Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preacher?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Lucky I didn't post in the ET card thread that he winds up getting home. Oops, sorry.

Posts: 70 | Location: New York | Registered: September 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Print run is 362.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Print run is 362.

That's Pretty Good News.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
I'm not in favor of pricey limited release cards like these. Not only that, the window to order them is pretty narrow, meaning that many who would have been interested in getting them wouldn't be able to do so.

As for the drama in this thread, I stand with Kryten67. The whole Cruise thing was nothing more than a throwaway line that didn't spoil or affect anything regarding the plot or characters and the over reaction to it is pathetic. Kryten67 didn't spoil anything, just repeated a joke that they found amusing. For people to resort to name calling and using the ignore function is beyond ridiculous and I would suggest that those who reacted in that way should reexamine their priorities if they are going to get that bent out of shape over nothing.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
I think, maybe, I like the idea of what they're doing here. Less waste, added value. It'll be interesting to see if it works out. The price is an issue for me definitely - I mean I don't think I'd be tempted on a property that I wasn't already a big fan of - but surely their printing costs will go up a fair amount if they're printing in small quantities and more frequently, so I can understand it. Hopefully with the more and more properties they end up simultaneously making with this model, it will reduce their printing costs overall and trickle down into pack price. It'll be interesting to observe how well they do.

Also curious if there'll be any inserts whatsoever (do they have those Dominic Cooper autograph stickers from the cancelled Warcraft set lying around?)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rwn410,

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Print run is 362.

So if the print run for the 5 cards from episode 1 is 362 sets, that's $7,240 collected total. Certainly some people will be purchasing multiple sets to squirrel away for resale, so the actual number of buyers may be less than 200.

Unless I'm missing something, that is not a good response. Manufacturers can and do put out limited product at 300 cases and are OK but 362 full base sets, if that stands around the same number, can hardly be worth the license it takes to make them.

Now going forward, and depending on the success of the show, that number of buyers may increase and the first episode cards may become sought after. Or people may lose interest and stop picking up episode sets, thus reducing the number of full product sets because once they drop episodes the quantity goes down.

I really can't see this holding to so low a number of sets either way. If the show takes off, they would be foolish not to print as a complete set again. If it doesn't, the short print run won't matter because there will be little demand.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
It's a gamble............................................................................................................ but it's a very Small Price to take a chance on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kryten67,

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
If you went ahead and got the 15 packs, you own over 4% of the print run. Eek

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, gimmicks galore.

I think I dislike everything about this idea.

24 hours to order then they're gone, driving up the re-sale price from the dealers who ordered a load of packs in one go? - bad

No facility to pre-order each new set in one go, like a subscription - bad

$20 for five ordinary cards in the first place - bad

No hits - bad

US only without absurd shipping costs - bad

Yep, I dislike everything. What an awful idea.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
The non-sports collector base seems resistant to new things (*cough* premium packs *cough*)

Depends how they're done. Premium in the Breygent style of things - all hits, or a full base set plus good number of hits - are absolutely fine. The version where you get a handful of base cards and just one or two hits is about as bad as this new idea is (it's basically the same, except without the hits and at least the guarantee that you won't get duplicate base cards).

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
The non-sports collector base seems resistant to new things (*cough* premium packs *cough*)

Depends how they're done. Premium in the Breygent style of things - all hits, or a full base set plus good number of hits - are absolutely fine. The version where you get a handful of base cards and just one or two hits is about as bad as this new idea is (it's basically the same, except without the hits and at least the guarantee that you won't get duplicate base cards).

Not to get off topic, but... What I would have liked is something closer to the Rittenhouse model, where it's $50 and you get an autograph or two, a few lower level inserts, and increase to maybe 10 or so base cards. Breygent's boxes are over $100 so I have not picked any up. I never completed any of the premium pack base sets because of cost, but adding more base cards would fix that. And there are just sets that can't sell enough as boxed out products and would work great as premium packs but instead now we get nothing because the market rejected pp. Something like The 100, which is my favorite show, would work really well as a premium pack product (and really great as a Rittenhouse product because of the large cast available to sign, many of whom have already signed for RA like Henry Ian Cusick, Katie Stuart, Richard Harmon and Erica Cerra).

Back on topic... I bought one set for Preacher. I will probably buy all ten unless the show quality drops off completely. I wouldn't do that for any other license that Topps has except Doctor Who, but I like the idea of them doing something new and being able to get in on the ground floor. It makes base sets interesting again, which is something people have complained about as long as I have been a member here.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Yea, I did order 15 Sets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kryten67,

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Preacher Episode One Cards Have Shipped....FYI.

Got my Tracking Number from Fed Ex

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
And this is why I have slowly been getting out of the hobby.....

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't like it either as a whole. I get people liking that Topps is trying something different but overpricing cards at the start is not the customer-friendly (nor dealer-friendly) way to go. The number of high-end card collectors who are willing to gamble on a maybe has not increased in recent years.

If Topps were going for novelty and profit and doing a little something for the collector too, this Preacher set should have started as a promotion. They should have announced that they would be giving away a four-card subset for one day but collectors would have to buy the next five cards if they wanted to continue the set. If you bought the five, you got the next four for free with the option to buy the next five. After that, you could stick the customer for the next group of cards but then the customer should get some kind of bonus like an autograph and perhaps random orders would get still another autograph or prototype or something. You have to give the customer paying through the nose something extra for going along with this experiment. Then again, maybe that is a fiendish plan too.

Quite frankly, I don't know what "Preacher" is other than it's a new show that one of my friends is recording.

quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Wow, gimmicks galore.

I think I dislike everything about this idea.

24 hours to order then they're gone, driving up the re-sale price from the dealers who ordered a load of packs in one go? - bad

No facility to pre-order each new set in one go, like a subscription - bad

$20 for five ordinary cards in the first place - bad

No hits - bad

US only without absurd shipping costs - bad

Yep, I dislike everything. What an awful idea.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
Ive been in the hobby 40 years now-32 as a dealer.
If i tried to sell 5 base cards at this price my customers would laugh,but if you say only available for 1 day and sell direct suddenly its gold?
I really don't get it.

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pendragon
posted Hide Post
I agree Paul.

$20 for 5 base cards...

E-cards...

Infinite parallel sets...

WTF is going on???!!

Posts: 429 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: January 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well to me this is just an extension of the new custom card set that was brought on in part by the invention of Kickstarter card campaigns and the idea that anything with a limited supply and an internet gimmick will create demand.

From what I have seen of these cards, front and back, they look like promos. There is not a lot of text and the ordering and delivery times are so short, production has to be fast. I'm not versed on printing this type of item, but there can't be much going into it if the cards can be spit out on this weekly schedule.

Nor is this a custom card set in the sense that someone can order something that someone else can't. If you buy every episode, your set will be exactly the same as all Preacher sets, except that the number of complete sets at this point should never be greater than that of the first order of the first episode. It will probably be less since I would not expect that every first buyer will follow through on every episode.

Honestly this one does not bother me at all. They are trying something on a really limited title with a specific fan base. The cards cost too much for what they are, but if buyers are willing too pony up because they really want the title, that is their business.

When it did bother me was when Mars Attacks went Kickstarter. When it would bother me is if a Walking Dead or a Star Wars set went to this type of release. That bothers me because a popular title with an established base of card collectors shouldn't pivot into over priced custom printings where you have to jump threw somebody's ordering hoops to buy a too expensive, non-essential product.

But it's always the buyer's choice. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
if you got a set of the Cards......

Dominic Cooper will be in Philly this weekend @ Wizard World...along w/

& In Mid June at Comicpalooza Houston TX (Aliens Cast Reunion) for all your Autograph needs w/

among others........

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
15 sets