Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Kickstarter Projects With Trading Cards

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/4047061136

December 18, 2014, 07:43 PM
stevetrek
Kickstarter Projects With Trading Cards
The Kick starter projects I have contributed to also did not follow through with their promises.
December 19, 2014, 07:32 AM
Studio-Hades
I've done 10 and have had only 2 that didn't deliver. Bad behaviour certainly blackens the name and makes it harder for other people to fund, especially if they have no history.

March 11, 2015, 10:25 AM
Jason00
Not a Kickstarter, but still crowdfunded: Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion are doing a web series and one of the rewards is trading cards from the fake series they both starred in. You can contribute here although I won't be since all the rewards I want are expensive.

I have been burned on 3 of the last 4 Kickstarter campaigns I contributed to (thanks to The Doubleclicks for being the good one, and they could not have run theirs more perfectly) and won't be doing any crowdfunding for a while anyway.

March 11, 2015, 11:46 AM
Raven
There is a article in the March 2015 Fraud Magazine entitled Crowdfunding or Crowdfrauding that is pretty informative. One case that is discussed involved playing cards and other merchandise that might appeal to hobby collectors.

It is pointed out that Kickstarter in particular does do investigations when red flags appear. But this crowdfunding has been going on for several years for entrepreneurs seeking backers and for backers that want to invest in a variety of new business ideas.

You have to be careful with crowdfunding, as with any type of investment. The tips are to pay attention to the sources of raised funds, research the people or company behind the campaign, and objectively compare the campaign's goals and funding prices to those of similar campaigns. That's from Leslie Parker, CFE, CPA, not to infringe on anyone's article.
March 13, 2015, 12:46 PM
David R
I can understand the frustration with some of these. In Dec/Jan I pledged $ 50 each for 4 different Kickstarters, and the rewards won't ship until at least 4 months later ! Hard to keep tabs on these things.

The worst was the Mars Attacks where the cards shipped more than a year after the Kickstarter ended !
April 08, 2015, 07:55 AM
monkeyafterdark
Another trading card project on Kickstarter for fans of comic book artist Mike Allred and his signature character Madman.
Madman Comin' Atcha 3D Trading Cards
It promises a full card set and, depending on what pledge level you choose to partake in, signed cards.

As to previous comments in this thread about shipping times I've come to accept that Kickstarter projects rarely are sent out on a projected date. Probably this is due to the big wide chasm perceived low threshold of starting up a KS project and actually realizing it. Generally patience has paid off. I've yet to encounter a truly disastrous KS realease on my path. (Fingers crossed and touching wood and what not)
April 08, 2015, 02:54 PM
cmcdjj37
Super excited! Looks like it will be a fun set to have.

I finally got the first Kickstarter I pledged to last week! Took a year longer then was promised but at the end of the day it was well worth it.
April 09, 2015, 10:41 AM
webjon
I'm still waiting for Geek A Week -- It's been too long of a wait and communication about the project has been sparse. . . It's definitely made me far more picky about what I'll back.
October 25, 2015, 06:13 PM
monkeyafterdark
The main item of this KS-campaign is a comic book of a decidedly adult nature. After all, Widow was one of the more illustrious of the 80s-90s bad girls.
The writer/artists of this comic, Mike Wolfer, has already announced on facebook that the next stretch goal will be a set of three brand new promo cards. On top of that, there are a limited amount of complete promo card sets (14 cards in all) readily available as an add-on to any pledge. These promo cards are all from quite some time ago and really hard to collect.
Uncut sheets are also available as an add-on to any pledge.

AS I'm a fan of Wolfer's signature character I'm definitely in. And I understand that these horror-erotic works are not everyone's cup of tea. Just wanted to give a heads up before the cards are all gone Smile

Maximum Widow Archives - Addendum
November 11, 2016, 04:36 PM
monkeyafterdark
Here's a KS-campaign for those who may have looked at the Madman trading cards over a year ago. It's mainly for a follow-up set of nicely retro-looking cards and has the option of getting that earlier Madman set as well.
At this time it's $140 away from the first stretch goal.
G-Men From Hell Retro Cards
November 18, 2016, 02:10 PM
David R
There was a recent Kickstarter campaign that I pledged towards that did a small set of cards commemorating the 1960 Little Shop of Horrors film with Jack Nicholson

Now, the same fellow has one called Sharks ! The card set has linen cards, parallels, and actual shark teeth relic cards

If you do a search of KS, you can find it