Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Stranger Things -- ZeroCool

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/4757040996

July 26, 2022, 10:20 PM
webjon
Stranger Things -- ZeroCool
ZeroCool is at the National this week.

Their Social Media posts strongly indicate they will be announcing something Stranger Things related at the National.
July 27, 2022, 01:11 AM
mykdude
Please let it be they have lost the license and RA has acquired it.

July 27, 2022, 08:03 AM
Raven
TOPPS could have done a lot more with "Stranger Things" while it was new and hot, but I barely saw the cards and never found a hobby box. Then the show schedule just went into limbo and the license probably expired and wasn't renewed.

Can't blame them for that. I mean no card company can get cards out when the seasons don't start on time. These "kids" are going to in their 20's and 30's when we see the last of it. The only thing might be to wait until it all wraps up and somebody gets out one good completion product.

ZeroCool has shown me nothing but hype and shameless manipulation so far. At this point I wouldn't want them to put out cards for any title I was interested in.
July 27, 2022, 10:34 AM
Ted Dastick Jr.
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
TOPPS could have done a lot more with "Stranger Things" while it was new and hot, but I barely saw the cards and never found a hobby box.

They were promoted well and readily available for a while, not sure how you missed it.

But I agree with your second point - Topps kind of got the shaft with the show's erratic schedule. They put out Welcome To The Upside Down in lieu of a Season 3 set, then did the online-exclusive sticker auto dump, which was actually an incredible value at the time.
July 27, 2022, 11:20 AM
webjon
The also announced Clerks III and Dune.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...th-netflix-legendary

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,
July 27, 2022, 01:06 PM
Raven
Fanatics has the most money by far. Easy bet that, if they want it, they can outbid and secure any available license that comes up.

And don't call it non-sport anymore. It's all Pop Culture, don't you know? Big Grin
July 27, 2022, 05:24 PM
mykdude
I don't know, I think with the way cards are being released these days an erratic title schedule would be the best for a manufacturer.

With the up tick in card prices it looks like any sellers that still have first year product are pushing it at a premium. Much more than when they came out.

July 27, 2022, 05:28 PM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:

Would be hilarious if Clerks III hits the street before Chasing Amy. Dune has potential, probably make a better card set than movie. Wink

July 27, 2022, 10:58 PM
webjon
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:

Would be hilarious if Clerks III hits the street before Chasing Amy. Dune has potential, probably make a better card set than movie. Wink

I'm curious how these will be released -- are we still going to see the dutch auction?

I realize Dune has a cult following, but I literally don't know a single person who has seen the new one. The movie is now a year old. . . is there really demand for a Dune set? So far ZeroCool seemed to be trying to grab on to hot new trends/properties. . . Dune doesn't seem to fit that mold.

I really hope we see a Chasing Amy release. . . I'm guessing Clerks III will beat it. Clerks III is releasing in mid-September. Hope the set is out around then. I'll be watching for autos from this for sure -- really good potential autographs. That said I already have autographs from most of the main cast. Out of the top 10 billed people only Justin Long hasn't signed previously.

People are really excited for Stranger Things. I've never watched it, so it's not a release for me -- but interestingly ZeroCool has said they are planning multiple releases.

I hate to be negative, but I have to ask myself -- since they are all under the same roof now -- is ZeroCool going to produce something better than Topps?

Based on the two previous releases I think the answer to that is pretty obviously no. I'm not going to pay $100+ for a Jack@$$esq box with a 50/50 shot at a Clerks III autograph.

Well see what happens. . .

I thought ZC was going to inject new life/licenses into the hobby. . . These three new releases are basically rehashes of licenses previously held by other manufacturers.

I'm also kinda put off by the fact that ZC is still squarely focused on sports card collectors.
July 28, 2022, 12:30 AM
Ryan Cracknell
I've got some details in a post here:

https://www.beckett.com/news/z...ading-card-licenses/

The Dune play is more for the sequel(s). The first sets will coincide with its release with the license running through 2025 should there be a third.

Clerks III will be out when it hits theatres. Plus a special set for Kevin Smith's tour he's also doing.

All three licenses had promos given out at the National today. Don't have full details but looks like Stranger Things is 18 cards judging by numbering. Packs have two cards. The even did a fancy vending machine to get them.

I picked up a lenticular Jay and Silent Bob promo. Not sure if there are more.

Wasn't around for Dune but there's at least one card I think too (it was on the schedule).

As for the upcoming sets, looks like some will have the premium releases like we have seen from them plus retail. I think it will vary from license to license.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook
July 28, 2022, 04:06 PM
catskilleagle
How was the Jay and Silent Bob lenticular given out? Were they handing them out like they had a lot of them or did it look like it was going to be a limited giveaway? Did you buy something and you got one with purchase?

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
I've got some details in a post here:

https://www.beckett.com/news/z...ading-card-licenses/

The Dune play is more for the sequel(s). The first sets will coincide with its release with the license running through 2025 should there be a third.

Clerks III will be out when it hits theatres. Plus a special set for Kevin Smith's tour he's also doing.

All three licenses had promos given out at the National today. Don't have full details but looks like Stranger Things is 18 cards judging by numbering. Packs have two cards. The even did a fancy vending machine to get them.

I picked up a lenticular Jay and Silent Bob promo. Not sure if there are more.

Wasn't around for Dune but there's at least one card I think too (it was on the schedule).

As for the upcoming sets, looks like some will have the premium releases like we have seen from them plus retail. I think it will vary from license to license.

July 28, 2022, 11:40 PM
Ryan Cracknell
They've been rotating through the three licenses with one per hour. I was there for one Stranger Things one and it was a pack. I think the other two were given to those in line (may have been a limited number per slot but not sure on those. I overheard their speaker saying some waited over an hour for Stranger Things).

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook
July 29, 2022, 06:41 AM
mykdude
The border on the Stanger Things promo almost makes the card look damaged. I'm not really sure if I like it or not. Are they metallic?

A few up on ebay with ridiculous asking price. Fortunately they aren't selling.......yet.

As far as Clerks III except for adding Justin and Dawson I'm not sure what else it can offer over the UD Clerks.

Dune could be huge, especially if they get the main cast members on board. I would guess that a Zendaya autograph would come out at a couple grand or more. Christopher Walken and Javier Bardem would be really cool as well. I saw the first one and didn't hate it but the imagery would make for beautiful cards if done correctly.

The Dune promo is a motion card as well. On ebay already.

July 29, 2022, 01:10 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Dune could be huge, especially if they get the main cast members on board. I would guess that a Zendaya autograph would come out at a couple grand or more. Christopher Walken and Javier Bardem would be really cool as well. I saw the first one and didn't hate it but the imagery would make for beautiful cards if done correctly.

Yeah, but Dune has all major stars and if nobody signs up for autographs except maybe Momoa, that sinks the whole project for many potential buyers.

According to what has always been said, card makers can only negotiate actor contracts after they get the license, so they have no idea how many actors will agree to sign. You can make a nice set with sketches and relics, but now that the boxes want $160 plus and top cards are close to $1,000 out of the gate, you must know you can get nearly all the big signers, or you won't get the sellout, unless the Dutch Auction goes under $60. Big Grin
July 29, 2022, 08:10 PM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Yeah, but Dune has all major stars and if nobody signs up for autographs except maybe Momoa, that sinks the whole project for many potential buyers.

According to what has always been said, card makers can only negotiate actor contracts after they get the license, so they have no idea how many actors will agree to sign. You can make a nice set with sketches and relics, but now that the boxes want $160 plus and top cards are close to $1,000 out of the gate, you must know you can get nearly all the big signers, or you won't get the sellout, unless the Dutch Auction goes under $60. Big Grin

And that's why you don't commit until you see a checklist! One day collectors will figure that out. Big Grin

July 30, 2022, 04:42 AM
Scifi Cards
quote:
And that's why you don't commit until you see a checklist! One day collectors will figure that out.

We'll see how ZeroCool handles that aspect along with if they stick with the reverse dutch auction format for everything.

If I waited on a checklist for everything, I'd be out of business. These days checklists sometimes arrive after the product hits. As a dealer, I'm expected to gamble on each and every set. Made my fair share of bad guesses, but these days with allocations, it's pretty much "give me all I can have please and thank you."

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

July 30, 2022, 04:35 PM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

We'll see how ZeroCool handles that aspect along with if they stick with the reverse dutch auction format for everything.

If I waited on a checklist for everything, I'd be out of business. These days checklists sometimes arrive after the product hits. As a dealer, I'm expected to gamble on each and every set. Made my fair share of bad guesses, but these days with allocations, it's pretty much "give me all I can have please and thank you."

Ed

No question I understand the struggle especially for dealers. It's tough that some dealers can run pre-sells while others can't even be sure they are going to get a single case. Still, as a collector I cant commit to the insane prices until I have good idea what it is I am committing to. New titles are generally something I would take a risk on. Unfortunately not too many of those. Smokin'

July 30, 2022, 11:08 PM
webjon
I believe ZeroCool has said they will always publish the complete checklist and print runs before selling a set. . .

Now, thus far that has been assuming they follow the auction format, which I think many people (myself included) hope they move away from.

Regarding Dune -- I had no idea how many big name actors were in Dune. If they can get top tier autographs then people will chase the autographs for sure.
August 02, 2022, 08:37 AM
webjon
There is a Stranger Things box redemption that came out at the National . . . it isn't specific about what box you are receiving just "one box of Stranger Things Collectible Trading Cards."

I assume they mean the Zerocool release, but perhaps not.

At any rate -- the redemption expires in December 2022, so perhaps they are planning on releasing their first set before then.
August 02, 2022, 10:26 PM
mykdude
So is Zerocool Fanatics non sport face or will they eventually move to the front?