Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Topps Planning New Mars Attacks Cards and Merchandise for 2012?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topps Planning New Mars Attacks Cards and Merchandise for 2012?
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Who's ready for the next wave of Mars Attack cards and merchandise?? We hear some rumblings Topps is working on new Mars Attacks items to coincide with the 50th Anniversary next year. See news below:

Topps Planning New Mars Attacks Merchandise for 2012?

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
This sounds great but i'm not sure how you can do this set again without re-hashing the same cards again which have allready been done twice.

Looking forward to hearing what the plans are though. Thumb Up

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if Topps would ackowledge the 50th anniversary of this set.
I'd welcome a creative and interesting new approach to the idea.
No reproductions (although perhaps some lenticular interpretations of said invasion
would be interesting) of the original cards please. That's been done, done, done.
Leave out references to the silly movie.
Thanks for bringing this out, Harris.
I wait with baited breath (or is it my breath smells like bait?). Bouncey

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
No matter which direction this set takes, it promises to be a hit.
What I would like to see is a Mars Attacks Masterpieces type art set. Sketches would be included. I also wouldn't mind if the covered some of the Mars Attacks products - books, models, and even the film.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of possibilities with this set, an all new original art set would be fun, maybe even a new take on the plot. Artist sketch cards would be cool too.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally I would like then to hire either Chris Henderson or Nik to do all new artwork for a new set!

Posts: 377 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been talking with Topps for over a year about this (as I'm a BIG fan of the original series), I had some ideas for what they could do with a new set. I can't speak about what I know, but I'll just say I wouldn't get my hopes up for something new. But hey, you never know!! Smile

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can think of that would be cool is if there were sketches of either the original cards or new artwork. I'm really not interested in just another reproduction edition, whether its an anniversary or not. And putting it in chrome or 3-D or widescreen or whatever else is out there is not an improvement on such an iconic set to me.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Pedicini Jr.:
Personally I would like then to hire either Chris Henderson or Nik to do all new artwork for a new set!

Thanks for that Don!
I would jump at the chance to do some Mars Attacks! artwork.
It's my favorite gum card set, even though I only own a reprint set.
If Topps needs base card art or sketches I'd certainly be up for that!

Mars Attacks Uprising, Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies, Star Wars Masterwork, Marvel Premier 2014, The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mars Attacks Heritage, Marvel 70th Anniv', The Prisoner, Star Wars Galaxy 4, X-Men Archives, LOTR Masterpieces II, Vampirella, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Dr Who, Marilyn Monroe and CSI sketch card artist.

Posts: 518 | Location: London UK | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Further hints of new Mars Attacks merchandise: http://www.cardboardconnection...%99-trademark-filing

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
We'll have some Mars Attacks news to share tomorrow. Big Grin

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post

IDW Publishing has announced they are partnering with Topps for a new line of Mars Attacks comics coming next summer. There's not a whole lot of info just yet but we have a bit more on the blog:

Mars Attacks Comics Coming from IDW Publishing

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Any update on this release Harris?

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
Any update on this release Harris?

You saw the blog piece linked above, right? There is a book in the work from Abrams from what I hear as well as some other stuff that I know is happening. I am working on something else right now for the blog as well that I hope to have up in the next few days...hopefully before Memorabilia. Smile

You might follow the Mars Attacks page on Facebook. They're slowly doling out information there.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
A quick FYI.... We have a story on the blog today about IDW Publishing's direction for the Mars Attacks comic books....

IDW's Plans for Mars Attacks

And tomorrow, we'll have one up about some of the other licensed product coming up.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
Thanks for keeping us up to date, Harris.

I've already picked up a "Mars Attacks" T-shirt.
A very nicely-done summer weight shirt.

Cards and comics on their way... Drool

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
A fans commissioned a bunch of artists at New York Comic Comic to do Mars Attacks sketches. Topps has a bunch of them in photo album on Facebook and we have a story about it on the blog:

A Sneak Peek at Mars Attacks Sketches

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Interesting variety of sketches, I hope we see sketches with the new set!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Interesting variety of sketches, I hope we see sketches with the new set!

I would imagine we will. Don't you think? Mars seems like a great set for sketches.

We saw a few of these being done while we were at NYCC, didn't we?

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Yes, I can't imagine Topps releasing a new Mars Attacks set without sketches, they would be perfect for this set. An all new original storyline for the set would be great too. I remember seeing Mark Dos Santos working on his sketch at NYCC, I would like to see Topps get a lot of artists on board for this set, should be one of the most anticipated sets of 2012! Thumb Up