Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Trek Original Series Archives And Inscriptions (Rittenhouse)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek Original Series Archives And Inscriptions (Rittenhouse)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
Added to their home page, with an April 15th release date.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't get it. So much for my idea that Star Trek Inflexions might be the last big gasp for RA's original series star autographs. And to not even wait to the last quarter of the year when current demand for repeat signers has been lukewarm at best.

Does anyone know if their license is expiring?

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Maybe their original series sets are more popular than other series sets, it's been two years since their last TOS set.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
Maybe their original series sets are more popular than other series sets, it's been two years since their last TOS set.

The TOS Captain's Collection was released July 25, 2018. In that one there were 13 cards that were signed with inscriptions. All of those 13 repeat signers would fall in the supporting guest star category.

My guess now, since RA has stuck "And Inscriptions" in the title, is that we will finally get the main cast inscription cards and the leftover guest inscriptions held back from 2018, plus any new ones if there are any new ones. However since we had the Bridge cards in Inscriptions, we did just get most of the main cast again. So the supply for their autographs just increased with that as well.

I agree, I still like TOS more than any other Star Trek series and I hope that RA can at least include some of the more underused guest stars, if they are going back to the well. But in terms of the main cast signers, with or without inscriptions, the demand has been satisfied.

If you wanted any or all of their autographs, you have them. Now we are into saturation territory and that is good for collectors in terms of availability and bad for collectors if you are looking to hold or increase prices on what you already own. All depends on your position. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Information is trickling in... New Signers... plus Cut Signature Cards of Angelique Pettyjohn (Shahna) & Arnold Moss (Anton Karidian, alter-ego of the tyrannical Gov. Kodos)

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
This should make collecting a base set interesting...

98 Card, Variable Inscription Base Set
Memorable quotes from 98 characters from Star Trek TOS. Loads of variations to collect! Where no base set has gone before!

They show 5 variations for Spock. Anyone want to start a contest for how big a "Complete" Base set is?

And a 44 card insert set, inserted at 1:12 packs. 22 boxes to complete that one.

This is going to be seriously difficult to completists.

But the autos and sketches look fantastic.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
... Loads of variations to collect! Where no base set has gone before! ...

For good reason, it'll drive people nuts. Razz

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is it an inscription if it's printed? Confused

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
quote:
This should make collecting a base set interesting...

98 Card, Variable Inscription Base Set
Memorable quotes from 98 characters from Star Trek TOS. Loads of variations to collect! Where no base set has gone before!

They show 5 variations for Spock. Anyone want to start a contest for how big a "Complete" Base set is?

And a 44 card insert set, inserted at 1:12 packs. 22 boxes to complete that one.

This is going to be seriously difficult to completists.

But the autos and sketches look fantastic.

Ed

This sort of nonsense is why I stopped buying new product.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Is it an inscription if it's printed? Confused

I was looking at those varying base cards and they are printed into the cards, so NO. Those are quotes, not inscriptions. The only inscriptions are the ones that signers are adding to their autograph cards and those seem to be "scripted" inscriptions suggested by RA.

I'm sure the base cards are going to frustrate people, but at the same time RA has to try something new when the title is so well worn. so what can you say? I dislike the cuts for actors that, no disrespect to them, are unimportant to the series.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I was looking at those varying base cards and they are printed into the cards, so NO. Those are quotes, not inscriptions.

Don't tell me, tell them Big Grin

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure the base cards are going to frustrate people, but at the same time RA has to try something new when the title is so well worn. so what can you say?

The bare-bones checklist was posted today on the RA website.

I'll leave this here without further comment (you do the maths):
quote:
98 Base Cards (10-30 Variations in Quote per card)

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
We live in a world of extremes. It's all or nothing, with nothing in between.

Interested Star Trek collectors will make a base set out of whatever version of a base card they get. That would be sensible. The multiple base quotes will not increase demand one iota because who would attempt to get them all? Perhaps on one character? Maybe that's possible if an individual was so inclined.

My only interest would be in the autographs, if anything, and I have bigger things to worry about now. Big Grin

Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
The checklist on Rittenhouse's website states "98 base cards (Up to 36 variations/quotes per character/base card)." That's a lot of variations on base cards. Frown

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curler:
The checklist on Rittenhouse's website states "98 base cards (Up to 36 variations/quotes per character/base card)." That's a lot of variations on base cards. Frown

I've heard that it will be at least 2000 cards for a "complete" base set. Won't that be something to collect?

Ed

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've heard that it will be at least 2000 cards for a "complete" base set. Won't that be something to collect?

Ed

er, no! Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Ed

er, no! Big Grin

Not only that, if someone did put together the 2000 card base set, what would it actually be worth?

Collectibles are a strange market. Things can be rare. Things can be priceless. But being priceless can smooth out to $50, if you can even find a buyer. Priceless can also mean worthless, but you find that out a lot later. Big Grin

It is also easier to move a small collection than a large collection because larger collections have a plethora of average and filler cards that no one wants to pay for. So the more complete or bigger your collection is the more cards you will be throwing in for free, should you be foolish enough to think that even those few people that may appreciate it are willing to pay for it. Only the best hits can claim some demand and hope of sustained value.

Card makers can play with the base set as much as they want. It has already been amply demonstrated that short printed or ultra premium base sets elevate the price only so far and then it loses all demand. Same thing goes for parallel sets. Worse yet, if you play around too much, collectors will just be turned off and won't go into a product at all.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right, the average Star Trek card collector is going to be happy with one of each base card number and maybe a couple of the variations of their favorites. It's going to cost more money to build that ultimate master set than it's going to be worth when its done. Of course, some collectors don't care because running that marathon is going to be fun for them and you can't put a price on that especially these days. Two competitive friends are going to go for it and see who finishes first.

I'm not really into parallels. The parallel refractor set for Star Wars Finest was fun because there was just that one level and the refractors looked great. I like the Topps 75th refractors too and I will finish that set over time. I'm not into the minor accent differences in some parallels of increasing rarity. I keep thinking the company could've done some extra sketches or random box toppers with the same money it cost for printing that extra level few are going to chase.

Jess

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Ed

er, no! Big Grin

Not only that, if someone did put together the 2000 card base set, what would it actually be worth?

Collectibles are a strange market. Things can be rare. Things can be priceless. But being priceless can smooth out to $50, if you can even find a buyer. Priceless can also mean worthless, but you find that out a lot later. Big Grin

It is also easier to move a small collection than a large collection because larger collections have a plethora of average and filler cards that no one wants to pay for. So the more complete or bigger your collection is the more cards you will be throwing in for free, should you be foolish enough to think that even those few people that may appreciate it are willing to pay for it. Only the best hits can claim some demand and hope of sustained value.

Card makers can play with the base set as much as they want. It has already been amply demonstrated that short printed or ultra premium base sets elevate the price only so far and then it loses all demand. Same thing goes for parallel sets. Worse yet, if you play around too much, collectors will just be turned off and won't go into a product at all.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ed

Cool! I think it's good to have options.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Priceless can also mean worthless, but you find that out a lot later. Big Grin

That is certainly true. Looking at completed auctions for most base and chase from sets done years ago will tell you that.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post