Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Avengers Silver Age
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avengers Silver Age
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted
When is a sketch card not part of a set?

What this set boils down to is that it was the cheapest for Rittenhouse to produce using their vast stock of undistributed sketches that they always denied they had (I've asked). 3 sketches per case, with very few being new, means that if you're not a case buyer, but lucky enough to get a sketch, you may still not get one from this set. I ordered 5 boxes before I had all the information. Hope I'm not buying from a dealer that strips all the sketch boxes and sells the rest.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
Picture of Robert Kohlbus
posted Hide Post
Of the 46 sketch card artists in the packed boxes, only three of the artist's sketch cards are from a previously released set. These sketch cards are from our "Greatest Heroes" set and were drawn by Mike Lilly, Nestor Celario and Joshua Flower. The artwork on these sketch cards is fantastic and we wanted to get their work into the hands of the collectors, so we included them in this set.

There are ten previously unreleased sketch cards from our "Heroes and Villains" set that have been added to the Avengers Silver Age Archive Boxes -- these are not in the regular boxes and cases.

All of the other sketch cards found in the boxes of Avengers Silver Age are newly commissioned pieces of artwork from 44 different artists exclusively for this set. A complete list of sketch card artists for this set can be found on our website.

Posts: 279 | Location: Jenkintown, PA | Registered: December 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
.... 3 sketches per case, with very few being new, means that if you're not a case buyer, but lucky enough to get a sketch, you may still not get one from this set. I ordered 5 boxes before I had all the information. Hope I'm not buying from a dealer that strips all the sketch boxes and sells the rest.

Are you not interested in the Archive cut cards, I would have thought they are the main reason for buying a box??

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
.... 3 sketches per case, with very few being new, means that if you're not a case buyer, but lucky enough to get a sketch, you may still not get one from this set. I ordered 5 boxes before I had all the information. Hope I'm not buying from a dealer that strips all the sketch boxes and sells the rest.

Are you not interested in the Archive cut cards, I would have thought they are the main reason for buying a box??

Looking at the box breaks and eBay, they are the only reason to buy. I thought this was a sketch product like the other recent ones, but at only 3 per case it is not.

Plus we are not talking about masterpieces of art when you do get them. The ones I have seen are certainly decent sketches, but the quality is in line with the other Marvel products that had one per box.

I do think that for collectors who actually are interested in the Archive cuts they might do pretty well in picking them up for a good price.

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not when I've got the original comics Frown

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Totally agree, I don't understand the fascination of a piece of comic book made into a card. Twak

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Don't buy the sealed boxes then, Eek Oops! I'm beginning to sound like Wolfie. Seriously, it does not make sense shelling out loads of $$$ for a product you are not 100% happy with.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Don't buy the sealed boxes then, Eek Oops! I'm beginning to sound like Wolfie. Seriously, it does not make sense shelling out loads of $$$ for a product you are not 100% happy with.

I didn't!!!!

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't buy the sealed boxes then, Eek Oops! I'm beginning to sound like Wolfie.

Big Grin Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

When I ordered my boxes, I didn't realise that it was going to be an Upper Deck type ratio for the sketches. I had just assumed that it was going to be like every other Rittenhouse release.