Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Trek Original Series Archives And Inscriptions (Rittenhouse)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek Original Series Archives And Inscriptions (Rittenhouse)
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I get your point and the possibility of still finding a variant base card in every pack is better than nothing but doubles and triples.

Agreeing with you there, I'm still going to say, who needs 36 cards with quotes from a minor character? Who needs to devote 4 9-pocket pages in a binder to a minor character?

Too much of a good idea doesn't make it better. It makes it unnecessary overkill and if someone doesn't say so in the first effort, you will get twice as much of it the next time around.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
So maybe if Rittenhouse limited the number of variations per base card to 9 or fewer that would be a good compromise. I would rather have 9 different variations of a base card (all with around the same card count) compared to all the same duplicates, or cards with different counts (/99, /50/, /10, /1) which creates sets that nobody can realistically complete

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have pity for the anal-retentive checklist makers. I only saw 2015 of the 2018 base card quotes. From what I can tell, Rittenhouse was pretty complete with the auto inscriptions.

One confusing thing about most Star Trek sets and some other media properties is that the copyright dates on card backs often refer to the studio's copyright on the image. It makes it tough to look at the printed year and try to associate it with the series where it was distributed. The Inscription Autos ranged from 2018-2020, and Other autos were 2013-2020.

With Trek and GOT, you'll see auction listings that identify the wrong series because the seller keyed on the printed year. Do you want a complete set of Sulu or Sansa autos? You have to search on the whole show and examine images.

Sketch cards reused blanks that were mostly marked 2016 on the backs, but they're 1/1's.

I don't see the same issue with Disney properties because they don't print any years. You have different issues, especially with sticker-autos.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
Picture of Robert Kohlbus
posted Hide Post
The date on the backs of the cards is the year the card was printed and is required by the license contracts. To help collectors better determine which set a card may have come from or if they are looking for cards from a specific actor, Rittenhouse has added a search feature to our website that will search all of the various checklists. You can find it on-line at https://www.scifihobby.com/cardsearch/

Posts: 279 | Location: Jenkintown, PA | Registered: December 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cool feature, Robert!

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Kohlbus:
The date on the backs of the cards is the year the card was printed and is required by the license contracts. To help collectors better determine which set a card may have come from or if they are looking for cards from a specific actor, Rittenhouse has added a search feature to our website that will search all of the various checklists. You can find it on-line at https://www.scifihobby.com/cardsearch/

Many thanks for this Robert

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Could be worse. Take a look at 2008 Upper Deck documentary Baseball if you want to complete a set.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Thanks Robert - Some great information. Will come in handy when reviewing my old sets

Just to check, I searched for "Sulu" and saw 62 cards across many sets.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That card search link is very cool. Thanks for sharing. Smile

Posts: 27 | Location: USA | Registered: May 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It's a good research tool, but I can see just by checking a few signer names that it's not fully up to date. Several autograph cards for GoT and Twilight Zone signers that I randomly checked are missing. So this either needs updating for the most recent products or its still a work in progress.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Robert! It's good to know.

I do notice that some other licenses over the years for other cardmakers printed the studio photo date; I've seen copyrights 40 years before the set came out. I think this might have been with UK shows, and the rules didn't get (mostly) standardized across the water until 1988-1989 when both the UK and USA put them into law.

It makes more sense the way you describe it, since it tends to extend copyright protection a few years longer. Gosh, has it been 17 years since you joined Rittenhouse? And I note that Myrtle Beach is mostly open, but I'd avoid it for a few months more...

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I apologize if this has been asked previously, but does anyone know if RA is sending back the redemption card for the laser cut set when you send it in? I don't have the card with me right now, but wanted to know before I mailed it in, as I would like to keep it for my set.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know the inscription on Harry Mudd Variant #6? It's the only one I haven't seen. Thanks!

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I apologize if this has been asked previously, but does anyone know if RA is sending back the redemption card for the laser cut set when you send it in? I don't have the card with me right now, but wanted to know before I mailed it in, as I would like to keep it for my set.

Customer that pulled one said he sent a note asking for it to be returned. But just got the set in the return mail. So I'm guessing they're not sending them back.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
Does anybody know the inscription on Harry Mudd Variant #6? It's the only one I haven't seen. Thanks!

Sent you an email but try http://jklm.net/startrekcards/checklists/

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post