Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Garbage Pail Kids Digital (TOPPS)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garbage Pail Kids Digital (TOPPS)
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
So I'm not even sure what this is, since its not cards, but it sure is an old card title with a longtime base that are presumably the target buyers. Or maybe not.

This is all digital and as far as I can make out there is no intention of converting to anything physical. It sounds like a combination of GPK and Bitcoin, which is also something I never quite saw the sense in, although economic geniuses have no problem with it. Yet.

Anyway another forum is reporting that GPK Digital has taken off and are selling for stupid money, especially sketch cards. Not that there are really sketch cards, but some picture of a sketch I guess.

There is also a third party platform involved in this process that vaults collections and allows collectors to trade "cards" on their many devices. Its Wax Blockchain and blackchain technology, which I have never heard of myself.

So if anyone wants to report about this or knows anything about it, please jump in and inform us. Maybe some GPK collector might want to get in on the ground floor of the latest moneymaker in cards. Well, maybe not cards, but card-like virtual images of great value to certain discriminating people. I'm being kind there. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
After reading about this a few weeks ago I finally understood how all the people felt who simply can't understand why I collect cards. . .

I just don't get it.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It has some similarities to a Pokémon Go account with I guess the emphasis being on selling these "cards".

There does seem to be a common thread running in these online digital collectibles that kind of resemble your basic Ponzi scheme. Mind you its NOT a Ponzi, just that the first people in do make back their money and maybe a nice profit because the fad is new and people are vying for limited resources. After that the investment starts to depreciate, but at different rates of speed, and some do well for long periods. If you stay too long at the Fair that would be your problem.

A quick search seems to show that there is a whole universe out there for this stuff that's sort of games and sort of collectibles and has some internet community involved with it. Of course there is always some companies, platforms and license holders involved to run and maintain the whole business and they make money regardless.

It's interesting to read about, but I'm way too old to care about any of it. I can't even imagine what these groups of collectors are going to be like in 40 years. I probably won't have to worry about it either. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just one more thing, not to confuse anyone. The money that these particular GPK digital "cards" sell for seems to be some sort of tokens that convert to Bitcoin or trade for other Wax products or something else known only to those internet dwellers. Big Grin

So this is even more complex than it originally sounded to someone who just wants to rip open a pack of cards. I really don't think the charge of not keeping up with the times is all that damning anymore. Wink

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was just reading that there are literally thousands of crypto currencies now. . .

I thought the allure was that they were somehow finite. . . which I guess is true for an individual crypto, but if people can just spin up new ones all day then who cares. . .

Like tomorrow Topps could spin up ToppsCoin, then next week GPKCoin, then AdamBombCoin, forever. . .

Wish I would have bought in to Bitcoin when I first heard about it. . . that ship has sailed.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Spinning off topic a bit, but that is exactly what Zuckerberg wants to do. Create his own currency to be negotiated through Facebook. Who needs countries? Who needs governments? Everybody just make their own crypto currency and if enough people use it and it can be accepted in enough places, it can replace the coin of the realm.

This is just a few steps from all those science fiction movies that we all know and love, like Alien, Blade Runner and Robocop, where the Corporations really rule the world. But its OK because if will give people something to do on their Smart Phones. Big Grin