Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Trading Cards 2015 (Cryptozoic)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Trading Cards 2015 (Cryptozoic)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are the sketch previews for 54 of the 55 artists that worked on this set. For some reason Anne Cain's sketches were not previewed on the Cryptozoic website. Not yet at least.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Logan,

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
Some Nice Sketches!!!

Thumb Up

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Fran Walsh (writer) autograph added.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the Cryptozoic blog it is mentioned that there are 27 signers for this so it appears the autograph checklist is now complete:

James Nesbitt as Bofur the Dwarf
Jed Brophy as Nori the Dwarf
Lee Pace as Thranduil
Peter Hambleton as Gloin the Dwarf
Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield
Ryan Gage as Alfrid
Jeffrey Thomas as Thror, King under the Mountain
Ken Stott as Balin the Dwarf
Stephen Fry as Master of Lake-town
Aidan Turner as Kili the Dwarf
John Bell as Bain son of Bard
Ben Mitchell as Narzug
Graham McTavish as Dwalin the Dwarf
John Callen as Oin the Dwarf
Mark Hadlow as Dori the Dwarf
Stephen Ure as Fimbul the Hunter
Stephen Hunter as Bombur the Dwarf
William Kircher as Bifur the Dwarf
Andy Serkis, Second Unit Director
Peggy Nesbitt as Sigrid
Mary Nesbitt as Tilda
Mikael Persbrandt as Beorn
Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown
Adam Brown as Ori the Dwarf
Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins
Manu Bennett as Azog
Fran Walsh as Writer

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The sketches are spectacular!

You have to figure some of them are artist returns, but a goodly number of these will be found in packs, and what a treat for those who find them. The LOTR sketch chasers are a rabid bunch and they will devour these.

Big ups to Cryptozoic on this one. If they can get a "Five Armies" set that is even close to this one, their trilogy of sets will rank with the Topps releases for the "LOTR" trilogy, which I would've thought impossible given the vaunted status of that stellar collection.

These Hobbit sketches may not be one per box, but that benefits their overall quality, and the autographs have been pretty comprehensive with one more set left to add any missing signers.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Wow, so many of those sketches are phenomenal!

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
none of those above are artist returns; they promote cards you can get in the product

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Even better!
And let me say yours stand out even among this fine group shown, David. Thanks for continuing your already classic run on this set.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Even better!
And let me say yours stand out even among this fine group shown, David. Thanks for continuing your already classic run on this set.

thanks a lotSmile

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Darth Graham
posted Hide Post
Full set details up on Cryptozoic web site now Drool

Posts: 165 | Location: Milton Keynes, UK | Registered: March 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes as Darth Graham stated full info is now up on the Cryptozoic site and a few surprises have been thrown in. First, printing plates are 1:405 packs or 1 in 1.4 cases and sketches are 1:108 packs or 2.67 per case on average.

Next there's "Poster Autograph Cards". These are #'d to 75 and fall 1:232 packs or 1.24 per case:

Then there's "Illustration Autograph Cards". These are #'d to 25 and are 1:2250 packs or 1 in 7.81 cases:

And finally there are redemptions for "Oversized Triple Autograph Cards". These fall 1:11,368 packs or 1 in 39.47 cases:

I have updated the sketch card previews in my post at the top of this page. This set does look fantastic and every bit as good as the first one!

Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
I was starting to think the remark about 'multiple autograph designs' on the product page was just referring to the yellow card that is used for the crew rather than actors, but these are brilliant. I especially love the 'poster' cards - simple design and stunning images! The Dwarfie chase set is looking fairly fun too Smile

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those triples are weak. They're clearly cut sigs from the first set autos.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Those triples are weak. They're clearly cut sigs from the first set autos.

Until I looked closely I didn't notice that. But you're right! Nearly like sticker autos. A nice rare card and I definitely wouldn't complain to find it, but it would have been even nicer had the autos been a proper triple on-card.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
BUSTED A NICE CASE Metal

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
hey, posted part of my work on DA today, you are welcome to check them out if interested

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
David. They are phenomenal, but you know that already. Absolutely wonderful. I have been asked if I would sell one of your sketches if I pulled it in a case. The answer is no. For those who love sketches, just looking at a wonderful sketch gives much pleasure. Ah... to pull a Desbois sketch...

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of richscards
posted Hide Post
Wow, now that I have cracked 20+ cases, it is really fun to look back at all the sample sketches and see that I pulled 9 of the cards that were highlighted in advance of the release.

Here's my very quick review of this product:

• Overall, amazing art cards, decent collation. I pulled 35 of the 55 artists. The quality within cases can be hit or miss (I had two cases with only two sketches, and several that featured three...ummm...less than spectacular sketches).

• Agree with others on the auto list needing a couple more big signers, but LOVE the variant autos. Poster autos are way cool, as are the Illustration autos. My MAJOR bone to pick with this set is the collation on the standard autos. By my second case, I had pulled 20 of the 27 autos. 20 CASES LATER I STILL only have 20 of the 27 autos. I pulled over 350 autos total, and didn't even come close to completing one auto set. If anyone from Crypto reads this post, PLEASE contact me for more details. This is absurd, and I would love to do anything I can to help Crypto ensure that this experience never happens to another customer.

• Having a wealth of chase cards made for fun opening, and added some good value to the product too. The Dwarfie set hasn't been super popular with my customers, but it was a cute idea. Need to figure out how to pack these out without damaging them. Almost all the clear LT and D cards I pulled have scratches, many to the point where I don't feel comfortable charging for them.

• Arkenstone 1/1 cards were an AWESOME idea. Love the concept and the execution.

• Printing plates were another nice addition this time around, and I hope to see them in the next release too.

Thanks for reading!

Posts: 178 | Location: SF Bay Area, USA | Registered: August 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post