Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Trek 1701s
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek 1701s
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted
well, some of my 1701 boxes have sold... out of 30 , I'm down to 21 left.....

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Now I know why I never found a 1701 box!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
FOR HARDCORE TREKKERS ONLY.......

https://www.facebook.com/media...4151563084890&type=3

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kryten67,

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So I know this is probably an incredibly stupid question, but I am not a Trekkie. It took me awhile to even figure out that when you were talking about 1701 boxes, you were actually referring to the box #1701. I thought it might be some special boxes, like an archive box.

Now here's the stupid question, why does anyone put any premium value in a ST box numbered #1701?

I guess it has some significance to the series, but isn't it just another random box that is likely to contain about the same content as any other random box in the run?

Oh wait, I think it's painted on the ship in the picture. I know that's the Enterprise, never paid much attention to the number. Is that it?

I never would have noticed it or cared if I got a #1701 for that reason. Live and learn. Wink

Posts: 10385 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
The Enterprise is NCC-1701.

back when the World was New..... there was a Toy Line by Playmates......any toy w/ the number 1701 went for Crazy Money...so they introduced 3 toys Limited to ONLY 1701 Action Figures....a Picard, a Tasha Yar & a Barclay...

so in the 90s, when the Cards came out serially Numbered....the Hunt was On...... The Boxes go for about $350 for a minor release to up to 2k for more Important releases & possible Hidden Archive Boxes......

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's amazing! Thanks for the reply Kryten67.

I usually buy at least one ST box in every release just for a try at the autographs and I will never know if I ever had a #1701. But I imagine that any dealer aware of this would pull it in as soon as he saw it.

Posts: 10385 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
they Never Hit the cases.....A RA employee requested the 1701 Boxes as part of there payment.......He sold them to a Dealer.....then to a Private collector....I pulled the 1701 ST Portfolios as he wasn't with RA any longer...Made a deal for the other 1701s & bought them.

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
For Trek the #1 and #1701 would have value for people who like numbers. Now, granted the subset of people who collect who also collect numbers are less then all the collectors out there, but they do exist Wink
Alot of times as noted, they don't even get seeded into the runs .They are kept back. I remember at the 30th Anniv. convention for Trek they had this BIG auction of all the #1 toys. It was quite the hit Wink
The boxes themselves aren't unique in anyway as far as content but just add a *chase* for those interested.
Pricing itself would be a challenge since it's not like you can price compare with OTHER 1701s Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
For Trek the #1 and #1701 would have value for people who like numbers. Now, granted the subset of people who collect who also collect numbers are less then all the collectors out there, but they do exist Wink
Alot of times as noted, they don't even get seeded into the runs .They are kept back. I remember at the 30th Anniv. convention for Trek they had this BIG auction of all the #1 toys. It was quite the hit Wink
The boxes themselves aren't unique in anyway as far as content but just add a *chase* for those interested.
Pricing itself would be a challenge since it's not like you can price compare with OTHER 1701s Wink

don't forget, RA used to do UNMARKED Archive Boxes.... a lot of people think some of these may well be one of those UNMARKED Archive Boxes... I for one could NEVER OPEN ONE....

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Sure, there's a chance it could be an archive box, but that chance is pretty slim and wouldn't really matter since anyone who bought it wouldn't be opening it anyway.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
quote:

don't forget, RA used to do UNMARKED Archive Boxes.... a lot of people think some of these may well be one of those UNMARKED Archive Boxes... I for one could NEVER OPEN ONE....

Well I've collected cards for a very long time and I know that the numbering on individual cards could bring a premium for several reasons. The #1 card and the last # in the range are sought after. Any number that agreed with a jersey number in sports cards was sought after. Any number that agreed with some record was sought after. And some collectors just think that the lower the number the better, although I can't really see the difference. It might be that early signed autographs should be better than sloppy, later autographs. But that is not always the case.

But to my knowledge I can't ever recall the box number as being worth a premium, with the exception of #1, which is likely to be held back anyway. So this is really a whole new angle to think about. Smile

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
STAR WARS Collectors want #'s 1977 , 1980 & 1983..the years the Original FILMS Came out.

Boxed #'d sets of course

NSU Writer
Picture of sthomas
posted Hide Post
This is one aspect of collecting --numerology -- I never considered. I think it's a fine idea. Hope you're able to keep one box for yourself.

Posts: 92 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: February 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sthomas:
This is one aspect of collecting --numerology -- I never considered. I think it's a fine idea. Hope you're able to keep one box for yourself.

Take a Look......

Trekker's Paradise

https://www.facebook.com/media...4151563084890&type=3

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
But to my knowledge I can't ever recall the box number as being worth a premium, with the exception of #1, which is likely to be held back anyway. So this is really a whole new angle to think about. Smile

Well, considering only one person can *win* the numbers game...well, ok, mebbe 3 if you say first one, last one and 1701 (in the case of trek..), it's not an angle to get too wrapped up into or your heart would get broken too often (or your wallet) Smile This was an interesting lot since it included sooooo many. Only missing TOS I as I recall and ST Aliens.
Just as a reminder, usually discussing things we actively have for sale is usually a no-no. This falls in the category of unique, since like there's no competition, but...it does ride an edge Wink

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
i have seen a #1 Box for a Trek Set...the guy wanted like 10K at the time...it was PSA graded to boot........

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, considering only one person can *win* the numbers game...well, ok, mebbe 3 if you say first one, last one and 1701 (in the case of trek..), it's not an angle to get too wrapped up into or your heart would get broken too often (or your wallet) Smile This was an interesting lot since it included sooooo many. Only missing TOS I as I recall and ST Aliens.
Just as a reminder, usually discussing things we actively have for sale is usually a no-no. This falls in the category of unique, since like there's no competition, but...it does ride an edge Wink

Don't worry, when I said new angle I meant it was something a never even knew collectors thought about, not that it was something I was considering doing myself. Wink

The whole drawback is that you can never open the box.

I know that there are some collectors who just store sealed boxes in their closets and regard it as a card collection. I would just call that inventory, but to each their own. Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Trust me the URGE to Bust Them is there, but they would just be Cards..... I've got the Cards....but the 1701s....... Now that's Rare....

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know that there are some collectors who just store sealed boxes in their closets and regard it as a card collection. I would just call that inventory, but to each their own. Big Grin

Two of my master set clients request the inclusion of a box and a pack. Oddly enough, I do ok with sending along a box, but the pack TORTURES me. There could be an auto in that pack or a sketch OR OR OR.....not sure why it upsets me more then the boxes do. Maybe because I often let boxes out of the house, but packs....

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Only 10 of the 1701s are still mine.....

20 have sold.....it's a shame to lose them but.....

LLAP , Lord knows I'm Trying.........