Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Acheron Mint's A Boy and His Dog trading cards.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acheron Mint's A Boy and His Dog trading cards.
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
Acheron Mint is proud to present A Boy and His Dog trading cards, a retro style set printed on chipboard and detailing the 1975 cult film that never got it's own series. Sets include Don Johnson and Harlan Ellison autos, relics and sketch cards. Each pack will come in in a 1970's style wax wrapper. More details announced soon, this is sort of a labor of love for me and I hope people like the sets as much as I enjoyed creating them!

Acheron Mint

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks very good Thumb Up . I met Harlan Ellison in 1994 at a Pontins in Norfolk. One of the more surreal celebrity encounters I have had! A great writer and also wonderfully entertaining raconteur who always says what he thinks.

Loved this film when it first came out, excellent choice for a set.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Wow this is really underground, literally. Big Grin

I think I might like a Don Johnson autograph, but I wish I could have the dog. Wink

It's hard to look at this type of film and say how it would play to today's audiences or even if you would like it if you saw it again after all these years. This is a pretty weird film and some would find it unpleasant even.

However I did see it years and years ago and, while I can't say that I remember every scene, I remember the ending. I thought it was great at the time. Admittedly my sense of humor may have been impaired, so don't take it as a recommendation. Big Grin

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you guessed by now this was an April Fool's joke, you'd be right.

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Clap
Nice One!!

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Very nice.

In my defense, cult titles are all the rage and if someone is doing Re-Animator anything is possible. Too bad that more people either didn't read this thread or were not moved enough to respond.

On the plus side, I looked it up and actually found the full film on youtube. I didn't watch the whole thing again because some parts were boring/dated and that whole white face makeup society, I think I forgot that altogether. However the influence of this film toward the Mad Max/Road Warrior series is very obvious now, as I see it again. It may have been an April's Fool joke, and the plot is more than a little weird and offensive, but you can see it's early place in the "end of the world" category of films.

As for that ending, quite sick. And unfortunately I still laughed. "She certainly had marvelous judgment, if not particularly good taste."

Somebody might make a card set of it yet. Big Grin

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I had read the original story before the movie was released, and went in ready to be thrilled, and not even minding kissing my three bucks goodbye, or whatever it cost to see a movie way back then in the Stone Age, when all the movie projectors ran by burning coal. I was so dissapointed in the movie. I couldn't believe how they handled one of my all time favorite stories. I have never seen it since.

Posts: 2503 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The movie is in Public Domain now so it would be pretty easy to make a set. I've thought about it more than a few times.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"A Boy and His Dog" is public domain but "Steamboat Willie" isn't? That's the difference between having a bad lawyer and a good one.

Posts: 4379 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's way beyond lawyers. Disney had a team of lobbyist lobby congress to get copyright changed in 1996 so Mickey Mouse wouldn't go into public domain. This also affected Superman. And they will go back and get copyrights extended again when the new term runs out. Such is the nature of our corporate controlled culture.