Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Trading Cards 2015 (Cryptozoic)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/4967003376

April 23, 2015, 02:34 PM
Logan
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Trading Cards 2015 (Cryptozoic)
Here are the sketch previews for 54 of the 55 artists that worked on this set. For some reason Anne Cain's sketches were not previewed on the Cryptozoic website. Not yet at least.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Logan,
April 23, 2015, 02:54 PM
MarcG
Some Nice Sketches!!!

Thumb Up

April 25, 2015, 03:59 PM
ravenheart
Fran Walsh (writer) autograph added.
April 25, 2015, 05:07 PM
Logan
On the Cryptozoic blog it is mentioned that there are 27 signers for this so it appears the autograph checklist is now complete:

James Nesbitt as Bofur the Dwarf
Jed Brophy as Nori the Dwarf
Lee Pace as Thranduil
Peter Hambleton as Gloin the Dwarf
Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield
Ryan Gage as Alfrid
Jeffrey Thomas as Thror, King under the Mountain
Ken Stott as Balin the Dwarf
Stephen Fry as Master of Lake-town
Aidan Turner as Kili the Dwarf
John Bell as Bain son of Bard
Ben Mitchell as Narzug
Graham McTavish as Dwalin the Dwarf
John Callen as Oin the Dwarf
Mark Hadlow as Dori the Dwarf
Stephen Ure as Fimbul the Hunter
Stephen Hunter as Bombur the Dwarf
William Kircher as Bifur the Dwarf
Andy Serkis, Second Unit Director
Peggy Nesbitt as Sigrid
Mary Nesbitt as Tilda
Mikael Persbrandt as Beorn
Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown
Adam Brown as Ori the Dwarf
Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins
Manu Bennett as Azog
Fran Walsh as Writer
April 25, 2015, 06:36 PM
chesspieceface
The sketches are spectacular!

You have to figure some of them are artist returns, but a goodly number of these will be found in packs, and what a treat for those who find them. The LOTR sketch chasers are a rabid bunch and they will devour these.

Big ups to Cryptozoic on this one. If they can get a "Five Armies" set that is even close to this one, their trilogy of sets will rank with the Topps releases for the "LOTR" trilogy, which I would've thought impossible given the vaunted status of that stellar collection.

These Hobbit sketches may not be one per box, but that benefits their overall quality, and the autographs have been pretty comprehensive with one more set left to add any missing signers.

April 25, 2015, 07:04 PM
Juelle Lou
Wow, so many of those sketches are phenomenal!
April 25, 2015, 10:46 PM
DavidDeb
none of those above are artist returns; they promote cards you can get in the product

April 26, 2015, 01:46 AM
chesspieceface
Even better!
And let me say yours stand out even among this fine group shown, David. Thanks for continuing your already classic run on this set.

April 26, 2015, 08:14 AM
DavidDeb
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Even better!
And let me say yours stand out even among this fine group shown, David. Thanks for continuing your already classic run on this set.

thanks a lotSmile

May 08, 2015, 10:54 AM
Darth Graham
Full set details up on Cryptozoic web site now Drool
May 08, 2015, 03:06 PM
Logan
Yes as Darth Graham stated full info is now up on the Cryptozoic site and a few surprises have been thrown in. First, printing plates are 1:405 packs or 1 in 1.4 cases and sketches are 1:108 packs or 2.67 per case on average.

Next there's "Poster Autograph Cards". These are #'d to 75 and fall 1:232 packs or 1.24 per case:

Then there's "Illustration Autograph Cards". These are #'d to 25 and are 1:2250 packs or 1 in 7.81 cases:

And finally there are redemptions for "Oversized Triple Autograph Cards". These fall 1:11,368 packs or 1 in 39.47 cases:

I have updated the sketch card previews in my post at the top of this page. This set does look fantastic and every bit as good as the first one!
May 08, 2015, 06:13 PM
rwn410
I was starting to think the remark about 'multiple autograph designs' on the product page was just referring to the yellow card that is used for the crew rather than actors, but these are brilliant. I especially love the 'poster' cards - simple design and stunning images! The Dwarfie chase set is looking fairly fun too Smile
May 10, 2015, 07:42 AM
ravenheart
Those triples are weak. They're clearly cut sigs from the first set autos.
May 11, 2015, 10:15 AM
Hedgehog Witch
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Those triples are weak. They're clearly cut sigs from the first set autos.

Until I looked closely I didn't notice that. But you're right! Nearly like sticker autos. A nice rare card and I definitely wouldn't complain to find it, but it would have been even nicer had the autos been a proper triple on-card.
May 13, 2015, 01:49 AM
Kryten67
BUSTED A NICE CASE Metal

May 20, 2015, 11:46 AM
DavidDeb
hey, posted part of my work on DA today, you are welcome to check them out if interested

May 20, 2015, 02:58 PM
steve j
David. They are phenomenal, but you know that already. Absolutely wonderful. I have been asked if I would sell one of your sketches if I pulled it in a case. The answer is no. For those who love sketches, just looking at a wonderful sketch gives much pleasure. Ah... to pull a Desbois sketch...
May 25, 2015, 12:23 AM
richscards
Wow, now that I have cracked 20+ cases, it is really fun to look back at all the sample sketches and see that I pulled 9 of the cards that were highlighted in advance of the release.

Here's my very quick review of this product:

Thanks for reading!