Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Daredevil (Netflix) Seasons 1 & 2 Cards from UD in March/April
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daredevil (Netflix) Seasons 1 & 2 Cards from UD in March/April
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
From my upcoming February Newsletter:

quote:
Daredevil (Netflix TV Series) Seasons 1 and 2
Upper Deck
March (might slide into April)

Upper Deck is taking a chance on the show that is too brutal for regular TV, and I think it will pay off. Not a lot of details yet, but here is what we do know:

100 Card Base Set
Base Parallels: /299, /99, /49
Film Cell Cards
Autograph Cards
Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock / Daredevil
Elden Henson as Foggy Nelson
Deborah Ann Woll as Karen Page
And more to be announced?

20 Packs Per Box / 12 Boxes Per Case

Excited that the Netflix shows are getting some card attention. And an announcement with 3 main cast members participating is beyond expectations.

Can't wait to see if we get any more info before we have to place pre-orders. But honestly this is more than normal.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Sounds really cool Cool

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Seems like UD has already announced their intention of putting this title into e-packs shortly after release. I still don't know what to make of that whole idea. Is it good or bad for collectors who buy boxes? It seems like splitting up the baby. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Seems like UD has already announced their intention of putting this title into e-packs shortly after release. I still don't know what to make of that whole idea. Is it good or bad for collectors who buy boxes? It seems like splitting up the baby. Big Grin

Well. . . I was thrilled to see Goodwin 2017 hit ePack. I tried buying boxes or packs from my local baseball card shop (that isn't all that local) multiple times. They never had it in stock, and didn't seem interested in ordering it. The guy I needed to talk to about ordering it was never there that day.

Kind of oddly twice when I asked about it I was asked "If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to buy that?"

Ultimately I was able to get packs on ePack, so I was really happy. Also I was able to buy packs and not worry about them being cherry picked.

Daredevil will be interesting. I am curious to see if there is enough demand to support a set. ePack might actually help that. . . It's a product I would probably never buy a box of, but might pick up some packs.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:

Well. . . I was thrilled to see Goodwin 2017 hit ePack. I tried buying boxes or packs from my local baseball card shop (that isn't all that local) multiple times. They never had it in stock, and didn't seem interested in ordering it. The guy I needed to talk to about ordering it was never there that day.

Kind of oddly twice when I asked about it I was asked "If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to buy that?"

Ultimately I was able to get packs on ePack, so I was really happy. Also I was able to buy packs and not worry about them being cherry picked.

Daredevil will be interesting. I am curious to see if there is enough demand to support a set. ePack might actually help that. . . It's a product I would probably never buy a box of, but might pick up some packs.

Goodwins are very popular with sports card collectors because, although its a pretty mixed bag, most premium hits are of sports stars. Since it is UD, your shop may just have had problems with UD's distribution system and doesn't want to bother with alternative ways to order boxes. Some stores just have one source and if that doesn't get UD they will look no further.

My LHS does manage to bring them in and runs through boxes fairly quickly. But for a sports card store to ask why you want Goodwins is odd because a lot of people want them and they should know it.

As far as the e-packs go, you like them and find them helpful, as your example illustrates. I am looking at it from strictly a box buyer's standpoint and I'm concerned that e-packs dilutes what goes into the boxes. Especially possible since we can't figure out the production numbers, not knowing what is held back, and some premium hits sometimes come out as e-pack exclusives after the boxes are released. I don't mind the option of e-packs as long as traditional box buyers don't get shorted on the good stuff. So that was my question when I asked if it was good or bad thing.

I don't know if Daredevil can support a full release either, but if the important actors are involved already, that is a big plus. Nothing worse than putting out a product without autographs from the main stars, so guaranteeing Cox from the start is huge.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I don't think ePack affects things too much. Think of it as a large retailer who handles product. They sell at full-retail price unless having a sale. So in that respect, most dealers can beat their price.

As far as holdbacks, I've been assured that the odds within ePacks are the same as within the regular hobby release. There have been some exclusives before, like the Ian Holm from Alien. But in that case it was because the card was late from signing and didn't make it into the original product.

I think Daredevil will be able to support a release. It's popular with fans and unlike network shows people are still finding it and able to watch from the beginning. I'm hoping they don't hold anything back for future releases though, do this one right and others will follow.

Ed

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Goodwins are very popular with sports card collectors because, although its a pretty mixed bag, most premium hits are of sports stars. Since it is UD, your shop may just have had problems with UD's distribution system and doesn't want to bother with alternative ways to order boxes. Some stores just have one source and if that doesn't get UD they will look no further.

This store definitely doesn't have an issue getting Upper Deck products.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

I think Daredevil will be able to support a release. It's popular with fans and unlike network shows people are still finding it and able to watch from the beginning. I'm hoping they don't hold anything back for future releases though, do this one right and others will follow.

Hopefully you are right. . . Based on ratings it looks like Gotham had nearly double the viewership in Season 1 than DD had in Season 1. Although Netflix doesn't release cumulative viewing numbers that I have seen so over time those ratings mean nothing.

I was surprised Gotham was canceled, I like the show, and think they did a great job with the sets. I personally also think the Gotham cast is more interesting from an autograph perspective.

Hopefully UD keeps the Daredevil set gritty like the show and the set finds an audience. . . I'll likely pick up some packs on ePack.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
more details courtesy of GTS...

quote:
Configuration: 12 boxes/20 packs/5 cards

2018 UPPER DECK DAREDEVIL SEASONS 1 & 2 (NETFLIX) TRADING CARDS PACK HITS:
(1) Parallel or Insert

2018 UPPER DECK DAREDEVIL SEASONS 1 & 2 (NETFLIX) TRADING CARDS BOX HITS:
(1) Autographed or Sketch Card
(4) Episodic Original Art Cards
(1-2) Film Cel Cards
(20) Parallels or Inserts

2018 UPPER DECK DAREDEVIL SEASONS 1 & 2 (NETFLIX) TRADING CARDS CASE HITS:
Film Cel Autographed Combo Cards
Film Cel Red Tint Parallels
Dual Actor Autographed Cards

2018 UPPER DECK DAREDEVIL SEASONS 1 & 2 (NETFLIX) TRADING CARDS PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS:

Single and Dual Actor Autographs! – Look for a prime collection of cast member autographs! Confirmed signers include:
  • Charlie Cox as Daredevil/Matt Murdoch
  • Elden Henson as Foggy Nelson
  • Elodie Yung as Elektra
  • Deborah Ann Woll as Karen Page
  • Bob Gunton as Owl
  • Vondie Curtis-Hall as Ben Urich
  • . . . and several more TBA!

Unique 1-of-1 Original Sketch Cards!

Film Cel Cards! – Find and collect cards featuring embedded pieces of simulated film cels. Look for short print as well as actor autographed versions!

Episodic Original Art Cards! – Featuring artistic re-imaginings of memorable scenes from the show. Look for artist-signed versions numbered to 49!

Insert Sets – Four different insert sets showcasing a variety of key elements of the show; everything from multi-language translation cards to Life Lessons from Stick!

100-Card Base Set – Featuring authentic stills from the TV series (nominated for 5 primetime Emmys), with three (3) different foil parallels to collect – the rarest numbered to 49!

• Nice to see 1 Big Hit per box that does not include a manufactured hit.

Good to see Elodie Yung on this auto list.

Would like to see the SRP, hoping it's closer to Thor: Ragnarok than to Guardians. I'm betting we see that next week.

Also interesting that John Bernthal isn't on the list. Could they be holding that back for a full Punisher set?

Ed

Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of Ryan Cracknell
    posted Hide Post
    Full checklist is up: https://www.beckett.com/news/2...s-1-2-trading-cards/

Joe Bernthal (The Punisher) is included among the autographs.

Find me on:
    Twitter
    Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Scifi Cards
    posted Hide Post
    Boxes are in the $115-$120 range.

Sort of expensive for a TV set, but they have a fantastic checklist.

I'm in for a few.

Ed

Bronze Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    Any updates on a release date?

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gold Card Talk Member
    Picture of Graham
    posted Hide Post
    This set seems to have enough to collect without the company making fake cards i.e. film cells. I'd rather see costume and prop cards and maybe more sketches. We in the UK would be looking at the £90 - £110 range for a box - way out of the league of most collectors here.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    Too expensive for only one proper hit per box. Hopefully this will be like Upper Decks Firefly release and will be available at a more sensible price in 6 months to a year.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Diamond Card Talk Member
    Picture of Raven
    posted Hide Post
    On the one hand, UD is getting new titles and putting out very nice cards. On the other hand, the cost and box composition make it impossible for all but the most dedicated fans of the title to find value in buying product. The general non-sport card collector, who just appreciates new cards and new titles, has to pass and hope that the product fails to catch on and has a fire sale.

Does anyone see any sense in this? Shouldn't we be getting sets that will turn into hits because of demand, rather than hits that have to fail in order to find the demand they really had in the first place?

Gold Card Talk Member
    Picture of Graham
    posted Hide Post
    It needs to be a guaranteed auto with maybe a sketch as well. Not either.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
    Too expensive for only one proper hit per box. Hopefully this will be like Upper Decks Firefly release and will be available at a more sensible price in 6 months to a year.

With ePack I'm guessing that fewer and fewer Upper Deck products will wind up dumped. I'm guessing whatever they don't sell they'll just put on ePack rather than selling at deep discounts to distributors.

posted Hide Post
    The autograph list is impressive. Certainly there are some additions I'd like to see, but they have a ton of main/memorable characters. Hopefully they won't be too hard to hit.

Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:

With ePack I'm guessing that fewer and fewer Upper Deck products will wind up dumped. I'm guessing whatever they don't sell they'll just put on ePack rather than selling at deep discounts to distributors.

I must be getting old Roll Eyes , I just don't understand the appeal of epacks. I want to open packs, feel the cards, touch the material in a costume card. I also don't trust opening online, seems to me much too easy for computer hackers etc to fiddle.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Diamond Card Talk Member
    Picture of Raven
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Triple-Frog:

I must be getting old Roll Eyes , I just don't understand the appeal of epacks. I want to open packs, feel the cards, touch the material in a costume card. I also don't trust opening online, seems to me much too easy for computer hackers etc to fiddle.

ePacks do have real cards in them, as well as the whole collecting of digital cards thing. I don't do it, so I know only what I glean from other forums where it is more popular. Its a different way to collect cards, but I am too old for it. Big Grin

But let's assume that you are correct in your guess webjon, and I don't know that you are, but let's assume. Doesn't that mean that UD is designing product with ePacks as the end game. So what if the distributors and dealers get stuck with unsold product, we can sell our inventory direct. So what if box value and case value isn't there, we can get rid of it in ePacks.

Wouldn't that be a complete shift in how product is designed, if ePacks are supposed to be the real destination for card buying? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't see that as the answer for UD. If that truly is their new strategy for non-sport cards, they should just see if they can stay in business selling ePacks and don't bother with the sham of making boxes at all.