Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Marvel 2013 from Upper Deck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marvel 2013 from Upper Deck
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted
Iron Man 3
Marvel Legendary: Dark City
Marvel Fleer Retro Trading Card Set (name tbd)
Thor 2
Marvel Now

Very interesting. That's alot of Marvel product in one year from one company. I wonder how many will see the light of day. I also wonder how the market will do and what new chase cards will be out there, with four Marvel releases from RA. That's alot of competition in one year.

I wonder how many companies/releases this year will not have sketch cards. Add more in a box. Or make them scarcer.

The market seems to me to be flooded with sketch cards.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess the Legendary set counts if you're a Marvel Completest, but I don't have any customers chasing the game.

I would like to see the Retro set be something geared mostly towards retail and kids. That's lacking in the current environment.

Trying new things and making sketches scarce does not always look. Kree-Skrull War is a prime example.

Way too much Marvel, too many sketch cards. Not sure this will end well...

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I knew someone would comment on the Legendary. I'm just stating Marvel related products. I gave up a long time ago with keeping up with gaming cards. Yet, the first series looks nice, and I'll try to find a box cheap. Besides the look, it's a complete set, no chasing involved.

Low sketches didn't work for Kree, but it's working for TWD.

There's never too much Marvel, IMO. Sketches are another issue.

I agree, it's not going to end well.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I'm curious about the Retro and the Now.

I try to buy all the Marvel I can, but UD has made it tough with their rules.

It seems like every manufacturer is pushing me closer to the edge of giving up on this hobby.

We collect alot of things, and when talking of cutting back, my wife said cards, and especially Marvel cards, will be the last thing we stop collecting.

It's starting to look like cards will be the first thing.

The prices, breakdowns, purchasing rules, delays, rarities, allocations, etc., are getting to be too much.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
Trying new things and making sketches scarce does not always look. Kree-Skrull War is a prime example.

I actually appreciated the fact that UD tried something new with Kree-Skrull. My problem was the massive bump in MSRP that made these boxes (as well as the Captain America release) prohibitively expensive at release given the content. I stayed far away from Kree-Skrull when boxes were $60-80, but bought a couple of boxes 9 months later for $40 and was quite content with my purchase. I even managed to buy a case for $210 recently and got quite a bit of enjoyment out of that break as it was essentially like breaking a pack for Marvel Premier but, IMHO, I got a lot more for my money despite the fact that I only got one sketch in a case.

I think that UD needs to work on innovation and ensuring that the content of their release matches their retail pricing. If they can do something along the lines of the Avengers set which was stocked full of content, then they can price the release normally. When their release is mainly base and low-level base sets (like Kree-Skrull) or manufactured patches with some costumes/sketches/autographs (like Captain America), then they should adjust the prices accordingly.

The interest is there, but UD needs to understand the audiences for each release much better.

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
IMO, Kree/Skrull was frustrating. They had rares like they do with their gaming cards. One sketch per case or rarer (don't recall for sure). Delays with the album. Not all the cards fit in the album. Difficult to read the numbers. I did like the most of the cards. Not so keen on the puzzles though.

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Once Kree Skrull hit 17 bucks a box, I ended up getting 3 or 4 boxes over the course of several months. For me it was a fun set. I enjoyed the old school feel of it. I knew I wasn't going to hit a sketch and I didn't really care. I just want to finish off the set. Still need 15 story cards and 2 black and white cover cards.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
Let see if they can do something good like Thor base set or improve the horrors/mistakes in Captain America. Now about the regular Inserts from both sets. UDC really need a lot to improve. I always consider a big mistake made a chase set similar to the base set. Is so difficult go to the classic Prism, Foil or Hologram cards?

I don't die to collect Sketch Cards, but manufacturers made them a reason for people to just buy a box. UDC doesn't understand you can't take it to offer nothing in exchange.

Last week, I manage to get a box of Kree/Skrull for $35 (item + S&H). The concept of a comic book in a card set. It isn't new. You can see it in X-Men Fleer 1996 Wolverine. It isn't bad, but the way/method used by Upper Deck. It was a big mistake.

The only thing good I see in the Kree/Skrull cards is the new artwork.

Sorry to anyone that pay a lot of money for that bad product.

I really miss Fleer and SkyBox/Impel. I don't miss Comic images because we have already a Neo Comic Images aka Rittenhouse. Thumb Up

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MARKPERRY2000
posted Hide Post
I'm still on the fence about rather or not to start collecting the Kree/Skrull set. The comic and puzzle aspects don't really interest.

Posts: 43 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I for one enjoyed Kree-Skrull. I also collect comic books. It was a good comic. What I have read of the back up stories 2,3,4,5 have been enjoyable as well. The retro character set is nice. Overall, I love this product. Would I have at 80+ a box,likely not as much but it is a great set.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Picking up my Kree-Skrull case tomorrow - $190 Big Grin Of course, this doesn't include international postage, but still a great deal. Depending what my break is, I may be able to help others here fill gaps.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
If Retro follows the sports releases it will not be an affordable product. They took all of the designs that they have license to since they bought Fleer/Skybox and re-make all new cards for them. It will be great to see all the cool designs that I loved 20 years ago but I am not going to pay for it again. It may work if they use the sports designs from the 90's and make them that way.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cmcdjj37
posted Hide Post
I didn't see any worth in buying boxes or cases for Kree-Skrull. I can get the whole set online for under $75. Or I can get a case to complete the set and have a ton of extras and a sketch? No thank you. I always try to resell what I don't need or want to try and recover some of the cost and with this set it just wasn't worth it.

Posts: 209 | Location: Castle Rock, Colorado | Registered: July 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I'm getting so tired of taking a risk, both as a part-time dealer (sort of) and as a collector.

I've bought boxes at wholesale that seemed high for the product like this one, and then it gets dumped.

And the opposite happens with The Walking Dead. I order the bare minimum that I think I would use, and then get allocated and the price sky rockets.

Yet, some how I missed the fact that TWD Comic SDCC albums were 1000 for dealers and 1000 for SDCC. Only information I ever saw said 1000. Now they're selling on ebay for less than what I paid wholesale for.

This sort of thing is driving me to the point of getting out of the card hobby totally.

I did that for a year on Bowen Designs Marvel busts, but came back when I found a fantastic deal on all but one that I had passed on.

The gimmicks being used at all ends and levels of my hobby (cards/resin/art/comics), allocations, exclusives, prices, and the odd justifications for such things have driven me right to the edge of ending it all.

With that being said, perhaps I should bump my order up on TWD Comic 2, finalize a deal for more Bowen busts, and contact some artists.

This is a drug. Can't stop, and throwing all my money into it. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tattoox,

posted Hide Post
If they can make Marvel sets will all original artwork I'd be on board, but for now I'm sticking with the classics from the 90's. I just can't see paying these high prices for these newer sets with artwork that I've seen several times from other sources.

Posts: 10 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: March 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post