a chance and pick up boxes. I mean that in the sense that boxes could actually be sold for higher than SRP right from the start. Maybe a lot higher. I mean that in the sense that sport card gamblers and flippers and speculators not necessarily interested in the title might buy in anyway, thus expanding the market. How many small dealers who can't afford 6, 9, 18 case orders would benefit from selling a product that actually has all the best autographs and hits in the boxes?

Just curious . . .

BTW, the dual for the 6 case incentive really isn't worth it IMHO. Wink

I'd be curious to hear the dealer opinion on this. They afterall know better how well sealed boxes sell. I wouldn't pay significantly or even a little more just for long odds at possibly pulling one or two extra cards.

I definitely don't agree that the incentives are always the 'best' cards. 'Best' is very subjective.

Can't say I've ever been too bothered about certain cards being incentives and really don't see why some get collectors get themselves so worked up about it. Is it great to have the chance to pull all the cool cards from packs? OBVIOUSLY. But the odds are so long that probably wouldn't happen anyway.

I recently bought the 9-case Christopher Lee Auto card from Bond Archives Final for about the price of 3 boxes. I feel I payed a fair price and didn't need to spend money on 9-cases to get it.
...would I have pulled that exact card (my most wanted from that set) from only 3 boxes if it were pack inserted?
...would I have pulled something as good/got my 'money's worth' if I had bought 3 boxes instead?
...would I have had to pay less to get this card had it been seeded in boxes?

On the latter I'm not so sure. The buyers set the market(price) for the most part, no matter how the card is released. Plus, incentives actually seem to hit the market rather than possibly languish in unopened boxes.

As a side-note I remember when Inworks released their X-Files: I Want To Believe set and the backlash on these very boards. Not only were people mad at the move to silver sticker autos but they were FURIOUS the Duchovny & Anderson dual auto was a 10-case incentive.

This one from RA looks much better but not a massive fan of the picture used tbh. Still, arguably up there in the best non-sport dual auto ever category?

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Now the main details are out this looks to be a nice set.

- Good to see Gillain on board. A good signer for Inworks, I wasn't too worried she wouldn't sign!
- Worth saying again: Duchovny & Anderson included as on-card autos in the same set as singles and dual, a huge coup.
- Near enough all the main new faces included except Robbie Amell.
- Very disappointed to see no Mitch Pileggi or Anabeth Gish.
- I need a Guy Mann (Rhys Darby) autograph.
- Interested to hear who make up the rest of the auto list.
- Like fashion, parallels have come around again: a throwback to X-Files sets of old, though I won't chase them.
- Chase cards sound decent/relevant.
- The cards shown so far look nice.

My only gripe is that a better picture of Anderson definitely could have been found. The matching publicity pic to go with Duchnovny for starters but oh well.

Also, I do wonder if RA will pull a Twin Peaks on us and reveal a 'classic' auto style in a future set maybe? I enjoyed Seasons 10 & 11 but but whether the single autos, or dual Mulder & Scully card, I'd favour cards featuring images from the original run. So buy now or wait for things that may never materialise?

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Have just had a look at Rittenhouse's revamped site, and under Products > Current Licences > X-Files, the product page shows this alternate Duchovny autograph card with a Season 5 publicity still:

Like Twin Peaks, looks like we will be getting classic images as well! But it is nice to see the card style is the same as the autos for the new series signers. Looking forward to seeing the classic Scully pic and I hope we have some signers from the original run. You'd think there would have to be at 3 autos per box?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
... Recently RA has also leaned heavily on the Scarce designation, more so because of the multiple card designs for the same signer I think.

The Archive box will have either an Anderson OR Duchovny autograph card. No mention of other autograph exclusions, so it suggests there are few 'Scarce' cards.

https://www.scifihobby.com/pro...cs/abox-contents.jpg

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
... Recently RA has also leaned heavily on the Scarce designation, more so because of the multiple card designs for the same signer I think.

The Archive box will have either an Anderson OR Duchovny autograph card. No mention of other autograph exclusions, so it suggests there are few 'Scarce' cards.

I made that comment based on the whooping 13 Scarce autograph cards, most of which were dual signatures, that RA included in the Twin Peaks product. So far this X-Files checklist doesn't seem to be that large and the signers aren't nearly as interesting as those in Twin Peaks. This isn't complete and could change of course, but apart from the stars Anderson and Duchovny, and maybe Osment and Hersey as new blood, I'm not seeing any other signers that should even be EL. It's not a strong line up yet.

The Archive Box will also be minus the dual 6 and 9 incentive cards, which isn't unusual. Getting only a Duchovny OR Anderson hurts a lot in terms of value.

It will have six exclusive autograph variation cards of Keith Arbuthnot, Dean Haglund, Haley Joel Osment, Alex Daikun, Rhys Darby and Karin Konoval. These 6 cards will undoubtedly be Scarce too, as they are only in the Archive Boxes. What it doesn't really say is whether or not you will also get the regular autographs of these signers. Remember that RA has switched out the regular autos for exclusives in Archives for other products already, so don't assume now that they are all in this one either.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:

I made that comment based on the whooping 13 Scarce autograph cards, most of which were dual signatures, that RA included in the Twin Peaks product. So far this X-Files checklist doesn't seem to be that large and the signers aren't nearly as interesting as those in Twin Peaks. This isn't complete and could change of course, but apart from the stars Anderson and Duchovny, and maybe Osment and Hersey as new blood, I'm not seeing any other signers that should even be EL. It's not a strong line up yet.

The Archive Box will also be minus the dual 6 and 9 incentive cards, which isn't unusual. Getting only a Duchovny OR Anderson hurts a lot in terms of value.

It will have six exclusive autograph variation cards of Keith Arbuthnot, Dean Haglund, Haley Joel Osment, Alex Daikun, Rhys Darby and Karin Konoval. These 6 cards will undoubtedly be Scarce too, as they are only in the Archive Boxes. What it doesn't really say is whether or not you will also get the regular autographs of these signers. Remember that RA has switched out the regular autos for exclusives in Archives for other products already, so don't assume now that they are all in this one either.

I take it as the six autograph variation cards have regular versions available in the packs. Almost all of those names were in the initial solicitation when they were still saying that the archive box contents were not set yet.

I am banking on it with an 18 case group break! The 9 case incentive dual autograph is going to be a huge card so I felt that going for the 18 cases to get two of those plus the 3 six case incentives and everything that will come out of the cases and the archive boxes seemed like it was worth the chance. The bronze metal cards in the archive box will be good also.

When the break fills and I start opening I will try and keep an update here on all the goodies that get pulled.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
32 autographs, 2 Scarce and 1 Extremely Limited

quote:
David Duchovny as Agent Fox Mulder Scarce
Gillian Anderson as Agent Dana Scully Scarce
William B. Davis as Carl Gerhard Bush Spender (Extremely Limited)
Keith Arbuthnot as Ghouli (Very Limited)
Keith Arbuthnot as Mr. Chuckleteeth (Very Limited)
Haley Joel Osment as Davey James (Very Limited)
Stuart Margolin as Dr. They (Very Limited)
Dean Haglund as Digital Richard "Ringo" Langly (Very Limited)
Lauren Ambrose as Special Agent Elizabeth Einstein (Very Limited)
Alex Daikun as Motel Manager (Limited)
Karin Konoval as Judy Poundstone (Limited)
Rhys Darby as Guy Mann (human) (Limited)
Jeremy Schuetze as Young Cigarette Smoking Man (Limited)
Jere Burns as Dr. Randolph Luvenis (Limited)
Barbara Hershey as Erika Price (Limited)
Miles Robbins as William (Limited)
Brian Huskey as Reggie Murgatroyd (Limited)
Doug Savant as Augustus Goldman (Limited)
Roger Cross as Officer Wentwort
Megan Peta Hill as Molly
Jonathan Whitesell as Kyle Gilligan
Andre Roshkov as Commander Al
Sarah Jeffery as Brianna Stapleton
John DeSantis as Band-Aid Nose Man
Fiona Vroom as Barbara Beaumont
Carlena Britch as Juliet 'La Avispa' Bocanegra
Ryan Beil as The Were-Lizard
AC Peterson as Mr. Y
Aliza Vellani as Nurse Sandeep
Annet Mahendru as Sveta
Cory Rempel as Young Walter Skinner
Madeleine Arthur as Sarah Turner

Collation is going to be key, but there's going to be a LOT of the 'standard' autographs in every case I'm afraid.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After some really undervalued cases of GoT, I just felt this product would be the same. That is a very poor autograph list with the 2 scarce cards being so overpriced by dealers just to get their money back.

I think that RA would have been better Premium packing this product or doing it in the same format as Buffy. To top it all they have the UD product coming out in January that will cut the legs from the after sales of this release making it even harder for dealers to make up losses if they don't have Mulder or Scully autographs to sell.

Posts: 13 | Location: uk | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Well i am an x-files fan but i think i must have been watching with my eyes shut because i don't know any of the people on the list except the top 3. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Haley Joel Osment was the kid in THE SIXTH SENSE, but he sure don't look like he used to.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gk1964:
I think that RA would have been better Premium packing this product or doing it in the same format as Buffy. To top it all they have the UD product coming out in January that will cut the legs from the after sales of this release making it even harder for dealers to make up losses if they don't have Mulder or Scully autographs to sell.

Yes, this is a head scratcher. I don't understand how these 2 products got piled up on top of each other. RA got out first, but I doubt it will help them in this case. In terms of signers only Anderson and Duchovny really stand out, so collectors who can't afford to do both will probably hold off to see what UD has to offer. Plus it's stretching the demand on the whole title to put them both out like this. I think there is a story here someplace that we just don't know about yet. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Well i am an x-files fan but i think i must have been watching with my eyes shut because i don't know any of the people on the list except the top 3. Frown

One of those guys on the list, Dean Haglund, is one of the 3 "lone gunmen" that used to help Mulder and Scully on the old show

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Steve posted something on the RA forums that FOX made some kind of "mistake" giving Upper Deck the license for X-Files, but he said that in the end, that it will be OK, as he believes that the RA cards are well done and that they will sell well

Also, he said, yes, RA will do more X-Files cards in the future

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Like some collectors, this is a hobby and in the end the Upper Deck set is going to win out here for me due to cashflow. The idea of a 300 card base set, 100 X-files Stickers is really exciting. Also, my son started watching when he went to college this past August and is only up to season 3 so we are going into the Upper Deck set together.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
Like some collectors, this is a hobby and in the end the Upper Deck set is going to win out here for me due to cashflow. The idea of a 300 card base set, 100 X-files Stickers is really exciting. Also, my son started watching when he went to college this past August and is only up to season 3 so we are going into the Upper Deck set together.

Funnily enough I would be the exact opposite. Crucially Rittenhouse autographs are on card while UD use the awful stickers. I would also much rather have a smaller base set and no stickers at all. Just goes to show how hard it is for card companies to produce something everyone likes Smile .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
I recognize a few more of those names. Lauren Ambrose was in Six Feet Under. Doug Savant was in Firefly, Desperate Housewives and Melrose Place.

I ordered 2 boxes and a binder for this release. I hope they arrive this week. I didn't pre-order any of the Upper Deck product.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
Rhys Darby was on Flight of the Conchords. I know I want a Doug Savant autograph for my Melrose Place collection.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Please quit talking about this set or you are going to force me to buy a box, or two...or three...

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post